Sid Meier's Railroads

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've noticed that Sid Meier has released a new version of Railroad Tycoon. Has anyone seen it? I don't usually (in fact, ever) play computer games but I did play the original Railroad Tycoon and liked it a lot and thought the second one wasn't bad either. Anyone have any thoughts about the new one?

That's funny, I stumbled upon this forum while looking for discussions on that game. I have only been playing it for a week or so, but it is a fun game. It is very easy to pick up and play, spending 15 minutes to do the tutorial will teach you just about all that you need to know. As far as I have seen, it is not a very deep sim game. You connect the cities with rails, and set up your trains' schedules and payloads, filling the supply and demand for each location. There is no building involved... you drag and drop track, and the cities grow around it. There is no placing buildings or landscape, it just happens as you go.

IMO, the game is simple to learn, and not much harder to master, but a fun way to spend some game-time. Throw on some tunes and fulfill LA's demand for gold, and Detroit's demand for power, good times.

I saw the game also, and if you were a big fan of the Railroad Tycoon series (especially part 3) then this game might disappoint you.... The game play is much more game-like (if that makes sense). It looks very cartoonish, and in fact the characters are cartoon caracters. Some aspects are much more annoying than the original Tycoon series.....

Of course, this was just my opinion of it, and I very well might still buy the game just to play, but I would have prefered having a full version of Railroad Tycoon 3 (which I have not been able to find for sale anywhere in or around Chicago, but I might buy off Amazon).

There are demo versions of both games available on GameSpot.com if you sign up as a member for free.... The demo really gives you an understanding of how both games work, so if you would like to compare the levels of reality and game play, try the demos before you spend your $40+tax.....

Back