Siemens Caltrans/IDOT Venture design, engineering, testing and delivery (2Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. 6 and 3. That's what I thought. Now I wonder when they'll be delivered, where they are in the long line. and that's only enough for four-car Hiawatha trains, assuming the current two trainset arrangement. I have a feeling that Horizons (or Amfleets, whatever)are going to be around Chicago for some time to come.
One Hiawatha set will be made up of WisDOT owned Ventures while the other set will be the cars shared between the states. As for delivery. I believe mid 2025 is when they arrive, they were ordered after the original Venture order but before the Airos.

One Hiawatha set will be made up of WisDOT owned Ventures while the other set will be the cars shared between the states. As for delivery. I believe mid 2025 is when they arrive, they were ordered after the original Venture order but before the Airos.
That seems like such a weird way to do equipment ownership. I guess the WisDOT Ventures are just to guarantee equipment on the Hiawatha or something?

Thanks very much for this information. I believe that in the currently-delivered Midwest order, there are 17 trainsets. I'm assuming that, minus the Hiawathas, Chicago needs 15 Venture trainsets in operation at any one time, with two out for regular maintenance and perhaps protection. That assumes that the Illini and Saluki are eventually converted to Venture from Superliners. Anyone know if I'm correct on this?

Thanks very much for this information. I believe that in the currently-delivered Midwest order, there are 17 trainsets. I'm assuming that, minus the Hiawathas, Chicago needs 15 Venture trainsets in operation at any one time, with two out for regular maintenance and perhaps protection. That assumes that the Illini and Saluki are eventually converted to Venture from Superliners. Anyone know if I'm correct on this?
Illini and Saluki won't be till CN is happy with crossing circuits being activated by lightweight trains

I just wish they had used a better paint scheme on the cab cars. I mean seriously, a blue cab with no kind of transition and doesn't even attach to the blue window stripe. And the way the yellow stripe attaches to the cab's blue is not very good either. People completely unaffiliated with Siemens or Amtrak have made better paint schemes for the cab cars. Here is an example form a steam game DLC where whoever made it combined the Charger cab paint scheme with the Venture paint scheme.
1716789886597.png

I just wish they had used a better paint scheme on the cab cars. I mean seriously, a blue cab with no kind of transition and doesn't even attach to the blue window stripe. And the way the yellow stripe attaches to the cab's blue is not very good either. People completely unaffiliated with Siemens or Amtrak have made better paint schemes for the cab cars. Here is an example form a steam game DLC where whoever made it combined the Charger cab paint scheme with the Venture paint scheme.
View attachment 36762
I agree. When I saw the video of 9301 at the Siemens Mobility facility I thought the paint wasn’t done. It really sucks that it goes from those nice San Joaquins colors to a straight wall of blue.

I wonder about the durability of those antennas. They are close to the top of the rail. What happens when the train hits some sort of debris? Even a loose rock bouncing around could hit it.
Underslung antennas for signaling/control stuff is not all that uncommon even on very high speed lines outside the US, and certainly ACSES in the Northeast requires those transponder antennas. I don't think antenna damage is a huge issue anywhere. It is a very well understood technology with much experience under the collective belt.

If you read the waiver request you will ascertain that the antenna will normally have more clearance than the FRA requires. Amtrak is just anticipating that under certain wheel wear the loco antenna distance might be less than the FRA clearances require. Seems a no brainier IMO as a possible distance "MIGHT" be less than FRA requirement.

I wonder about the durability of those antennas. They are close to the top of the rail. What happens when the train hits some sort of debris? Even a loose rock bouncing around could hit it.
Automatic Train Stop (ATS) has been in use for nearly a century and has proven to be a reliable system. The pickup shoe is mounted on the outboard side of the loco truck and is positioned to pass within 1.5" of the stationary shoe mounted trackside (per Wiki). Hopefully the shunt antenna will prove to be similarly durable.
1717003683576.png

Automatic Train Stop (ATS) has been in use for nearly a century and has proven to be a reliable system. The pickup shoe is mounted on the outboard side of the loco truck and is positioned to pass within 1.5" of the stationary shoe mounted trackside (per Wiki). Hopefully the shunt antenna will prove to be similarly durable.
View attachment 36784
The ATS equipment looks to be durable. Thank you for the explanation. It would be interesting to see what the new antannas will look like.

Interesting about Auto Train. I didn't know that. Actually, I've wondered why Amtrak prefers 800-series units to regular P42s on Auto Train. I assume it's the upgraded 800s they like.
If I'm remembering correctly, most of the P40s (800s) have an older style of brakes that works better with the autorack cars. The last few weeks have seen a lot of P42s on the Auto Train, but already they've mostly switched back to P40s. One notable exception seems to be P42 no. 179, which has been there basically non-stop for a few months. I have to wonder if they refitted it with freight brakes as a test.

Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't contract with Siemens to build maybe 8 or so extra chargers specifically for the Auto train with freight style brakes. Maybe they will, and we just don't know about it yet.

Back