Siemens SC-44 and Rail Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Amtrak bought 192 Siemens SC-44 locomotives as they were in tow behind 2 P42DC's on the California Zephyr. I have seen designs of rail cars for the future Florida Briteline and they look quite nice unlike the locomotives. I hope Amtrak will buy those cars to replace those dull Horizons. Anyway, back to the locomotive. Is it true that these locomotives will be replacing the timeless Genesis? I'd say aesthetically the Genesis wins big time. The new locomotive is atrocious! They have huge vents that pop out, the rear of the locomotive has no design, the nose is absolutely horrible, the underside isn't to bad, and don't get me started on aerodynamics. Is it going to replace the Genesis?

If they run reliably and efficiently over a long period of time, people will get over their plain appearance. I'm going to miss the AEM-7 in my territory, and it certainly never won a fashion show. The HHP-8 was much better looking, but not half the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back