Silver Service is falling apart!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
This post is going to continued in parts, there's to much to type at one time.

Silver Service is performing at an all time low! :( Management and labor manpower is understaffed, poor decision making by management and car defects are crippling all trains from Miami.

I've been working as a Foreman II for the last two weeks on the PM line and it has been mentally and physically draining. No regular Foreman would work the job, so I was asked to do it. THe PM line has 2 foremen, but 1 is out on injury and the job has not been filled. 1 man has been doing the job for 3 months and went on a much needed vacation. I wish I had said no! :(

The last 9 months has been horrible for running train!! New management has implemented a new program that has reduced manpower on the running trains. The program is that all cars will go thru the PM line and will be available to replace b/o cars on running trains. The cars should be capable of running for 90 days without a major defect. Returning all cars to 100% will take 18 months. It's not working!!!! :angry: The little defects are being ignored and slowly add up. By the time it gets to PM, it takes days to pull it together. Lack of parts keeps the cars from being returned to service. There are cars stacked up in the yard, waiting to go in PM.

Things have gotten so bad at Hialeah, The VP of Operations called Tommy Farr and wants to know why Hialeah can't get a train out on time. Tommy was here Tuesday and Wedsday and had to come back Friday.

Walked into yard Friday and Tommy wa standing at the crossing. Turns out that #98 and #92 had cars wth bad wheels and no people to work the pit. There were no replacement cars, so the diners had to be wheeled. All 3 trains were delayed by several hours. #98 departed 11:20am, #92 departed 3:45pm and #90 was still in the yard when I left at 4:30pm!!

Alot of the problem is the facility manager and the new system put in place. Hialeah has been stuck in a time warp and is trying to catch up. New computers have been installed and this has created more work for the foremen. They spend more time on the computer now and less time on the trains.

Management made all employees remove their personal golf carts from the property. A satellite warehouse was to be built in a vacant room. The carts are gone but the WH has not been done. We have to look around the yard to find a cart and this takes 15 to 30 minutes.

Management has implemented a new warehouse policy and this has slowed down repairs dramatically. I concur that knowing the yearly cost of maintaining a car is vital(it took this long to realize), but it takes 15 to 45 minutes to get a part. Due to union seniority regs, there is a constant turnover in the WH and the newbies don't know where the parts are. We are no longer allowed to go in the WH, so if the part request is wrong, we have to find a new part number and try again. Many times they say out of stock, only to find out they didn't know where to look.

Management has reduced the manpower and the number of hrs to work the trains. With PM cars backing up in the yard, there are no cars to replace bad cars in the consist. Again the program isn't working.

I sometimes wonder if this is being done on purpose! :(

More later.

You've got to be close to pulling your hair out it sounds like. Keep up the good work though, I've been on your trains a few times now in Florida and I'm thankful for your skill in keeping them together and running. Hopefully it will get better in the coming weeks.

Windigo said:
Keep up the good work though,  I've been on your trains a few times now in Florida and I'm thankful for your skill in keeping them together and running.
I'd second that Joe. I'm sure that I've found myself in at least one Viewliner that you've had your hands on.

Amtrak needs people like you, even if they don't know it. So thanks for all of your efforts. :)

Joe, thanks for all the work you do, I know all the road guys really appreciate all the work you do. I just wish there could be more effective communications between you all and management (i.e. D.C. and Fortune). There have been several cases where crews have come on too early and have outlawed because they came to work several hours too early. Example, Thursday, 98 outbound crew calls D.C. and asks if their equipment will be ready, they are told it will be and they go on duty as usual at 0615. I spoke with 98's Conductor and was asked to pick up lunch for them and bring it down to them which I did. Well at 1030 the train finally backs down to the station, I arrive at 1055, train leaves with an 1100 departure. So the crew effectively wasted four hours on the clock when they could've stayed at the hotel and a relief crew from JAX could've been saved for another train. I'm not blaming you at all for this, as it's not your fault. But something needs to be done to get better communication in place between all parties involved.

Wow, didnt know the problem was that bad. Maybe Amtrak should shave off more mgt and hire more yard workers. Its a shame amtrak is not properly funded and these problems would not exist. Maybe dc will realise that HIA is more important of a maintence facility then they think. Is sanford desperately understaffed? Maybe some pm work could be moved there. ;)

While I think its been said very well by everybody, I'd also like to thank you Joe. You guys are doing the best that you can with what little you've got. Even though Silver Service has been getting out late, the important thing is that it does leave, and that the equipment can make it to its destination.

Wow! just finally read this thread tonight. The other day I assumed that 98 and 92 were late leaving because they had been late arriving beforehand and either crew or equipment just hadn't been quite ready. Didn't have a clue it was that bad. How late would it have to get before it would be annulled, and what would that do to equip availability at the New York end the next day?? How tight is equipment at both ends? Would a non-start in MIA cause a non-start or massively late start in NY the next day, or day after?? IS HQ fully aware of the magnitude of the problems you've got down in HIA? Would it be safe (for you) for any of us to start emailing or writing to HQ with some of these details, along with requests for a written response, in order to maybe light a fire under them if they are already aware of the problems, ("UH-OH -- the public seems to be aware of some of the dirty laundry - let's start cleaning up our act!!") or perhaps make them more aware if they're not? I would be afraid to take it to a senator or congressman for fear they'd use it as one more piece of evidence that Amtrak is too much trouble, can't be salvaged, just terminate it. And the idea that Amtrak HQ might even WANT the stuff to fail so they can shut down everything except the NEC..... Phew!! What a can of worms. Miami Joe, thanks for the info. Like the stuff we get from Alan and others, it sure helps the rest of us understand what goes on. And although I've also said it before, THANK YOU for trying to keep them afloat down there!!

I agree with Amtrak WPK. I would write a letter to hq if it was ok with you, cause sometimes companies severely dislike oyutsiders knowing what is causing problems.

Well on the bright side 98 and 92 both left on time today. I was out riding Tri-Rail today and saw both trains at the station loading, and heard both pull on time.

I moderate an Amtrak Forum at another board and annually ride Amtrak Florida trains.

All I can add is keep up the good work.

So Many questions, don't know the answers. :(

I don't think letters are appropriate right now, don't know who to trust. :huh:

The wheel lathe is b/o, wheels coming from BG. Found out last month that Sanford was doing PM annuals on the V/L's. work is being routed to Sanford?? No wonder we can't get more people!!! :angry: Guess Tommy Farr is using our woes to get more people at his facility. Yesterday, tractor driver delivered wheels to yard and said he dropped 4 Amfleet wheelsets at Sanford. <_< What the hell is going on??? Is Sanford going to start doing Amfleets?? THey have enough people to take on the added work??? We can't get people to replace the ones we've lost over the last 3 yrs, and management is taking work away from Hialeah. Now you can see why we question if Hialeah is being set up to fail!!!! :angry: Something stinks!!! I'm Going to start asking some questions and try to get the union to investigate.

Gotta get out of here !!!! Don't think a train would be annulled very easily. They would blank cars first and run short consists. After seeing delays up to 9 hrs at departure, I don't know what the parameters for annulment are anymore!!! :blink:

Tommorow,

MJ B) :ph34r:

:huh: It dose sound like something odd is going on. Maybe Tommy is trying to get them to shut down Hialeah and divert all the funding to sfa. Sfa is pretty well funded because of the pride and joy though. :blink:

I thought Amtrak was supposed to improve maintence facilites and maintence this year. Hardly sound like it. ;)

Keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

Joe,

I've been here over 30 years in middle management. First Thank YOU for the hard work and efforts, please don't take it (your frustration) home nor leave. The Mechanical Department needs people like you. We are badly underfunded and have to acount for spending before we even commit to spend via "W"'s Minetta. It is a political trap at this time and if "W" is reelected we can kiss it (Amtrak & National Passenger Service) goodbye. This is a travesty by the Republicans to kill the service and chose a Halibuton or such to profit off the then increased funding just like British Rail. The Royal Dynasty must end King George the Frat Boy has to go. We have experienced five years of defferred maintenace, save for safety issues, and it will take at least 3 years to bring the fleet back to a state of reliability, we are just nine months into bringing the fleet back. We will do it but it takes time, money and hard work.

Jerry

Thanks for the insight!!!! :)

I'm aware of the financial picture and have voiced my opinion for years at this facility, when it comes to financial responsibility.

Having worked at a "state of the art" facility for 10 years, it seems that Amtrak management and its facility's are stuck in a "time warp"! We have the Spear 2000 program and paperwork has doubled. Our foremen have to do all computer inputs, so they have little time to be on the cars. Some workers exploit this problem and the PM line slows down. We have just started to keep yearly cost accounting for each car and loco.l I can't figure how the facility did yearly budget forecasts for maintenance!! :blink:

I like my job!! I love trains!!!!

Management needs to get in touch with the workers. My facility has no complete sets of maintenance manuals on the property. The older guys don't understand the changing technology on the newer cars. We never received schematics or manuals for TMI diners, concept coaches or refurbished lounges. The bigget time-eater is having to figure out the wiring of the cars without factory manuals. Only Management has access to LInk One and it's hard to find a Foreman with the manpower shortage.

While I may sound depressed at times, I've seen more change in the last 2 yrs, then the 7 yrs I've been here. As old management retires, the newer guys are more open to change.

Things are looking better everyday. I just wish management was more receptive to employee input or there was an employee suggestion program that implamented cost saving ideas. :(

Miami Joe B)

Its good news to here that in the futre Hialeah should be getting better. Why would amtrak only have the link one system available to foreman only? It seems like a waiste of resources. ;)

Joe, one of the reasons I see for having Sanford do the work is that a lot of their guys up there are really good, and get work done in a timely manner. Now this is nothing against you, but many people in the system think of Hialeah and Sunnyside as the two worst facilities in the system. Cars are constantly having defects written up and being ignored, from suspensions to A/C to comfort defects to refrigerator defects. Meanwhile Sanford is well known for turning out trains with no defects on departure, just about everyone out there knows that. It may be that Tommy's diverting some of the work up there because he knows his guys can handle it. Meanwhile, some Hialeah workers (obviously not you) have become famous for sleeping on the job, creating a larger backlog of work and poor cars on the road. I personally look at work being diverted to Sanford being little difference to diverting work to Bear or Beech Grove.

battalion51 said:
Joe, one of the reasons I see for having Sanford do the work is that a lot of their guys up there are really good, and get work done in a timely manner. Now this is nothing against you, but many people in the system think of Hialeah and Sunnyside as the two worst facilities in the system. Cars are constantly having defects written up and being ignored, from suspensions to A/C to comfort defects to refrigerator defects. Meanwhile Sanford is well known for turning out trains with no defects on departure, just about everyone out there knows that. It may be that Tommy's diverting some of the work up there because he knows his guys can handle it. Meanwhile, some Hialeah workers (obviously not you) have become famous for sleeping on the job, creating a larger backlog of work and poor cars on the road. I personally look at work being diverted to Sanford being little difference to diverting work to Bear or Beech Grove.
I have to agree in some cases with Bat-51, but the auto train probably has the best maintence people on the east coast. Hialeah has alot of older employees who as joe mentioned dont conform to new standards. Also I dont think sanford is understaffed that bad. ;)

Well kudos to Hialeah for getting 98 out on time yesterday, and 92 close to on time. But, here's my biggest issue, 91 got in at 1035 pm, 97 at 100 am last night. I know 97 had a grand total of 4 defects, one in the sleepers, one in the lounge, and two in the coaches, there needs to be a lot of work down there on turning over trains in a timely manner. Many facilities are able to turn over a train in six hours at worst, some in 5 if they're having a good day. Meanwhile in Hialeah it's going to take them about 12 hours to turn over a train, as 92's T&E is doing their orders right now. Something's not right down there and it needs to be fixed. If Hialeah can't turn over trains, maybe all of their maintenance should be liquidated and they should just be a layover facility similar to St. Albans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back