Silver Services Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdisnie

Train Attendant
Good Morning!!!

Does anybody have any information on why the 91 Silver Service has been running so late the last couple of days?

It was running about 4 1/2 hours late into Orlando yesterday and it is running about 5 1/2 hours late into Orlando today. Even by the Silver timetable this is really late, it usually runs 1 to 2 hours late.

First, I don't know. Perhaps a crewmember will see this and respond, or perhaps someone else will have already done the legwork and tell you. I haven't been following the Silvers lately, although I usually do keep the scanner on and notice when they go by here in the Orlando area.

You could just call Amtrak and speak to an agent and ask. Sometimes that will get you an answer that makes sense.

What I usually do when I have the time and am really curious, (assuming the Amtrak computer hasn't given up, and isn't saying SERVICE DISRUPTION instead of actual information) is to go back into the Amtrak web site, grab the route map with all the station names for the route, and query the arrival time at each of the stations enroute. And write it down. Comparing each actual station arrival time to the scheduled station arrival time will give you a very accurate idea as to just where, between which stations, it lost time. If you're REALLY interested at that point and have a cellphone with free long distance, look up the phone number for the stations on the route where the train first lost significant time TO, and then call and talk to the station agents and ask if they know why (train number) was so late that day. Don't do that unless you are REALLY interested, not just a casual wondering, because if too many folks do that, the station agents won't be able to get any work done.

And then of course post the responses here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The delays were due to signal/CTC problems out of Amtrak's control

Last edited by a moderator:
Much of the delays on the Silver Service past Richmond is due to CSX railroad giving freight trains priority over AMTRAK trains. While it is mandated by law that CSX, as well as every other host railroad, has to give priority to AMTRAK trains the fact of the matter is that CSX makes more money from freight. CSX stands to gain $23 million, which is allocated by AMTRAK each budget year, if passenger trains are ran 100% on time. After the 70% mark CSX is fined. But like I said, host railroads stand to make more money by giving freight priority. Unfortunately, this is giving the Silver Service (as well as other AMTRAK routes) a bad reputation and will perhaps eventually affect sales... most likely not, but it doesn't help the fight AMTRAK has to put up with the Bush Administration and certain elements in Congress as well as the US Department of Transportation. Luckily, there is a demand for train travel.

The hot weather is causing "slow train orders" due to the fear of the tracks spreading!

Co-worker just came back from Wilmington and he said it felt like they were only doing 15 mph!!!!!!!!

Work has been strange the last few months and everyone is concerned what could happen the next few months.

We have had a massive turnover in management!!!!!!!

The facility manager got "canned" a few months ago!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!!! He really made a mess and don't know if Hialeah will ever be the same. Every 2-3 weeks, we get a temporary manager from NOL or SFD, no word on a permanent manager! All new GF's!!!!!

Taking it "one day at a time"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back