Silver Star mileage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battalion51

Engineer
Anthony, with the upcoming route change for the Star, how do you plan on making the old route and new route mileage available for users to use?

Oh, I'll have to get the new database structure (which is already in place, just didn't activate it yet) put in so that it will give the correct routing based on which date you entered. i'm not about to put in 34 years of timetables by hand, but i can at least do the "pre-fall 2004" and "post-fall 2004" to differentiate between the different routing/mileage, if that's what you mean. :)

That's what my biggest concern was. I don't know if it's possible to do this (or if the coding's too complicated), but Mile Trak could determine the correct mileage based on the trip date. Just a thought.

battalion51 said:
That's what my biggest concern was. I don't know if it's possible to do this (or if the coding's too complicated), but Mile Trak could determine the correct mileage based on the trip date. Just a thought.
I dont see why it wouldnt be possible, as long as you enter a date. Anthony are you going to have it autimatically assume for the current timetable if a date is not entered?

Yeah this should be easier since the Star is on the A-Line the whole way from Savannah to Auburndale (after going to Tampa), where as the Palmetto goes A-Line, SP Line, S Line, AR Line, A-Line.

Perhaps Mr. Haithcoat, if he's reads this when he gets back online, has some book in his vast library that can tell us the exact mileage between Auburndale and Tampa Union Station. Then we just double that number, and add it to the distance shown between Kissimmee and Winter Haven. I don't know if one should also account for the slight extra mileage near Ybor City where the train will wye in order to back into Tampa Union Station.

Superliner Diner said:
Perhaps Mr. Haithcoat, if he's reads this when he gets back online, has some book in his vast library that can tell us the exact mileage between Auburndale and Tampa Union Station. Then we just double that number, and add it to the distance shown between Kissimmee and Winter Haven. I don't know if one should also account for the slight extra mileage near Ybor City where the train will wye in order to back into Tampa Union Station.
Was this information ever in a previous Amtrak timetable?

Anthony said:
Superliner Diner said:
Perhaps Mr. Haithcoat, if he's reads this when he gets back online, has some book in his vast library that can tell us the exact mileage between Auburndale and Tampa Union Station.  Then we just double that number, and add it to the distance shown between Kissimmee and Winter Haven.  I don't know if one should also account for the slight extra mileage near Ybor City where the train will wye in order to back into Tampa Union Station.
Was this information ever in a previous Amtrak timetable?
I don't know about Amtrak TT's, but Bill does have an impressive amount of RR TT pre dating Amtrak. Since the tracks haven't moved post-Amtrak, that mileage would still be valid.

I'm still catching up at work from being off so much, and just now got to this part of the forum.

If I am following the "train" of thought correctly, Battallion has already answered this as being 42 miles.

OK the debate is over since the new timetable lists the mileage via Tampa. From Jacksonvile it's

165 miles to KIS

215 miles to LAK

246 miles to TPA

277 miles to LKL

294 miles to WTH via TPA

203 miles to WTH via ORL

91 miles is the Final Answer.

battalion51 said:
OK the debate is over since the new timetable lists the mileage via Tampa. From Jacksonvile it's
91 miles is the Final Answer.
And you trust Amtrak to tell you the correct mileage? :eek:

The same people who for the last 5 years at least, can't even report the same mileage from NY to DC. Look at the former NE timetables vs. the National TT's and now the combined TT's, and compare the Regional/Acela mileage at 226, while the Silver Service and other LD's actually need 225 to cover the same distance.

The LD is a little bit longer so the engine doesn't have to move quite as far from one point to another. :lol:

battalion51 said:
The LD is a little bit longer so the engine doesn't have to move quite as far from one point to another. :lol:
Um, read my post more carefully again. :) The LD actually has the shorter distance, not the longer distance. Although I do understand where you're coming from. :)

I am not sure if this info helps or hinders but, just for the record, FWIW, I checked an SCL July 1969 timetable over the weekend and it showed the mileage from Auburndale to Tampa as being 41.

Regarding Amtrak TT accuracy, has anyone else noticed the discrepancy in milealge for the Cardinal vs. Kentucky Cardinal/Hoosier State? That error's been around for a couple of years at least.

Back