Silver Star Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot .... traveling down to Orlando at the end of September on the Silver Star out of NY Penn. I know that there is a stop long enough in Washington D.C. to jump out and grab a smoke - does anyone know of other stops along the way? (I know, I know it's a BAD habit) - :(

Raillover, This is the right spot for your post. I'm personally not sure just where all the smoking stops are, I suspect that someone can answer that for you though. You can rest assured though that there are indeed some smoking stops along the way.

The obvious smoke stops would be Richmond VA, Savannah GA and Jacksonville FL because the train will be at the station for a bit. (All this could change if the train is running late and the conductor does not want any non-detraining passengers getting off the train.) Other potential stops depend on a variety of factors including: stations where checked baggage needs to be loaded or unloaded, number of passengers boarding or detraining, and the trains on time performance. Usually the conductors will announce smoke stops prior to arriving at the station.

Sometimes you will have to move to another car to get out, since there are times where all doors will not open. This should also be announced.

Smoking stops on 91/92 are Washington, Richmond, Raleigh, Columbia, Savannah, Jacksonville, and Tampa. Be sure and stay close to the train, because if it is late, the conductor will not have the train sit around the station longer than it has to.

I'd suspect Hamlet to be a possibility for an opportunity as well since this is a crew change point. Be prepared for things to be brief however, because they don't doddle in the station any longer than absolutely necessary. Your longest breaks will be in DC and JAX. In DC they switch from an Electric Engine to Diesel (or vice versa going north) so the stop is about 10-15 minutes long. In JAX they refuel the ponies, so it is also 10-15 minutes long. But stay on the platform at both locations and listen for the announcements.

Smoking stops on 91/92 are Washington, Richmond, Raleigh, Columbia, Savannah, Jacksonville, and Tampa. Be sure and stay close to the train, because if it is late, the conductor will not have the train sit around the station longer than it has to.
These stops listed above are the stops where you should have no problem getting out to smoke, especially WAS, RVR, RGH, JAX. The other two can be "iffy" if the train is late. And I am sure bat51 has seen the inbound conductor be nice and allow some folks off at HAM, but don't expect it at that particular stop. Also (on a side note), sometimes a conductor will permit a few to step down at other stops if there is a small load at a station with some time allowed in the schedule. But that just depends on ultimately the conductor and also attendant (especially in the sleepers). Don't expect to get down at stops like PTB, SOP, DNK, PAK, DLD, SBG, etc... as these are small stops. We also don't allow folks off the train when we are stopped in sidings waiting for other trains, either. Just try to stick with the stations Bob Weaver notes in his post on this route! Good luck and enjoy your trip. Let us know how it went.

OBS gone freight....

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot .... traveling down to Orlando at the end of September on the Silver Star out of NY Penn. I know that there is a stop long enough in Washington D.C. to jump out and grab a smoke - does anyone know of other stops along the way? (I know, I know it's a BAD habit) - :(

Just got back from a trip on the 97/98! You can get off at Philly for a quick smoke, usually about a five minute stop. All the rest are what everybody else has been saying, WAS, Richmond, SAV, JAX. Our sleeper car attendant let me get off at Deland, since there was quite a few people getting off on our southbound trip. Have a great trip!!!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My attendant on the Capitol Limited even let me have a few puffs through the open window of the lower level sleeper. Needless to say I left him a nice tip.

Thanks all for the helpful hints. Ususally do the Autotrain down, but this time we are taking a Disney Cruise so we don't need the car. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Saw a lady miss the train at SAV after she went into the terminal during a smoke stop. LOL. Ran after the train (which had to stop for a switch), but couldn't catch it before the train got the green.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back