Simply Railway Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love his videos, and am for sure a long time fan of his, but he does seem to have fairly low standards for food. Not that Amtrak food is at all bad, but I would never use the word 'unbelievable' to describe any Amtrak entre. That said, glad he enjoys it, and i certainly hope others do too.

He didn't use flip-flops in the Amtrak shower. Wow what a brave dude.

Saw it a couple a days ago, interesting seeing the SL fly past San Antonio station only to back into the Eagle cars.

The Sunset refuels at the UP fuel pad just east of San Antonio at last recollection.

I love his videos, and am for sure a long time fan of his, but he does seem to have fairly low standards for food. Not that Amtrak food is at all bad, but I would never use the word 'unbelievable' to describe any Amtrak entre. That said, glad he enjoys it, and i certainly hope others do too.

He didn't use flip-flops in the Amtrak shower. Wow what a brave dude.
I have never used flip flops on Amtrak. The shower is clean.

I have never used flip flops on Amtrak. The shower is clean.
This isn't a guarantee, and anyone who has contracted athletes foot would beg to disagree with you.
Hate to break it to you, but just because something looks clean, doesn't mean it is clean.

https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2018/04/shower.feet.php
edit: this is venturing off topic, but I'd be curious about starting a thread about Amtrak shower hygiene noting this video being the catalyst of the discussion.

Last edited:

I love his videos, too.

Not being as adventurous as some on this forum, I like to know exactly what I’m in for if I’m going to take a train for longer than one night or to somewhere I’ve never been, and his videos are perfect for that.

As for his excitement about the food, maybe he’s just happy he didn’t have to bring his own tablecloth. (One of my favorite lines— from when he was having a flex dinner in his roomette—“I’m French, so I travel with my own tablecloth.” Then he put it over the table in the roomette and arranged his flex meal on it like he was in a five-star French restaurant!😊

Also, as wonderful as the French food he must be used to is, remember in Europe they get stuck with just coffee and a roll for breakfast —so a full American breakfast would be exciting!

The reinstituted traditional dining on the Western trains has been receiving overwhelmingly positive reviews, so I don't think his comments are unreasonable.

The reinstituted traditional dining on the Western trains has been receiving overwhelmingly positive reviews, so I don't think his comments are unreasonable.
I didn’t say they were unreasonable.
I tried the new traditional dining (I actually included a lengthy run-down of every dish my wife and I tried in the trip reports forum). It’s great!
But I’m not about to use language like “unbelievable,” words I generally reserve for some of the best home-cooking or best restaurant food I’ve ever tried, for an Amtrak dinner.

The food is a massive improvement, but it’s still train food, and not even the best train food out there...

He just did a review of the Frecciarossa from Paris to Milan in first class. THAT food is better than Amtrak traditional dining.

I didn’t say they were unreasonable.
I tried the new traditional dining (I actually included a lengthy run-down of every dish my wife and I tried in the trip reports forum). It’s great!
But I’m not about to use language like “unbelievable,” words I generally reserve for some of the best home-cooking or best restaurant food I’ve ever tried, for an Amtrak dinner.

The food is a massive improvement, but it’s still train food, and not even the best train food out there...

He just did a review of the Frecciarossa from Paris to Milan in first class. THAT food is better than Amtrak traditional dining.
Well, Thibault does display a lot of enthusiasm and positivity about pretty much every rail trip. That's what makes his videos so enjoyable for me.

Back