sitting on Cardinal, trees across tracks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie

Train Attendant
Good morning from the Cardinal. We're sitting in Crawfordsville, Ind., (according to my GPS) due to two trees across the tracks. Staff says one tree is substantial, so they don't want to nudge with the locomotive.

We've been just creeping along, which they said was due to "bad signals," restricting speed to no greater than 15mph. Staff said bad signals could be due to the trees.

It's been a very blustery day in NW Indiana today, and there's some snow on the ground.

I don't know exact location of the trees, if they're here or down the line.

Not like the good ol days huh? Just grab a bunch of axes and all the able bodied men off the train and go to town on the trees I am just kidding of course, with all the lawsuits today and of course osha, the last thing we need is a bunch of ave wielding pax.

Not like the good ol days huh? Just grab a bunch of axes and all the able bodied men off the train and go to town on the trees I am just kidding of course, with all the lawsuits today and of course osha, the last thing we need is a bunch of ave wielding pax.
Not to mention HSA! :huh:

It was in the wee hours, so many potential axe weilders were asleep. Just arrived Cincinnati, nearly 5 hours behind schedule. Bonus is we get the Ohio River portion in the daylight.

Um, from where exactly do you "grab a bunch of axes" on an Amtrak train?

Are you saying that Amtrak should buy a dozen axes to store on each of its trains in the event of downed trees?

I don't think it's simply the threat of lawsuits that makes this an unworkable idea.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm alot better and quicker,with a chainsaw than an axe!

GregL :rolleyes:

Um, from where exactly do you "grab a bunch of axes" on an Amtrak train?

Are you saying that Amtrak should buy a dozen axes to store on each of its trains in the event of downed trees?

I don't think it's simply the threat of lawsuits that makes this an unworkable idea.
There are axes in each car as part of the safety equipment so the Card could have 6, maybe 4 as the diner/lounge and bag car may not have one.

There are axes in each car as part of the safety equipment so the Card could have 6, maybe 4 as the diner/lounge and bag car may not have one.
I assume those aren't wood axes, and therefore may not work well on trees.

I remember that the Service Standards Manual specifically says that the light sticks from the safety equipment are not to be given to children to play with, but I can't remember if it says anything about the axes.

I assume those aren't wood axes, and therefore may not work well on trees.

I remember that the Service Standards Manual specifically says that the light sticks from the safety equipment are not to be given to children to play with, but I can't remember if it says anything about the axes.
Service Manual page 4-17: "Emergency axes shall not be used by passengers to removed downed trees from the right of way. This is a Union Job and greivances will be filed."

Ok - don't go looking for it.

Actually, I'm thinking more like: How'd ya get internet service on the Cardinal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back