SKY12065'S BIG ADVENTURE

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the food category the food was fine consider where it was being served but I did have a comment in that area. For one of the dinners I ordered the Flat Iron Steak off the menu and what I got was Beef Brisket being passed off as the steak. I didn't complain though since the brisket tasted real good and tender. I'd get it again... meaning the brisket!
To be fair, the menu does not use the word "Steak". It said "Braised Flat Iron Bordelaise". I considered it tasting more like a pot roast.

We had Gywn as well on our first trip and while she did seem sweet, she was really in no condition to be doing that job. Perhaps Amtrak knows that because she had a trainee with her on our train as well.

Hello Sky12065,

Enjoying your trip report and just as interested in your eval of Roger on the CS. We had Roger a year ago from LAX to PDX and as you say, he was a bit of an odd duck. Very quiet, did what was needed (change beds, kept the RRs clean, etc but no conversations until we reached SLO when I tried to engage him in a talk on the break. He spent much time in the H Room that was unoccupied on our trip and didnt seem to be a happy fellow. The other members of the crew didnt seem to interact with him either. He did come to the lounge for the wine and cheese tasting (we didnt have a PPC on our trip in summer of 08). ;) We were hard pressed to decide what tip to give since he did his job. But needed a personality adjustment. :unsure:

Glad you had a good time on the trip.

Railroad Bill

In the food category the food was fine consider where it was being served but I did have a comment in that area. For one of the dinners I ordered the Flat Iron Steak off the menu and what I got was Beef Brisket being passed off as the steak. I didn't complain though since the brisket tasted real good and tender. I'd get it again... meaning the brisket!
To be fair, the menu does not use the word "Steak". It said "Braised Flat Iron Bordelaise". I considered it tasting more like a pot roast.

We had Gywn as well on our first trip and while she did seem sweet, she was really in no condition to be doing that job. Perhaps Amtrak knows that because she had a trainee with her on our train as well.
She may well realize what you've said and figured that it was time and will retire at the end of the year after 30 years of service. Did I mention that she is going to be having a knee operation soon?

Also, I may have not seen what you experienced since she had a trainee with her to help pickup some of the work. Anyway, my wife and I liked her attitude and behaviors and to me that carries a lot of weight in one's performance!

Edited (Forgot to respond to the Bordelaise) It appears that I didn't read the menu carefully and that resulted in my misunderstanding. I never thought of rereading the menu when I didn't get what I expected. But then again, I like what I had and at that point had no reason to do a reread. In the future I'll know the difference, but by then the menu will probably change!

Last edited by a moderator:
4th LEG OF JOURNEY.............................................................

TIME TO HEAD FOR BIG SKY TERRITORY AND TO WHERE NO MAN HAS EVER GONE BEFORE... (well I can dream, can't I?)

For those that think that I have any connection what-so-ever with BIG SKY TERRITORY, the answer is yes! I'm selling it along with that bridge bridge in New York and some swamp land in Florida! If interest, PM me and I let you know where to send the money order to and the alias name to make it out to!

Star Date 090709

What a difference the beginning of our trip on the Empire Builder was from what we experienced on the CS. We were immediately and greeted by our SA O.C. Smith. Matter of fact within the first 20 minutes he checked with us 3 times and offered some champaign. What a difference indeed! Since there was no dining car until we hooked up with the Seattle EB in Spokane, box lunches were being served to all sleeper car passengers. In it was rolled beef which I found to make for a nice meal. Before we even finished with our meal O.C. again stopped in to check if everything was OK! I fell asleep before Spokane and didn't awake until we were pulling out of the station there. So I got to miss experiencing the coupling of the two trains. Oh well, I wouldn't have seen much anyway!

Again I have to comment about O.C. Smith by saying how pleasant it is having this kind of attendant instead of the duds we had on the CS and the LSL.

Star Date 090710

The next morning was quite foggy but it didn't last long. Besides I'm used to being in a fog! :blink: I selected sausage with biscuit and gravy with grits for breakfast. It was a treat for me since I rarely have it, especially the grits which I haven't had in a whole lot of years! We were served it shortly after passing through the Flat Head Tunnel. The Flathead Tunnel is a 7.01 mile railroad tunnel in the Rocky Mountains approximately 42 miles to the west of Whitefish, Montana. It is the second-longest tunnel in the United States. The EB travels through the tunnel at approximately 50 mph. I had to pop my ears to relieve the pressure more than a half dozen times while in it, something I didn't experience when passing through the Moffit Tunnel along the CZ route.

For lunch I chose Mac & Cheese and Chocolate Bundt cake for desert. The Mac & Cheese can't quite compete with homemade M&C, but I was well satisfied with it. And what can I say about bundt cake! It's usually a favorite of mine wherever or whenever it's available. For dinner I finally ordered and enjoyed the infamous flat iron steak. No complaints from me... yum! My wife ordered Bison Meatloaf and I tried a little of it. I'll take the flat iron steak anytime!!! Again I ordered the Chocolate Bundt cake and my wife did also.

Star Date 090711

On this our final day on the EB my wife and I ordered the Continental breakfast with bacon. My wife didn't want her grapefruit this time, so yippie... I got to have a whole grapefruit which rarely happens. For lunch I ordered a beef burger, but couldn't get another bundt cake. I guess we must have single handedly sold them out the day before! At Minneapolis/St. Paul our consist picked up an additional coach car. Up to this point our sleeper was the last car on the train.

During this trip we did experience a few minor problems involving equipment, but nothing serious. First was the PA where it was difficult to hear or we couldn't at all hear announcements. Two crew members were even trying to make different announcements at the same time. The other problem was with the left seat when set in the bed configuration. It wasn't latched all the way down and would pop back up when I got onto the bed. I called the O.C. to fix it, but it again popped up after he left. Strangely enough it only latched properly after I tried to get it down properly. Perhaps it was afraid that I would sit on it if it didn't stay down! :eek:

As I end this segment I do want to make a few more comments about our SA O.C. O.C. made our beds so well that I nearly needed a shoe horn to get into the bed under the covers and some KY Jelly to slip back out! I'd also say the O.C. was one of the best SA's we've ever had in both service and attitude and for that we gave him probably the largest tip we'd ever given an SA on a two night train. (to be continued)

This is why they call it Big Sky Country.

BigSky.jpg

Photo taken from the EB in Montana a few years ago.

For those that think that I have any connection what-so-ever with BIG SKY TERRITORY, the answer is yes!
I'll trade you the BIG SKY TERRITORY for an unused station at ALB! (It's only used by a little old lady every other Sunday!) :lol:

It's not necessary for me - because it's off the SDL loophole, and I never get to it! :p
Oh no siree, you can't fool me!!! I know that the old station is going to be torn down before too much longer to make way for track 1. Thought you'd stick me with the bill... huh... didn'tcha!!! <_<

This is why they call it Big Sky Country.
Photo taken from the EB in Montana a few years ago.
You wanna see some big sky, try Amarillo. Things are so flat and open (not many trees) I can almost see the next town south of here. I can for sure see lighting from a good 30 miles away.

O. C. Smith??? I wonder how many times your car attendant has been asked if it's really true that God didn't make little green apples??? Or if it really doesn't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime??? Or if it really doesn't snow in Minneapolis in the wintertime???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Note: for the under 45 crowd, the above reference was to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMe21FYciL0

The artist who sang this song was O.C. Smith)

THE END OF A JOURNEY.............................................................

TIME TO HEAD HOME AGAIN HOME AGAIN, CLICKITY CLICK

Star Date 090711

After the customary wait in the Metropolitan in CHI following our arrival on the EB, we were taken out to the platform to board the LSL for our final leg of the trip home. When we got out there we faced what can be a nightmare situation for me. We found out that there was no 0 car as printed on our tickets and our names were not even on the roster. I'm not going to go into the detail of the entire experience because I pretty much covered it in the following posting:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=28135

Anyway, it turned out that they had a Boston sleeper at the front of the consist and the H room was not booked. What a relief that was and aside, it does demonstrate an importance of accessible rooms being kept available for as long as possible an not being booked to those not needing one until 7 days before departure AND until ALL rooms on the trains sleepers are full!

So we boarded and greeted by our attendant Mark Parker, which I spoke positively of in the above link's thread. His name tag was actually "MD Parker" so I simply called him Doc! "Aah, what's up Doc!" This should have been happening at ABQ on the SWC! :lol: Mark quickly brought us some wine, cheese, crackers and grapes! HIT THE SPOT... YUM!

Anyway, we soon had our room made up for the night in which I experienced a bit of a rough night. It was the roughest ride I've ever had to date, being literally tossed being tossed from toe to head numerous times and probably a distance of at least 4 inches or more, and for me that's no easy feat! Any more I might have wound up with a concussion!

Star Date 090712

So morning came, not soon enough for me, we had our room made up and that followed by a Continental breakfast then later a beef burger IIRC. Before we knew it we were approaching Schenectady and I figured that I'd pull my magic by getting changed out of my Easter Bunny PJ's :huh: and into my Superman outfit for the final approach to the Rensselaer Station. Alias, we arrived, I was assisted into the station, my wife went to retrieve our car from the B parking area and our Big Adventure had finally come to an end! (Not to be continued... at least this year) :)

Thanks for reading about this trip and not complaining about about any ill feeling you got in your stomach from it! :lol:

Great reports! :D

Even with the bad, there is (and was) a lot of good - makes me want to go somewhere! Maybe PDX! :p A week until I get on the big bird to PDX (the airport) :( , but I'll leave from PDX (the train station) for my LONG adventure! :cool:

(Not to be continued... at least this year) :)
That never stopped me! :lol:

Great reports! Just a week and a half now before I do that F word (fly) from Spokane to Chicago, meet up with my uncle there, and begin our little journey: Champaign-New Orleans, then the Slidell Loophole trip: New Orleans-Slidell-Washington DC-Chicago-Portland-Los Angeles. I'm getting more excited by the minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back