SL through cars on the texas eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eliyahu

Train Attendant
folks,

given the lack of stellar OTP for the eastbound sunset limited into san antonio, what happens to the through car from LAX if the sunset limited is so late that it arrives in SAS after the departure time of the texas eagle? i assume somewhere between el paso and san antonio customers are bussed up to fort worth -- but what happens to their sleeper/coach reservations? are they simply denied their sleeper (or assigned coach) seat if there is a lack of space on the existing consist, or does the eagle always have the extra cars when the sunset limited through car doesn't make it.

what i'm asking is: if a customer is booked on 422 going to CHI, does the texas eagle have the extra coach/sleeper regardless of whether they are the actual through cars from the SL in the event the latter is woefully behind schedule?

-- eliyahu

austin, tx

I may be wrong on this, but I believe they keep two spare cars (along with an extra engine) SAS in case such an event occurs.

I actually experiencced this about 4 years ago. I was riding the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle from LA to Chicago. We were "only" an hour or so late. About an hour out of San Antonio, the condcutor told me that I and other passengers would be bussed from San Antonio to Dallas to catch up to the Eagle. Since I was in a sleeper, I was not happy. I barely had time to get breakfast in the diner, and of course the bus ride was awful. We did gett to Dallas early enough to sight see.

When 22 arrived, I did get my roomette. They apparently had extra cars. After that, the trip was fined. However, if being bussed is really going to annoy you, make other plans. I would go out of my way not to be in a position that I might ride a bus in most cases, but I was trying to get a nrothbound ride on the Eagle so that I could say I rode it both ways.

Right now, the through cars sit overnight in San Antonio, so I think you would probably make this connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back