SLC to SFP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After my wife's family reunion, we (five of us) took the CZ to San Francisco to watch a Giants game and come back for the drive home to Oklahoma. Train 5 was about an hour late into SLC on the 5th. While there I got to see the new intermodal terminal next door nearing completion. Not bad, but I don't think amtrak is going to use it. The station was kind of hot since they open at 10pm and it takes awhile for the AC to catch up. So we stayed outside for most of the wait taking to the oncoming crew and admiring the American Orient Express parked a couple tracks over. We had coach seats and were in coach car 34027. Interestingly enough to me, one of the pair of seats we had had an outlet about a foot above the floor. I guess this was for the cleaners, but it was great for our kids stuff and is something to stick in the back of your mind if you travel coach. The consist was as such:

Genisis 84

Genisis 49

baggage 1160

Trans dorm 39034

sleeper 39043

sleeper 32056

Diner 38025

Lounge 33005

Coach 34032

Coach 34027

Coach bag 31042

box car ?

We did not eat in the diner, only the lounge cafe, and it wasn't bad other than the dwindling selection as we neared EMY. The train had about 267 people if I remember correctly. It was great going through the Sierra's and getting to hear the volunteers from the Califonia Railroad Museum in Sacramento narate the trip from Reno on. As we neared Colfax, there was a group of drunk young punks (20-25 years old?) mouthing off and goofing off. The main intigator even jumped into the overhead rack. I was about to get up and find the conductor when an older gentleman turned around and told them to shut-up, that they were offensive and there were kids etc, etc. The had a couple minute war of words and then it settled down while the attendant called the conductor. Meanwhile the kid started mouthing off at the man again. The main got up out of his seat approached the kid covered his mouth and then slapped him in the face! I thought the kid would retaliate, but he did not and kept repeating your going to jail now. A minute later the conductor and Assistant arrived and apparently the conductor knew this guy and you could see the worry in his face. After twenty minutes of talking he got them to shake hands and call a truce, saving his friend. Basically he told the kid that what the man did was wrong and if he had to he would stop the train and have the police handle it, but the older man wouldn't be the only one removed since the kids were drunk and essentially provoked the whole thing. That sobered him up I guess. Anyway we arrived in EMY about an hour and half late. We then proceeded to the Thruway connection we had to the Cal-train station in San Francisco. That was confusing. The bus drivers were contracted out and didn't have a clue. They said hold on we'll see what bus you need. After he was nearly full he asked again where we were going and then said get on. We made up over a half an hour as he dropped up off first even though the schedule showed ours as the last stop. After getting off the bus we had a short wait for out Cal-train to South San Francisco which was fun being entertained by a slightly drunk Giants fan. Overall it was a good trip. I'll post the return portion seperatly when I get time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back