Sleeper Accomodation Prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John-MCPO-USN

Train Attendant
Well, I am very fortunate that I purchased my Cross-Country Odyssey sleeping car accomodations when I did----because the prices for rooms in September are higher now:

#98 (JAX-DC) - I paid $174 (now it is $177)

#51 (DC-CHI) - I paid $378 (now it is $452)

#5 (CHI-SAC) - I paid $563 (now it is $660)

#14 (SAC-SEA) - I paid $196 (now it is $240)

#8 (SEA-CHI) - I paid $425 (now it is $559)

#30 (CHI-WAS) - I paid $233 (now it is $245)

#97 (WAS-JAX) - I paid $239 (now it is $243)

A couple of the rooms are hardly significant----but, it is interesting how much the Western LD train accomodations will increase as you draw closer to your departure date.

But, I saved $378 bucks buying early.....so, still some good money saved.

John

John:

I think I know what the initials after your name mean - I was an MU3 back in 1971 -

Well there is this "bucket price" system that is similar to airlines, where after a certain number of tickets are sold, the price goes up - it applies both to coach and sleeper tickets. It is sometimes difficult to fathom but there are folks on the forum who can explain it better than I - bottom line, buy early, as you did.

Also consider joining the Amtrak Guest Rewards program - it's a "frequent flyer" program for train riders; it costs nothing to join and points can add up pretty easily for free travel. There is a special forum here for that topic.

Enjoy your trip(s) and please do look here for more answers to any questions that come up. Best to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
John:

I think I know what the initials after your name mean - I was an MU3 back in 1971 -

Well there is this "bucket price" system that is similar to airlines, where after a certain number of tickets are sold, the price goes up - it applies both to coach and sleeper tickets. It is sometimes difficult to fathom but there are folks on the forum who can explain it better than I - bottom line, buy early, as you did.

Also consider joining the Amtrak Guest Rewards program - it's a "frequent flyer" program for train riders; it costs nothing to join and points can add up pretty easily for free travel. There is a special forum here for that topic.

Enjoy your trip(s) and please do look here for more answers to any questions that come up. Best to you.
You are correct about the initials-----still in (got 2.5 more years till 30 yr mark).

Wasn't aware of the "bucket price" system.....but, it makes sense. I was more concerned with the rooms selling out (didn't think the prices would have gone up)........

John

When I first started with Amtrak and this forum I would search for special discounts - but then I found out that the best way to buy tickcets cheaply is to buy early, or use AGR. If you have a referral to AGR you get an additional 500 pts as does your referrer. If you PM me your emaill, I will be glad to refer you

You might like this link

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back