Sleeper Car Etiquete Poll: Curtains/Door closed, or open?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

During the day, when I'm in a Roomette or Bedroom on a Sleeper, I...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that a lot of people have said in this thread that they close their door when going out of their room. I've found that when people do this the door does not 'click' into staying shut, and that the only way to keep the door shut when traveling over 'bumps in the road' is to lock it from the inside. Otherwise, the door slides back and forth, unless it opens with enough force so that it 'clicks' into the open position. Has anyone else noticed this? (I close my curtain but leave the door open to keep this from happening when I'm out and about.

My day to day professional life involves meeting too many people and working with whole lots of them. So when I travel specially for leisure, I generally like to have my private time to decompress. I still like the communal seating in the Diner, but when I am in my room I generally shut the door and curtains and chill with music and books. Nothing anti-social or anything, just that those are the only few times that I have for myself, and I cherish that. When I want to meet people there is always the Lounge to go to.

I second the appeal of train trips in sleepers as a wonderful decompression opportunity, whether on business or leisure travel. Also, if I do want to get some office work done, I can do it uninterupted in my sleeper (except for those tedious but important dining car reservation knocks :rolleyes: ).

(except for those tedious but important dining car reservation knocks :rolleyes: ).
Aloha

On occasion the LSA has announced that if you want to make a meal reservation have your door open.
Unless I am blessed with a completely hopeless SCA on the trip, usually, a little encouragement to the SCA is enough to have him/her take care of the reservation for me when I am traveling alone. When I am traveling with the AU Gathering or the OTOL Fest crew, more often than not someone else does the honors. There have been occasions when I was the one doing the reservation for a dozen. But then those trips are in general more social anyway.

I learned the hard way to close and LOCK the sleeper room door while sleeping. For years I had always left it unlocked at night because I am deaf and worried about conductors or security people knocking on the door to no answer. But then one night on No. 5 the rocking slid the door open in the small hours, and I awoke to the disagreeable realization that I was being groped. I threw a punch, missed, and fell on the floor while the groper made a swift escape. That was it.

I learned the hard way to close and LOCK the sleeper room door while sleeping. For years I had always left it unlocked at night because I am deaf and worried about conductors or security people knocking on the door to no answer. But then one night on No. 5 the rocking slid the door open in the small hours, and I awoke to the disagreeable realization that I was being groped. I threw a punch, missed, and fell on the floor while the groper made a swift escape. That was it.
TSA trainees?

I've found that a good compromise is to leave the door open and shut the curtain. This way, I get some fresh air and don't feel so boxed-in. If the noise gets to be too much, I close the door.

I never close the door and leave the curtains open. I feel like I'm part of a zoo exhibit.

People might think I'm a cave-dweller or hermit, but I don't care. I pay extra for a room so I don't have to deal with the kids and cell phone noise. My days in coach left a lot of scars. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back