Sleeper Car Warmth?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning my second Amtrak long distance trip: San Francisco - Cleveland - New York - New Orleans - San Francisco. As a senior, I can get the whole trip for about $1,336, using some "what-if" dates starting January 4. This appears very reasonable for six nights' roomette plus all that distance. My first trip in July 2008 was a blast. But this next trip will be through the mountains and along the Erie lakeshore in the dead of winter. I'm looking forward to the rest, relaxation, and snowy scenery, but I'm wondering if I need to bring an extra blanket for the roomette. In short, is the heating system in Amtak's sleepers reliable in potentially sub-freezing temperatures? Thanks for any advice you might have.

My experience is that the blanket in the room is typically sufficient. If I've had any issues in the past, they've tended to veer more towards too much warmth, rather than not enough. Our last trip this summer, the room on the Southwest Chief was fine, but the room on the Coast Starlight was an oven. So I'd maybe pack different weight of pajamas rather than pack an extra blanket. Have a great trip, the California Zephyr is really neat this time of year, lots of interesting scenery.

if you are travelling alone in a roomette you could always use the blanket from the other berth or ask your attendant for an extra. i have always found the sleepers in superliner cars on the verge of too warm for me in the winter and i have never noticed the least effect from using the heat control dial in my room.

Superliner cars (double deck) has better chance to survived in sub-zero because the pipes are insulated.

Yes, there's heater control in each room. The heat comes out below the windows. If the room is still cold even though the heater is running, I put the towel to cover up the vent on the ceiling which is A/C. The louvers doesn't shut off that good.

I wear sweat pants to keep me warm while sleeping on bed. The blanket is very thin, so it would be better to bring yours or just ask the attendant for another one.

As far as I could tell the "temperature" knob in the roomette controls an electric baseboard heater along the wall under the window. It does not affect the air that comes out of the vent in the ceiling. As mentioned above, "too hot" was much more of a problem then "too cool", even when it was below freezing outside.

Whenever I travel on Amtrak I always take my pillow from home and cram an extra blanket into the pillow case. That way if I don't like the pillows on Amtrak or at my hotel/hostel, I have my own pillow and an extra blanket if the heat isn't sufficient.

..."if you are travelling alone in a roomette you could always use the blanket from the other berth or ask your attendant for an extra. i have always found the sleepers in superliner cars on the verge of too warm for me in the winter and i have never noticed the least effect from using the heat control dial in my room."

I'll betcha anything that if ya ask the sleeper attendant if he/she could get you another blanket vs simply taking one from the unused bed they'd happily comply in a New York Minute. By doing so, they're not having to remake the other bed in the next morning. Seems simple enough to take the blanket, but the bed has to be re-made and in the mornings, literally every minute counts to have things ready in their sleeper prior to departure.

If you're travelling in a Superliner II, then the temp control is simply non-adjustable. By that, I'm referring to the one within the electrical cabinet on the lower level. Rather it is what it is. There is a "Heat Override" and a "Cool Override", but not gonna get into all that. However, if you're on a Superliner I, then there is some level of adjustment of temp by the sleeper attendant. If the temp dial (again, the one inside the eletrical cabinet) is turned to the max cool or close to it, then the "Floor Heat" (which is what is controlled by the dial in the individual rooms) won't come on.

Hope that helps!!

Agent "X"

er...meant to say that every minute helps when trying to get their cars ready for arrival. NOT departure. (Oooops, I typo'd)

Only time I ever get cold on trains is in the middle of summer. They seem to have the heat thing down, but can't figure out how to work the A/C. I actually had my thermometer with me on a trip this past July and my roomette got down to 58 degrees.

i have always found the sleepers in superliner cars on the verge of too warm for me in the winter and i have never noticed the least effect from using the heat control dial in my room.
Ditto and ditto.

My experience is that the blanket in the room is typically sufficient. If I've had any issues in the past, they've tended to veer more towards too much warmth, rather than not enough. Our last trip this summer, the room on the Southwest Chief was fine, but the room on the Coast Starlight was an oven. So I'd maybe pack different weight of pajamas rather than pack an extra blanket. Have a great trip, the California Zephyr is really neat this time of year, lots of interesting scenery.
Interesting mate! I had the complete opposite. The Southwest Chief was an oven, starlight was good. I could NOT sleep that night without the door open. It was just too dang hot. Also curious if you can fill me in. Do seniors get discount rates on sleepers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning my second Amtrak long distance trip: San Francisco - Cleveland - New York - New Orleans - San Francisco. As a senior, I can get the whole trip for about $1,336, using some "what-if" dates starting January 4. This appears very reasonable for six nights' roomette plus all that distance. My first trip in July 2008 was a blast. But this next trip will be through the mountains and along the Erie lakeshore in the dead of winter. I'm looking forward to the rest, relaxation, and snowy scenery, but I'm wondering if I need to bring an extra blanket for the roomette. In short, is the heating system in Amtak's sleepers reliable in potentially sub-freezing temperatures? Thanks for any advice you might have.
I have never been too cold in a sleeper. A few times during the winter, it has been too hot overnight, but not unreasonably.

First Id say that is a very good low bucket/senior price for this trip!Book it Danno! :) My experience has been mostly in Superliners,mostly Is, however in my only Viewliner trip on the LSL it was very comfortable last month, it was cold but not overly so outside!

The Superliners have been covered pretty well by the other posters, in my experience, it was generally very cold in the summer and a little warm in the winters! Some trains get better equipment,ie the Western routes, the old leftovers run on the Eagle,the Sunset and the City.

On my just completed trip, all in roomettes, the Chief was just right, the Starlight was a little cool and the Builder was just right.On the trip from CHI-AUs on the Eagle the car was old (surprise! :lol: ) and the SCA had to keep adjusting the temp downstairs because it was very warm! generally the in room controls have seemed to be totally worthless, the vents for the A/C in the ceiling dont do anything! I carry a light weight blanket just in case, the Amtrak blues are thin and not very big, also a fold up travel pillow to use as a prop against the metal in the arm rest and wall comes in handy!

I might just have to book this price if I can get such a good fare, I just got home last night and its time to plan the next trip! (Amtrakitis, its contagious!)

Enjoy the trip, its a great route in winter! :)

Winter should be fine, summer is usually when you need an extra blanket for some reason. Although it can depend on which end of the car your in. When we went to California on the Zephyr the end where the bedrooms were that my mom had was almost hot, my end which was the farthest roomette was freezing! Something else that falls in the poor maintenance that they have suffered from.

Winter should be fine, summer is usually when you need an extra blanket for some reason. Although it can depend on which end of the car your in. When we went to California on the Zephyr the end where the bedrooms were that my mom had was almost hot, my end which was the farthest roomette was freezing! Something else that falls in the poor maintenance that they have suffered from.
On the LSL trips we just made we were too warm going east and too cold going west. SCAs said they couldn't control it. You never know what you will have in the way of temperatures in the car.

On the LSL trips we just made we were too warm going east and too cold going west. SCAs said they couldn't control it. You never know what you will have in the way of temperatures in the car.
I agree. The roomettes in late Oct on the California Zephyr & we were freezing. I thought they would be warmer-I ended up putting my socks back on, & layering a bunch more clothes. When we upgraded to Bedroom E, however the temp was more balanced. What's funny is we only moved maybe 10-15 feet max-we were in roomette 4!

Last summer, the Zephyr seemed hotter, the Starlight was cooler!

There's nothing wrong with being prepared for the unexpected. Typically Superliner cars aren't released from their origination station unless everything is in working order. I'm sure though that many AU forum members can attest to all number of things not working on-board in their travel experiences. That being said, during the winter there are usually extra blankets on-board. As mentioned if you are traveling alone, there's always room for two to sleep in roomettes thus there should always be at least two blankets in each room. Unexpected things do happen from time to time though. If the power, HEP, for whatever reason goes down, there will be no heat at all. Any seasoned traveler will advise you to pack that extra blanket just in case.

I agree. The roomettes in late Oct on the California Zephyr & we were freezing. I thought they would be warmer-I ended up putting my socks back on, & layering a bunch more clothes. When we upgraded to Bedroom E, however the temp was more balanced. What's funny is we only moved maybe 10-15 feet max-we were in roomette 4!

The HVAC system is split into zones in the car. They are temperature controlled separately and it's usually only the system in one zone that's not working optimally thus causing the other zones to be too hot or too cold. For example during summer months if one end isn't cooling well so it must be cranked up to maximum then likely the other end is going to get too cold. If it's turned down so that end is comfortable again then the end that's not working well will be sweltering hot. It can be a real PITA for the attendants some times.

The HVAC system is split into zones in the car. They are temperature controlled separately and it's usually only the system in one zone that's not working optimally thus causing the other zones to be too hot or too cold. For example during summer months if one end isn't cooling well so it must be cranked up to maximum then likely the other end is going to get too cold. If it's turned down so that end is comfortable again then the end that's not working well will be sweltering hot. It can be a real PITA for the attendants some times.

Ah, that makes more sense now! Maybe then when they do the refurbs they could include small fans in the rooms like the old days! Unless of course they figure out out to solve the circulation issue another way......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back