Sleeper cleanliness observations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaseMeBro

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Boarded #8 just a bit ago, from SEA. Have a bedroom booked to myself.

First, I *don't* intend this as a complaint thread. The room is comfortable, the train left on time, the sleeper attendant is excellent, and I'm looking forward to dinner shortly.

There's been a lot of discussion in here about how clean (or not) sleeper rooms are. And, my last bedroom trip was.. not good. The sink was filthy, and a lot of other areas of the room generally grimy. So, I wanted to be prepared for this trip. I'm not, by any means, a germophobe, but if I'm going to be spending the better part of three days in a room, I'd like it to be at least comfortably clean.

My room is the renovated style (if I understand it correctly). While the AC controls and reading lights next to the sofa are the older modules, the upholstery is the new vinyl, the sink and countertop are newer, the carpet and curtains appear to have been refreshed.

Because I flew, carry on only to Seattle to start my trip, I was a little limited in what I could bring. So I bought a small (8 oz) trigger spray bottle, and two 3 oz (TSA approved) bottles filled with this: Amazon.com

If you're not familiar, this is an old school, very strong, very concentrated cleaner and disinfectant. It's something I've used for work gear that gets gross, as well as things like martial arts equipment.

As soon as I boarded, I mixed up my spray bottle, grabbed a few washcloths, and went to town on the room.

The vinyl seats, and headrest, seemed very clean. The white rag stayed white once i was done cleaning.

The exterior of the bathroom module, likewise, seemed pretty clean. There were some spots, like in crevices around the switches, and a bit of lower door around the wastebasket, that were definitely holding grime, but by and large this was clean.

The interior of the bathroom was, likewise, also clean. (After wiping it down, I misted everything again and let it stand for more disinfection).

The rail under the window - the perforated metal trim for the heat vent - was gross. The rag came back brown, and I dirtied more than one rag getting it clean.

The pull out table itself was pretty clean - but the surrounding part, for instance around where it folds, was not. The cup holder recesses also lost a ton of grime to the lysol.

The door - all of it - was gross. I wiped down the interior of the door, especially around the handle and the metal facing above and below, 3 full times with lots of cleaner and mechanical action before it started coming back clean.

Again - I don't mean to sound like a germophobe or complainer. This was more an exercise in curiosity. I thought it might give some insight into how the rooms (or at least this one) are cleaned.

They seem to put attention to the obvious spots - the bathroom and seat - but not hit any of the finer detail areas like door handles, light switches, and the rail at the bottom of the window.

Last edited:
When you reference the rail at the bottom of the window are you talking about the vent that can be open and closed.

The back of a door is always a tough spot. It’s how I check the cleanness when use a shower at a truckstop.

Next time I travel can I bring you with me?

For the window rail, I mean the area in the attached picture. In this bedroom, it's mostly perforated metal, not an adjustable vent - though I have seen the type you mention.

Especially where the various metal surfaces ran behind the table - like where the menu is left - clearly hadn't been cleaned in a long time.

I'm a bit like my dog - I only travel in exchange for steaks and other good food. You have that, and we can talk.

Attachments

• PXL_20231114_021946181.jpg
    PXL_20231114_021946181.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for this report. If it takes several hours to turn a train, I am truly confounded how every surface can't be wiped and vacuumed, especially for the prices they command for sleepers these days.

The places I've worked in the hospitality/restaurant industries have always put cleanliness right behind safety in order of importance. In a case like this, the supervisor would be quickly talked to or fired if management found out.

Boarded #8 just a bit ago, from SEA. Have a bedroom booked to myself.

First, I *don't* intend this as a complaint thread. The room is comfortable, the train left on time, the sleeper attendant is excellent, and I'm looking forward to dinner shortly.

There's been a lot of discussion in here about how clean (or not) sleeper rooms are. And, my last bedroom trip was.. not good. The sink was filthy, and a lot of other areas of the room generally grimy. So, I wanted to be prepared for this trip. I'm not, by any means, a germophobe, but if I'm going to be spending the better part of three days in a room, I'd like it to be at least comfortably clean.

My room is the renovated style (if I understand it correctly). While the AC controls and reading lights next to the sofa are the older modules, the upholstery is the new vinyl, the sink and countertop are newer, the carpet and curtains appear to have been refreshed.

Because I flew, carry on only to Seattle to start my trip, I was a little limited in what I could bring. So I bought a small (8 oz) trigger spray bottle, and two 3 oz (TSA approved) bottles filled with this: Amazon.com

If you're not familiar, this is an old school, very strong, very concentrated cleaner and disinfectant. It's something I've used for work gear that gets gross, as well as things like martial arts equipment.

As soon as I boarded, I mixed up my spray bottle, grabbed a few washcloths, and went to town on the room.

The vinyl seats, and headrest, seemed very clean. The white rag stayed white once i was done cleaning.

The exterior of the bathroom module, likewise, seemed pretty clean. There were some spots, like in crevices around the switches, and a bit of lower door around the wastebasket, that were definitely holding grime, but by and large this was clean.

The interior of the bathroom was, likewise, also clean. (After wiping it down, I misted everything again and let it stand for more disinfection).

The rail under the window - the perforated metal trim for the heat vent - was gross. The rag came back brown, and I dirtied more than one rag getting it clean.

The pull out table itself was pretty clean - but the surrounding part, for instance around where it folds, was not. The cup holder recesses also lost a ton of grime to the lysol.

The door - all of it - was gross. I wiped down the interior of the door, especially around the handle and the metal facing above and below, 3 full times with lots of cleaner and mechanical action before it started coming back clean.

Again - I don't mean to sound like a germophobe or complainer. This was more an exercise in curiosity. I thought it might give some insight into how the rooms (or at least this one) are cleaned.

They seem to put attention to the obvious spots - the bathroom and seat - but not hit any of the finer detail areas like door handles, light switches, and the rail at the bottom of the window.
Have you looked under your seat? I've heard that is a problem area...

Have you looked under your seat? I've heard that is a problem area...
Only a very cursory glance. I'll take out my flashlight and explore in the morning.

EDIT: To add photos. Actually, not bad. Not as bad as the condom I found inside a pizza box in a dresser at a Marriot once. So that's good.

Attachments

• PXL_20231114_045018043.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231114_045018043.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20231114_045039401.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231114_045039401.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
EDIT: To add photos. Actually, not bad. Not as bad as the condom I found inside a pizza box in a dresser at a Marriot once. So that's good.
I once found a half-eaten sandwich in the mini-bar fridge of a hotel that charged more than 200 a night. by the looks of it it had been in there for several days already, if not for a week. And the wine bottles were all empty too.

To their credit, when I did bring it up they moved me to a different (and much nicer and presumably more expensive) room without any discussion and they said I could have a drink of my choice and it would be on them.

Yes that old fashioned cleaner is the way to go and I love the smell of it. Maybe because my mom always used it. As far as cleanliness of the sleeper. I wipe and spray the things I’m in contact with the most otherwise I would be a cleaning fool lol. If I don’t see it- I probably don’t clean it on the train. lol I do spray every thing down including pillows, linen , bed with disinfectants then I have to stand outside the room until I can back in without choking.Lol I have never been in one of the newer sleepers

I once had a bedroom on the Silver Meteor that had dried chewing gum on the seats. My wife and I used Purell hand sanitizer, the edge of a coin and keys to scrub the gum off. I made a complaint to Amtrak and they sent me a $350 e-voucher. From your description, your room was much dirtier than mine was. You should definitely complain and see what Amtrak will do for you!

I dropped my pen and took my flashlight under the seat and was pretty shocked!! A lot of dust but also some lose medications! I used hand sanitizer and wiped down my roomette and though not filthy, I definitely dirtier some paper towels!
I had this experience. I found a Southwestern knick-knack -- from the Albuquerque platform perhaps -- amid the dust bunnies. I was on a Zephyr out of Emeryville.

Back