Sleeper Prices went down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailBirder

Train Attendant
Hi..

New to this website, was up all night going through interesting postings. Very nice website.

I'm taking the CZ from Omaha to Chicago, then the Capital Limited from Chicago to Alliance Ohio in Aug 06. I have a roomette on both legs, mainly because this is only our 2nd Amtrak adventure and my wife is not real excited. I want the privacy and comfort of a sleeper to keep her adventures positive. Our first trip we had a sleeper one way, and tried the coach on the return trip...the coach was a disappointment, the wife vowed never again.

My question is, the roomette prices just went down. I made reservations on the phone in Jun, and the Omaha-Chicago leg was $200.00...checked today and the price is $83.00 Chicago-Alliance leg was $162.00, and today the price is $133.00. Is there a way to get the new lower price???

Our 1st trip was the CZ from Omaha to Granby, CO in May 06. I had planned on a roomette, and kept checking the price for a couple months before the trip. One day the family bedroom was cheaper than a roomette, so that is what we got. I was worried maybe the sleepers would sell out for Aug travel to Chicago/Alliance, so bought the tickets earlier than last time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Mark

i guess you could refund your tickets and rebook. the lower price is most likely due to someone canceling their reservation and their reselling it at a discounted price.

Railbirder,

I'm somewhat new to this but I think this is what you can do. Book the new fare and new price first!!!! Then cancel the old reservation. DO NOT cancel the reservation and then try to book the new one. It may sell out in a matter of minutes. Its a website for all around the world, so who knows who is getting what. Make for sure you get some more feedback before doing what I tell you. I'm new to rail travel and don't want to tell you the wrong message.

Very surprised about the lack of responses?? I ended up cancelling the original tickets, and rebooked later at the reduced rate. I was told by the ticket agent on the phone, the best way to get 100% refunds, anytime up until the train leaves (including sleeper reservations), is to buy on the phone, NOT the website, and DO NOT pickup the tickets until just before departure.

Very surprised about the lack of responses?? I ended up cancelling the original tickets, and rebooked later at the reduced rate. I was told by the ticket agent on the phone, the best way to get 100% refunds, anytime up until the train leaves (including sleeper reservations), is to buy on the phone, NOT the website, and DO NOT pickup the tickets until just before departure.
That is true for both phone and web purchases. As long as the tickets are not printed, you will get a 100% refund. The twist I was not aware of is the sleeping car accommodation charge. I always thought the non-refundability provision kicked in regardless of ticket status, but you may well be right. The bottom line is to not have a reservation ticketed until the very last minute to retain maximum flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back