Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cincin

Does this happen very often? We are planning a family vacation this summer and I have heard some real horror stories of last minute gliches occurring when sleepers disappear from the train and suddenly you're stuck. Is this a rare happening or one that occurs often?

I would rate that as a rare occurance. And, if the sleepers are removed far enough in advance (reassignment, etc.) then Amtrak will attempt to call you at the phone number listed in your reservation to warn you. You'll also be provided with alternatives -- all at no extra cost.

The only time you'd be caught off-guard is if the sleeper is blanked at the last minute due to some mechanical problem, and no substitute car was available.

I have to agree...this is VERY rare. It does happen, but not often at all. And usually you WILL be notified. The only time things didn't go well in my experience was when I was working the CZ over the summer and they didn't give us our Denver sleeper, and the decision had just been made that day. There was even an attendant who showed up to work for it...off the extra board...he had been called for it the day before.

Part of the reason this occurred though, was because of the equipment shortage that the derailment of the Capitol Limited caused. But now that it looks like some money is coming in, and we have Gunn at the helm, I wouldn't expect more problems like this for a long time.

With Superliner trains they come up with creative alternatives when they are short sleepers. One time a few months ago when the Sunset was really late they had to build a small consist with what they had from the yard. So the train came out with a P-40, TransDorm, Diner, Sightseer, and two coaches. What was done was all sleeper passengers were placed in the one half of the Dorm and the crew took the rest. They got lucky though that the sleepers weren't booked up too much that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back