Sleeping car attendants: overnight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unitedstatesfan

Train Attendant
Do Amtrak Superliner sleeping car attendants always rest in berth 1 (roomette, upper level) or do they sometimes sleep overnight in the mostly staff (except for four public berths) sleeping car at one end of the LD train?

As was said,Roomette #1 is their assigned Room, but since it also has to serve as their Storeroom, lots of them sleep in Open Bedrooms or other open Roomettes during their " guaranteed" rest time. ( the Conductor and other OBS usually know this since they take turns covering each others cars during the night!)

As was said,Roomette #1 is their assigned Room, but since it also has to serve as their Storeroom, lots of them sleep in Open Bedrooms or other open Roomettes during their " guaranteed" rest time. ( the Conductor and other OBS usually know this since they take turns covering each others cars during the night!)
how many hours of guaranteed rest time do they have?

Only 4 hours, I think

Only 4 hours, I think
Which they deserve each night especially on the LD trips that are 2 overnights. On only one train did I think my SCA abused this privilege by sleeping during the morning hours when people needed their rooms made up for daytime seating. This was on the northbound Coast Starlight and my thought is that the other two sleeping car attendants let him down. We were over 4 hours late due to a pedestrian being hit(not fatally) at a station while still in the Los Angeles county area. So we actually did the multi stop run Oakland to Sacramento like from midnight to 4 am or so and my SCA boarded and situated all of the sleeping car boarding while the other two SCA's slept. I know this since I was in roomette 002 and heard every boarding. Seems like they all talked loudly. I remember waking up and thinking we were in Sacramento but discovered it was Martinez since there was water and we crossed the bridge over that water after leaving Martinez. So when my SCA slept from 6am to 10am or so, the other two SCA's should have checked on those of us in our car but they did not. Never the less, my SCA's tip was cut in half since I had to make up my room and then helped a neighbor room couple make their's up. While getting differing levels of SCA service on the many trains I have traveled, that was the only time I was actually disappointed. I've been mildly disappointed that CONO SCA's have not offered to help get my carry on upstairs to my room or help take them down. Not really a problem except for the narrow staircase in the Superliner car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many times if there is an empty bedroom they will use that.
^ This, although it's weird how often there's an empty bedroom for the SCA on a supposedly sold out train. In my experience Roomette #1 isn't used for revenue or for staff. It's just a very expensive closet that takes up an inordinate amount of space and earns no revenue.

Probably about 70 or 80 percent of the time lately, roomette one is just used as storage/staging and where the SCA sits while on duty. They sleep elsewhere (transdorm, open bedroom). It used to be that they slept in the roomette more times than not, but that seems to have changed over the last few years.

On the four trains I travel on this summer, two of the SCA announced they would be going off duty by 10PM until 6AM. Both of these SCA did sleep in Room 1, putting the items being stored in the upper bunk so the lower bed was made down. On the other two trains, the SCA also stayed in room 1, but never said they were off duty, instead they said they might be resting, but to knock on their door if one needed the SCA. In all cases I found the SCA to hang out in room 1 when not making up or down a room, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back