sleeping car prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a search for a July trip, and saw that the a viewliner roomette on the Cardinal is 340 extra. ON the Capitol, a superliner roomette is 179. The rail fare on the cardinal is 65, and 85 on the Capital. Even though the Cardinal does not have a diner, it is quite a bit more expensive. That is strange.

It's probably due to the fact that a regular Capitol Ltd had 28 Roomettes available, whereas the Cardinal only has 12, so it doesn't take as much for the Buckets to bump up a bracket on the Cardinal as it does on the Capitol.

battalion51 said:
It's probably due to the fact that a regular Capitol Ltd had 28 Roomettes available, whereas the Cardinal only has 12, so it doesn't take as much for the Buckets to bump up a bracket on the Cardinal as it does on the Capitol.
I was thinking along those lines too. I know the superliners have more roomettes.

I just did a search for a July trip, and saw that the a viewliner roomette on the Cardinal is 340 extra.
Time of year and demand. I rode the Cardinal from NYP to IND in Feb, was the only one in the sleeper until we reached Washington DC and only paid $125.00.

MrFSS said:
I just did a search for a July trip, and saw that the a viewliner roomette on the Cardinal is 340 extra.
Time of year and demand. I rode the Cardinal from NYP to IND in Feb, was the only one in the sleeper until we reached Washington DC and only paid $125.00.
125 for a "private car". That is pretty good.

I once was the lone coach passenger in the New Orleans Kansas City through coach in the late 80's I had the car to my self for most of the night. That was cool.

battalion51 said:
That's exactly the reason.

I once was the lone coach passenger in the New Orleans Kansas City through coach in the late 80's I had the car to my self for most of the night. That was cool.
Best one I heard about was a friend some years ago flying on the red-eye from IND to ORD. He had a coach ticket, was the ONLY passenger on the plane and they wouldn't let him sit in first class!

MrFSS said:
Best one I heard about was a friend some years ago flying on the red-eye from IND to ORD. He had a coach ticket, was the ONLY passenger on the plane and they wouldn't let him sit in first class!
How much you wanna bet that airline went out of business.

MrFSS said:
How much you wanna bet that airline went out of business.
Was United A/L. They would have canceled the flight but needed the equipment the next AM in Chicago.
They must have had some really bad people working that day, or it was just a short flight and nobody cared. I really do not know what the airline policy is on this situation, but I do know people get upgraded. My father and I have been upgraded to business class returning from Europe on three different occassions even though we were traveling on relatively cheap fares.

As a point of comparison, Amtrak would not move a passenger to a sleeper just becuase there was no space sold . . . so I guess I got to go back on what I said earlier. :D

Are you all confused yet!!!? :D :D

If it was just a positioning ferry flight open for whatever few revenue pax they could get, they might not have wanted F even occupied to minimize cost of a dedicated FA.

Back