Sleeping on coach, long distance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to San Bernardino, CA this summer. I've taken it quite a few times in the last several years since I developed a horrible fear of heights so I know the trip well. I love riding the train but I've always bought the sleeper. I was usually able to use Amtrak Rewards to help lower the cost. It used to be 20,000 points for this trip but is now around 27,000 points! (I don't like this new system AT ALL.) Plus, it seems like fares have gone up, but maybe it only seems this way because prices are always higher in the summer? At any rate, I can't justify another $1200 one-way train trip when I could fly it for a fraction of the cost, so it's time for me to get brave and either start flying or start taking coach. I guess that means taking coach. :unsure:

I've read a few older threads about sleeping on coach but didn't find answers to all my questions. First, I'm wondering if a side-sleeper can actually get fairly comfortable for sleeping in coach? I have a hard time sleeping on my back. If I skooch over on my side a bit, will my knees bang into the person next to me? Or do I have to stay on my back the whole time? I'm about 5'8".

And how likely is it that I'll have someone in the seat right next to me on the Southwest Chief in coach at night? I'm guessing it's pretty likely since the times I've been on it they said the train was full.

What is this idea of sleeping in the sightseer lounge? I've heard people mention that but those seats don't look all that comfy, even two together. Or do people actually sleep on the floor? I'm guessing I'm going to skip this option. If I were a 21-year-old, healthy guy maybe....

How do you keep your phone and wallet safe while you sleep? Keep it in a pocket? I would, but what about something bigger, like a backpack? Where would you put that while sleeping? Are there any locks or anything that would make it less of a target for theft? Any tips on security?

Is it true that you aren't allowed to drink alcohol at your seat? Or just that you aren't allowed to bring your own? Are obnoxious drunks ever a problem? One wandered back into our sleepers once and raised a ruckus but they ushered her out pretty quickly.

How hard is it to get a window seat? If I get in line early to get on in Chicago, will I have a good chance at that? I think I'm going to need to lean against the window and I also want to be close to the plug in case I get a rude seatmate who won't let me plug in. (Does that ever happen?)

I've been on some of Amtrak's single level, all coach trains but have never seen coach on the Superliner. Are the coach seats nice? Are upper or lower seats better? What are the advantages of an upper versus a lower coach seat on a Superliner? Or do they even let you choose?

Guess that's enough questions for now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always find coach seats "just not quite comfortable" for sleeping. I can manage one night, but that's it. If I have an empty seat next to me though I can definitely do fine.

I would suggest two pillows, one for your head and one for the small of your back.

I just keep my wallet in my backpack at my feet or in the overhead rack. Never had a problem.

I've never had a security problem with leaving my laptop out, etc.

As for alcohol, as long as you purchase it in the cafe car, you're fine.

Upper/lowel level seats are sold usually at different prices. Lower level seats will get less traffic at night in general.

note all my overnight experience has been on the single-level Crescent.

I'm wondering if a side-sleeper can actually get fairly comfortable for sleeping in coach?
Not in my experience.

If I skooch over on my side a bit, will my knees bang into the person next to me?
On Amtrak in coach there is nothing that physically separates you from whatever random stranger Amtrak decides to pair you with. This seems like the sort of thing that could benefit from a plastic divider sold to coach travelers.

Or do I have to stay on my back the whole time? I'm about 5'8".
You can lay however you like but unless you can remain perfectly still you may bump into your neighbor sometime in the night. Depending on their attitude they may not care or they might be annoyed or they might enjoy it.

And how likely is it that I'll have someone in the seat right next to me on the Southwest Chief in coach at night?
In the summertime I'd say it's rather likely.

What is this idea of sleeping in the sightseer lounge?
In order to get away from Amtrak's coach seats you can try sleeping in the lounge instead.

Or do people actually sleep on the floor?
Yes, people often sleep on the floor under brighter lights just to get away from Amtrak's coach situation.

The forum software prevented me from posting all of these answers in a single message so here is part two.

How do you keep your phone and wallet safe while you sleep? Keep it in a pocket? I would, but what about something bigger, like a backpack? Where would you put that while sleeping? Are there any locks or anything that would make it less of a target for theft? Any tips on security?
My advice is use small combination locks to keep important zippers closed and to use a security cable to chain your backpack to the seat. You don't need to have perfect security. You simply need to employ enough security to convince a potential thief or vandal to pursue someone else's bag.

Is it true that you aren't allowed to drink alcohol at your seat? Or just that you aren't allowed to bring your own?
You can drink anywhere on the train, including at your seat, so long as you buy your supply from Amtrak.

Are obnoxious drunks ever a problem? One wandered back into our sleepers once and raised a ruckus but they ushered her out pretty quickly.
Yes, obnoxious drunks are sometimes a problem. Next time you might be in the coach car the drunk gets ushered back into. If it gets really bad you can try asking the conductor to do something about it. No guarantees that they'll take any particular action, but they're the ones who have the power to move or remove a drunk person if they decide they want to do so. If the first conductor doesn't do anything every eight hours or so you'll have a new conductor you can ask again.

I think I'm going to need to lean against the window and I also want to be close to the plug so in case I get a rude seatmate who won't let me plug in. (Does that ever happen?)
Yes, there are rude/smelly/creepy seatmates sometimes.

Are [superliner] coach seats nice? Are upper or lower seats better? What are the advantages of an upper versus a lower coach seat on a Superliner? Or do they even let you choose?
It really just depends. Amtrak coach seats are much larger and have much greater pitch than airline coach seats, but they are not comfortable enough for restful sleeping in my experience. Even when I'm exhausted I simply cannot sleep in Amtrak's coach seats. Even though they are large seats with lots of room they're not built in a manner that is comfortable to me. If you have a restless night and try sleeping the following day you're likely to be repeatedly awakened by the public address system.

I can't justify another $1200 one-way train trip when I could fly it for a fraction of the cost, so it's time for me to get brave and either start flying or start taking coach. I guess that means taking coach.
Here's a question in return. Are you actually trying to justify a $1,200 oneway train trip or are you trying to justify an irrational fear of flying?

As a 6' 2" male, age 63, I do find it very hard to sleep in coach. I have slept in the lounge, either on the seats or on the floor. The lower level seats tend to be taken by folk who can't use stairs. I have never booked lower level, and I may be wrong, but if you have a lower level ticket, and are able bodied I think you can be asked to move for a less able person...

I like the vibe in coach, and prefer the chance to meet and chat with other passengers. Passengers tend to look out for those around them on long distance trains, a mini community can spring up.

A few years back it was common to get two seats to yourself, more recently that has become rare.

Never had a problem with drunks... Drunks can be put off the train if they don't behave.

Security has never been an issue either, just use common sense.

You can request a window seat if they are issuing seat numbers at boarding, may happen, may not. Some places you just grab whichever seats are available when you board. Either case it pays to be near the head of the line.

Everyone is in the same situation in coach, so an accidental bump in the night is nothing to worry over... The seats are quite wide and roomy by airline standards.

Lastly, don't be put off by those who only seem to have an irrational fear of positive views :p

Ed. :cool:

I have never had trouble sleeping in coach (three 2 night trips in coach) but I can sleep almost anywhere. I see coach as similar to a reclining lounge chair that doesn't go back as flat as I'd prefer. But I can still sleep okay on it.

I don't recall the chairs being all the comfortable in the lounge to sleep there. Perhaps I am wrong on that though. Sleeping on the floor in the lounge doesn't sound as nice as in a chair in coach.

I believe the seats in lower coach are the same as on the upper level. I was under the impression that the lower level were mainly for folks with a disability. I have heard of able bodied folks being there but asked to move when someone who can't manage the stairs gets on the train.

I keep my wallet and phone in my pocket. Never had a problem with stolen items on a train.

I've done coach two nights at a time in Superliner, when I was younger. When I was asleep in coach, I just pushed my backpack under the seat in front of me, then threw my coat etc on top of it. Never had any problems. I have never heard of a problem with theft on a train, but not saying it can't happen.

I'm a side sleeper too, and I slept restlessly in the seats. Lots of waking up to change position and get comfortable again. Superliner seats are way more spacious, and recline way further, than those in roomettes, but no softer. Do take two pillows, or a pillow and a fleece jacket for padding. Make sure you figure out how to put your leg rest up, as it really adds to the sleeping comfort. If you are really, really lucky, you won't have a seatmate part of the time and will be able to spread out. The last announcement of the evening is about 10pm, then everyone really quiets down.

In my experience, lower level seats should be the same price as upper-level. They are normally used by seniors and people with mobility issues. It's usually quieter than upstairs, and fewer people, but it's always possible to get a snorer or someone with a Cpap machine. And if it's a really full train, and they need the space for someone that needs it more than you do, you may be asked to move upstairs anyway. My first trip on the EB, Hubby and I were booked upstairs, but got put downstairs when we boarded because the attendant couldn't figure out where to put us. She told us we'd go upstairs later, then in the morning (it was evening when we boarded at Pasco), then maybe if they needed the space. Never happened. We were so useful getting stuff from the cafe for all the people in the compartment that I guess it was worth it to leave us where we were! FWIW, there is a big enough floor space at the front of the downstairs compartment to lie down, IF it's not occupied by a wheelchair or piled with luggage, and IF you have enough padding and something to keep yourself comfy and off the carpet (they vacuum it, but I don't know if they ever really deep-clean, and it has seen a LOT of traffic).

If I wanted to sleep well in coach, I'd try booking downstairs and see what happens.

Devil's Advocate, I am not trying to justify another $1200 trip no matter how awful sleeping multiple nights on coach sounds. I'll dose up on Ativan and fly if I must.

I'm really not a fearful person except for this one thing and I absolutely know the fear of flying is irrational but I can't seem to control it. The flight itself is not too bad since, like I said, I'll be taking a tranquilizer. It's the nightmares I have for weeks leading up to the trip and during the vacation that I'm trying to avoid. I'm sick of having my vacations marred by anxiety and nightmares about the trip home. So far I've not been able to control my dreams, so a train trip is a way for me to have a nice, relaxed vacation. This one will be a trip home after a flight to my destination.

It's weird, I used to love flying and have flown around the world. I don't know what happened. Maybe I've lost some bravery hormone in my old age, lol. But I sincerely love taking the train. I've always loved long road trips and I like meeting all the people on the train too. I just want to be prepared for my first coach trip.

Thanks for your tips!

The easiest question first: No worries about security or need to lock anything. When I leave my seat to go to the SSL or diner I take my wallet and iPad with me, but other than that just leave my stuff where I had it stored at or above my coach seat. Never any issues or concerns.

I'm a side sleeper and have done many one night coach trips and have always gotten some sleep - 2 or 3 hours usually. But my normal night of sleeping in a comfy bed is only 5 or 6. I take a small travel pillow which helps a lot. If the trip entailed two or more nights, I personally would fly or get a roomette. One night w/o a shower is my max.

Yes, the ideal situation is a window seat with nobody next to you. That happens sometimes but unlikely on the SWC in summer. No clue as to how they assign window seats. It used to be that you sometimes could pick your own seat when boarding, but that hasn't happened much lately.

The SuperLiner coach seats are actually quite spacious and comfortable for sitting and reclining. But, as others have noted, kind of marginal for sleeping.

Forgot to add: In my opinion, the upstairs coach is much better. The view and easy one-level access to SSL and diner are very worthwhile. And for sleeping, make sure you have a comfy non-restrictive outfit with long sleeves and legs. It will seem colder at night when you are trying to sleep.

I am a side sleeper and had pretty much the worst night of "sleep" of my life in coach on the Cardinal. It was just one night but I was so uncomfortable and the few minutes of sleep I snatched so unrestful that I was irritable and out of sorts for a full day afterwards. I remember walking into my hotel in Chicago like a zombie and begging them to have my room ready early so I could sleep. It may have to do with height but everything just hit the wrong way and I will just never do it again barring an emergency. If I couldn't fly or have a sleeper, I'd rather take a bus and sleep in cheap motels each night.

I've slept in coach many times sometimes three nights in a row. It's doable,but a sleeper is so much better. Money is a priority. An empty seat next to you is the optimum. Unfortunately, as peak travel season grows near, it's highly unlikely. Never force sleep. It will come. Of course, you will have a zombie like feeling after one night in coach and you'll probably take cat naps during the day. Worst case scenario is being assigned an obnoxious seat mate on a long trip with a full train. I have slept in the Sightseer Car overnight a few time. Hard seats and it's very bright,but the plus side is you are alone in your seat.

Later this week I'll be on Amtrak on a long journey from Los Angeles to Florida. Five nights,five days on the train by my choosing. The first night will be in coach to El Paso. I'll switch to a roomette the duration of the trip. Last big trip on points using the old zone system. The anticipation of getting my sleeper will offset the first night in coach.

If you look at the journey as an adventure, you will have no problem, and you can spend the daylight hours in the Sightseer Car. You should have a lot of daylight the time of year you are going.

I have over nighted in coach a few times. As noted it is not as nice as a sleeper. Err on the side of extra pillows or padding. Security for stuff does not seem to be a problem, out of sight etc and the wallet in a pillow or something like that. Bring a big sponge and a small bowl to improvise as there will not be shower access. Also, as noted, on a good coach trip a sense of community can develop and become a very enjoyable atmosphere.

I find it very difficult to sleep in coach. In an ideal setting, I can just barely sleep ok in coach. But that is with an ideal seat mate, a window seat (I can get more comfortable leaning against the wall), a quiet car, low lighting (more lights near stairs and vestibules), and many other variables that are impossible to control in coach.

I have over nighted in coach a few times. As noted it is not as nice as a sleeper. Err on the side of extra pillows or padding. Security for stuff does not seem to be a problem, out of sight etc and the wallet in a pillow or something like that. Bring a big sponge and a small bowl to improvise as there will not be shower access. Also, as noted, on a good coach trip a sense of community can develop and become a very enjoyable atmosphere.
I can see where a washcloth in a ziploc bag would be handy. The paper towels leave something to be desired for personal hygiene, LOL. But a bowl? I found the sinks and stoppers on the Superliners to be quite adequate. If one restroom is not quite up to par, there are three more on every coach. Just take your clean undies in the washroom, put the lid down, pile your clothes on it, stand on a paper towel, and get a good PTA wash (I leave it up to your imagination what that stands for). No need to let yourself get stinky, though some will.

I find it very difficult to sleep in coach. In an ideal setting, I can just barely sleep ok in coach. But that is with an ideal seat mate, a window seat (I can get more comfortable leaning against the wall), a quiet car, low lighting (more lights near stairs and vestibules), and many other variables that are impossible to control in coach.
Last summer when I had to take a redeye flight to France (boy, that was tough), a good friend recommended a lightweight black hoodie for all-purpose clothing. I am not a hoodie-type person, so I had to get one at a thrift store. It was perfect for the cooler mornings on the trip. When I wanted to sleep on the plane, I just draped the hood wrong-way over my face and used it to block the light and keep my shoulders warm. I also had a very cushy neck pillow (kindly provided by my sister). The combination allowed me to get a good 4-5 hours of sleep, more than I ever expected in the cramped airline seat with all the engine noise. I would take a train over a plane any day, but I do recommend the neck pillow and black hoodie for either mode of transportation.

Devil's Advocate, I am not trying to justify another $1200 trip no matter how awful sleeping multiple nights on coach sounds. I'll dose up on Ativan and fly if I must. I'm really not a fearful person except for this one thing and I absolutely know the fear of flying is irrational but I can't seem to control it. The flight itself is not too bad since, like I said, I'll be taking a tranquilizer. It's the nightmares I have for weeks leading up to the trip and during the vacation that I'm trying to avoid. I'm sick of having my vacations marred by anxiety and nightmares about the trip home. So far I've not been able to control my dreams, so a train trip is a way for me to have a nice, relaxed vacation. This one will be a trip home after a flight to my destination. It's weird, I used to love flying and have flown around the world. I don't know what happened. Maybe I've lost some bravery hormone in my old age, lol. But I sincerely love taking the train. I've always loved long road trips and I like meeting all the people on the train too. I just want to be prepared for my first coach trip. Thanks for your tips!
I've flown many times from a very early age but only had one single moment of genuine panic or fear as a result. It wasn't during any of the various bad weather flights or screwy takeoffs or sloppy landings that freaked out any number of other passengers. It was clear and sunny and I was on an otherwise uneventful flight at cruise level returning to my seat from the lavatory. For a brief moment as I looked out the windows and onto the desert below my lizard brain got the better of me. I remember thinking "Hey, wait a minute, this doesn't look right at all!" I was spooked but calmly returned to my seat. I reminded myself that I had already done this hundreds of times without issue and that modern flight was a well understood phenomenon with most of the potential failures already understood and resolved. Remembering that I was dealing with a mature and well regulated industry was enough to put me at ease. For a while I wondered if it would happen again. Many years later that fear has yet to return so at this point I rarely even think about it anymore. In fact I've casually watched Mayday and Air Crash Investigation episodes while actively flying without issue. I'm not sure what I would do if the fear came back for good. There are just too many places I want to go that cannot be reached in a practical manner by any other means.

First, I'm wondering if a side-sleeper can actually get fairly comfortable for sleeping in coach? I have a hard time sleeping on my back. If I skooch over on my side a bit, will my knees bang into the person next to me? Or do I have to stay on my back the whole time? I'm about 5'8".
Dunno. I'm 5'5" and I have no trouble sleeping on my side in a single coach WINDOW seat, but again, I'm shorter than you are. And very skinny.

A tip I read here a LONG time ago: If you are in the aisle seat, ask the window seat to adjust their recline so it is slightly above your recline, then you can lean against the edge.

Two nights in coach in summer would be brutal. I suggest bucking up and flying -- perhaps there are some nonstops from chicago to Ontario, CA. If you take an early morning departure, July turbulence should be must less -- even nonexistant, compared to a midday or afternoon departure.

Book a coach seat from CHI to La Junta, CO, sleep the first night in coach.

Book a roomette from La Junta to San Bernardino and spend the second day/night in a sleeper.

You book a multi-city ticket so both accommodations are on the same reservation.

The SWC has a lot of coach riders from ABQ to LA and points in between.

Between CHI and La Junta, not so much.

If you can, depart CHI on a Tuesday.

Book now and travel July 19 and 20 your trip will cost $412. $82.24 for the coach seat, $329.76 fr the sleeper berth.

If for some reason the SWC is running late getting to La Junta, the LSA in the dining car should let you get breakfast on your sleeper reservation before you arrive in La Junta.

I always book long train rides that way - coach and sleep on alternate days.

On the CZ I get on at Ottumwa, ride coach to Denver, move to a roomette from DEN to Reno, and back to coach in Reno to the end of the line later that day be it Sacramento or Emeryville.

I'm going to be taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to San Bernardino, CA this summer. I've taken it quite a few times in the last several years since I developed a horrible fear of heights so I know the trip well. I love riding the train but I've always bought the sleeper. I was usually able to use Amtrak Rewards to help lower the cost. It used to be 20,000 points for this trip but is now around 27,000 points! (I don't like this new system AT ALL.) Plus, it seems like fares have gone up, but maybe it only seems this way because prices are always higher in the summer? At any rate, I can't justify another $1200 one-way train trip when I could fly it for a fraction of the cost, so it's time for me to get brave and either start flying or start taking coach. I guess that means taking coach. :unsure:
Before resigning yourself to coach for the entire route, investigate the prices for transferring to a sleeper at, say, ABQ. And don't forget to check AmSnag to see if a day or two earlier or later would make a difference in the cost.

I sleep at a table in the Sightseer Lounge. The lights don't dim. Depending on the crew you could be woken up before every stop, more, less, never(last time there was a guy sleeping on the floor in front of 2-1 bench at 8:30am). The lounge is the car designated for talking/making noise during quiet hours so there might be a party going on at 2 in the morning. If it is too noisy for you go somewhere else. If someone wakes you up and asks if they can have a seat (if most areas are occupied) the correct answer is yes. Sleeping in the lounge does not entitle you to 3 or 4 seats. When cafe opens in the morning it is time to wake up. If you need more sleep go somewhere else. Please don't play into the negative stereotype if you decide to become a lounge lizard.

My most common sleeping position is sitting bent face down using a horseshoe neck pillow. The next most common is sitting propped up by my backpack on my side angled towards the window. The is not enough room to lay on my side with my knees bent and I am only 5' 3". The 2-1 bench seats are extremely uncomfortable due to the edges and gap. The floor vibrates too much for me. I have seen people sleeping on top of tables but I think that is going a too far.

We have never had any issue with luggage on Amtrak. For my checked luggage I do put a cable tie through the zippers to secure them. Just make sure you have something to cut them with. She Who Must Be Obeyed has a KYSS bag (very ingenious locking system) but we use it primarily for hotels not Amtrak. I also concur with those who have suggested booking a sleeper for the second night. We

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back