Slowest Amtrak scheduled route segment?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

OBS Chief
Slowest average scheduled speed between two scheduled stops? Cardinal Dyer/Chicago comes to mind. Northbound I get an average speed of just over 18 MPH! Southbound it's quite a bit faster, relatively speaking of course.

Anything slower?

Slowest average scheduled speed between two scheduled stops? Cardinal Dyer/Chicago comes to mind. Northbound I get an average speed of just over 18 MPH! Southbound it's quite a bit faster, relatively speaking of course.

Anything slower?
Or to put it another way, what Amtrak segment has the most padding? Probably a segment between the penultimate and final stops of a long-distance train.

actual or with padding? There is often up to an hour of padding, and a train will arrive early, but I would guess somewhere on the BBRR, on the Cardinal

Boston - on the Northeast Corridor of all places - from South Station to Back Bay Station. Carded as five minutes for one mile, or an average speed of 12 mph. Train 67 takes six minutes, or an average speed of just ten miles per hour.

Of course, what is the actual *exact* distance between stations, not just what is listed in a timetable? Isn't it about 1 1/4 miles?

For the Long Distance Trains, the SWC #3 is Carded for 1 Hour and 45 minutes for the 25 miles between Fullerton and LAX,the Terminal Station!

Most LD Trains have similar padding between their next to last stop and the Terminal stop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holland to Grand Rapids on the Pere Marquette ranks right up (down?) there: 1:05 for 25 miles.

On the Silver Service there is:

WPK-ORL 23 minutes for 5 miles is about 13 MPH.

ALX-WAS 35 minutes for 9 miles is about 15 MPH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roseville to Sacramento on the CZ westbound is alloted 76 minutes for a 17 mile journey, which comes out to 13.4 mph

I don't know if its still true, but the last time I took the Vermonter, I could have gotten out and walked faster. I am sure we were doing under 5 mph for a long stretch of track in VT.

I joked that I could have jumped off, walked up ahead, did some antique shopping, see a movie, and then jump back on the train as it passed by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back