Smartphone apps for Amtrak.host RR radio frequencies?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverviewer

Train Attendant
A quick question:

Are there any apps for smartphones that would enable them to receive Amtrak/host railroad radio signals the same way that a scanner radio does?

Not really, your phone doesn't have the right hardware to receive them.

The only other way is to stream it over the Internet, but that would require many, many receiving stations along the tracks. Not really feasible.

You are better off using an actual scanner...even a $100 one programmed with the AAR channels will do much better than an app.

Let me add, there are MANY areas NOT covered by scanner feeds...probably more areas not covered than are covered!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Police Scanner 5-0, Police Scanner, Emergency Radio Free and Scanner apps on my iPhone. Most of them pick up some railroad feeds (these apps listen to scanner feeds on the internet). Some are interesting, but many are off the air for long periods, which can be very frustrating. I ended up getting a Yaesu FT-270 ham radio that can be programmed to scan railroad frequencies. It works very well; I am amazed at how far it picks up transmissions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an app, but it's probably useless for someone wanting to listen to the radio traffic to and from their train. What is going on is that a person who lives near a track will set up a scanner to pick up the radio traffic in their area. They then stream the radio traffic over the internet. These sites can only stream radio signals from their immediate vicinity. There isn't enough of these sites to give you access to radio traffic across your entire route. In many cases there is several hundred miles or more between sites.

In the current app they is no way to set up to receive on one certain channel.

last year I had great luck with Gordon Edwards Scanner Radio on the EB,,, well up until Minot anyway when I lost my cell services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back