smoking ban

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a first trip planned on the Calif. Z in July, and understand that they no longer allow smoking on board. Anyone else out there a smoker and find it a problem?

While I'm not a smoker, I do know that Amtrak allows for longer than usual stops at various locations so that smokers may step off and have a cigarette, but I suppose it would depend on the person whether or not the frequency and length of such stops is sufficient. :unsure:

I was doing a PM on 62018 today and noticed an announcement on the wall. :eek:

They just banned smoking on the Three Rivers run, but Amtrak made scheduled stops at certain platforms for smokers. You can smoke outside the car, as long as you stay near the train.

While we have smoking lounges on the Silver Service, Amtrak has put out a bulletin for OBS crews regarding the routes that have smoking stops.

Sorry, but I don't have access to that info.

Miami Joe

Most of the time it's major station stops that will have the smoking stop (crew change points are the best bet). On the Zephyr I'd expect (but don't hold me to it) that Lincoln, Denver, Grand Junction, Salt Lake City, and Sacremento be the smoking stops. Ask an attendant when the next smoking stop is and they'll let you know. The only trains that allow smoking in the enclosed section of the lounge are the Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, and Auto Train. Smoking is ban on ALL other trains.

CZ doesn't change crews in Lincoln, it does it in Omaha, which is also a maintenance stop.

Smoking is allowed on the Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and Crescent, but if one of the Amfleet II Lounges with an enclosed smoking lounge is not availible then the entire train is non-smoking.

Amfleet said:
Smoking is allowed on the Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and Crescent, but if one of the Amfleet II Lounges with an enclosed smoking lounge is not availible then the entire train is non-smoking.
Yeah, that was the case for me, we had an unrefurbished lounge on the Silver Star in April, they had to do just that. The policy has changed my attitude in wanting an unrebuilt lounge over a rebuilt one, this way I can take advantage of the extra seating.

The Palmetto is a smokeless train and usually carries an old AMF II.

All the other Silver Service trains are smoking trains. If a train comes in with the wrong car or major defects, we try to put a smoking lounge in. But, there are instances when a car can't be repaired or a smoking lounge is not available. The only choices are to "blank" the car or put a non-smoking lounge in the consist. If we put a non-smoking car in, the consist becomes a no smoking train.

Miami Joe B)

Probably a good decision to put a non-smoker in rather than have it blanked. :blink:

You really can't blank the lounge, because it's the only food service on the Palmetto.

Every now and then, we get a AMF I with the coach seats on one side and the tables on the other side. I like the atmosphere of the car.

Miami Joe B)

I'd love to get an Amfleet I with all tables, that'd be nice. I'd love to see a Conductors reaction down here if we ever got an Acela style lounge. :lol: :lol: :lol:

battalion51 said:
Most of the time it's major station stops that will have the smoking stop (crew change points are the best bet). On the Zephyr I'd expect (but don't hold me to it) that Lincoln, Denver, Grand Junction, Salt Lake City, and Sacremento be the smoking stops. Ask an attendant when the next smoking stop is and they'll let you know. The only trains that allow smoking in the enclosed section of the lounge are the Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, and Auto Train. Smoking is ban on ALL other trains.
I believe Sparks, NV is the final WB crew change point on the Zephyr and the first heading EB. Sac is too close to Emeryville to really be a change point unless the train is very late.

tp49 said:
I believe Sparks, NV is the final WB crew change point on the Zephyr and the first heading EB. Sac is too close to Emeryville to really be a change point unless the train is very late.
As of 8-12 months ago the crew change point for the conductors was changed to Reno, Nevada (only three miles west of Sparks, NV). However, most train crews do not want passengers to step off in Reno since the train blocks one or two (depending on how many express cars are on rear) major downtown street crossings. The practice now seems to be to let passengers off for a "fresh air break" at the Winnemucca, Nevada Union Sta. about three hours east of Reno. This is where the engineers change.

amtrakmichigan said:
I usually just pull out the ole chewing tobacco when I cant smoke on the train   :D
Yet another fun thing to find on Amtrak trains: Paper cups sitting around half-filled with somebody's tobacco-laced spit.

Guest said:
amtrakmichigan said:
I usually just pull out the ole chewing tobacco when I cant smoke on the train   :D
Yet another fun thing to find on Amtrak trains: Paper cups sitting around half-filled with somebody's tobacco-laced spit.
Plus you trade lung cancer for mouth and throat cancer. A charming habit for sure.

PRR 60 said:
Guest said:
amtrakmichigan said:
Plus you trade lung cancer for mouth and throat cancer. A charming habit for sure.
By the way, I was just kidding about the chewing tobacco people. But it wouldn't supprise me if some people resorted to that.

amtrakmichigan said:
PRR 60 said:
Guest said:
amtrakmichigan said:
By the way, I was just kidding about the chewing tobacco people. But it wouldn't supprise me if some people resorted to that.
I know people who chew and it is about as disgusting a habit as you can imagine. And they are in most every respect good people. We should count ourselves as fortunate that we have not been hooked into that way to harm ourselves. I'll settle for an occasional beer or glass of wine and leaving the smoking and spitting to others.

Guest said:
amtrakmichigan said:
What was even more charming was a coffee cup filled with water and cigarette butts. I found the same cup in the same dorm 4 trips in a row.

OK people I did not mean to get you bashing each others habits just wanted to get some input. Everyone has a bad habit and smoking is one of mine. Some people drink to much and others eat to much but we all have good qualaties too. I plan to have a good trip and will abide with the rules Thank you for your help

On my last trip I took a thruway bus from Chico to Sacramento, CA. In Chico the driver got off the bus and then closed the door from the outside while loading luggage. There was a person standing right behind the door with an unlit cigarette hanging out of his mouth. When the driver finially opened the door this person asked to get off and smoke. The driver said that this was not a smoking stop and he had to leave right now. The passenger begged to be allowed one puff on his cigarette. How pathetic.

denmarks said:
On my last trip I took a thruway bus from Chico to Sacramento, CA. In Chico the driver got off the bus and then closed the door from the outside while loading luggage. There was a person standing right behind the door with an unlit cigarette hanging out of his mouth. When the driver finially opened the door this person asked to get off and smoke. The driver said that this was not a smoking stop and he had to leave right now. The passenger begged to be allowed one puff on his cigarette. How pathetic.
That is pathetic. Oroville, less than an hour later on that trip, is an unofficial 10 minute rest stop. The driver should have told him to just wait until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back