Sneak preview of Amtrak 11/1 timetables

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
Once again I've taken a look at how Amtrak's trains will be operating after the upcoming timetable change on Monday, November 1, 2004. Current train or Thruway numbers are in black, while new numbers are in red. Here is my analysis, by route:

Western Long Distance trains

Some minor changes to the long distance trains in the West:

• Train 14, the northbound COAST STARLIGHT, will run approximately 10 minutes earlier over much of its route.
  • Thruway buses 8007 and 8008, which connected respectively to the westbound EMPIRE BUILDER and from the eastbound EMPIRE BUILDER at Minneapolis/St. Paul to and from Duluth, appears to have been cancelled.
  • Thruway buses 8005 and 8006., which connected respectively to the westbound CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR and from the eastbound CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR at Salt Lake City to/from Idaho Falls, appears to have been cancelled.
Western Corridor trains

Only minor time changes are evident for the Cascades, Capitols, San Joaquins, and Pacific Surfliners.

The 4 Thruway schedules mentioned in the first thread were victims of the recent Greyhound cutbacks -- it was not Amtrak's decision to discontinue offering the service.

railman said:
The 4 Thruway schedules mentioned in the first thread were victims of the recent Greyhound cutbacks -- it was not Amtrak's decision to discontinue offering the service.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering why Amtrak would eliminate those Thruway services from the Builder. Mind you, I have no idea how many people rode those buses.

I was just listing the discontinued services. I had a feeling that most of the cuts to Greyhound-operated Amtrak Thruway services were related to Greyhound's own downsizing.

However I'd like to think that if Amtrak wanted to continue to serve some of those cities and towns en route, they would find another operator. They did this a few years ago for their services out of Flagstaff (to Phoenix and the Grand Canyon) when the original operator went out of business.

Superliner Diner said:
They did this a few years ago for their services out of Flagstaff (to Phoenix and the Grand Canyon) when the original operator went out of business.
Who was the operator before the current Open Road Tours? BTW, the Open Road Tour thruway shuttle from Flagstaff-Phoenix is a nice ride in a newer minibus van. Very comfortable. :D

jccollins said:
Superliner Diner said:
They did this a few years ago for their services out of Flagstaff (to Phoenix and the Grand Canyon) when the original operator went out of business.
Who was the operator before the current Open Road Tours? BTW, the Open Road Tour thruway shuttle from Flagstaff-Phoenix is a nice ride in a newer minibus van. Very comfortable. :D
From what I remember, it went out of bankrupt and one of the employee decide to start his own business to take over the routes.

jccollins said:
The old company was called Navi-Hopi Tours.

I hate to sound like those "Coast StarLATE" naysayers, but if #14 can't keep to its present schedule (and I presume #11 has similar timekeeping problems southbound), then how can we expect the Starlight to keep on schedule running 10 minutes earlier? I hope circumstances can work out so the Starlight (regardless of printed schedule) can be more on time.

Back