so if LDR are cut...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
Those of you who would know...

If the W administration insists on LDR cuts...and Gunn goes along, which ones would be cut...saying three had to go?

By summer or is there a six-month warning?

Scott

sutton8596 said:
If the W administration insists on LDR cuts...and Gunn goes along, which ones would be cut...saying three had to go?By summer or is there a six-month warning?

Scott
Scott,

One can never know for sure what will happen if it comes to that. Personally I would expect to see the Sunset go bye-bye, the Cardinal, and either the Chief or the Empire Builder. The problem with any theory is the fact that Congressmen will always fight the discontinuance of the train through their state.

In fact there is some law on the books that could actually prevent the Cardinal from being discontinued. So who knows what will happen.

No matter what; the trains will run through the summer, as nothing so far has even been seriously talked about, much less decided. The six month rule does apply here, so even if they decided tomorrow to kill the Sunset, there can be no shutdown until September. Of course they could further reduce service on the line like they did with the Lake Cities, but they can't stop running the train entirely.

I will be taking a trip to NYC and Boston, this year, to ride the Acela. Can't make up my mind between mid-August or mid-September.

Sort of looks like I had better go with mid-August.(Actually those trains, would not be threatened, not even the Crescent, I suppose, but who knows?)

LDR ARE NOT SAFE TIL SEPTEMBER.....FY2003 FUNDING (THIS YEAR) HAS WRITTEN IN IT THAT NORMAN MINETA (TRANSPORTATION SECRETARY) WILL FUND EACH TRAIN ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS..AS OF THIS DATE NONE OF THE GRANTS FOR SPECIFIC TRAINS HAS BEEN APPROVED.

I RECEIVED A NOTE FROM ALLAN RUTTER (FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINSTRATION) TODAY ....IN IT HE STATES...

"The provisions of the consolidated appropriations act of FY2003 may aid in ensuring the short-term accountability for federal funds appropriated for Amtrak. However, they do not address the underlying strucyral problems in Amtraks current business model for providing intercity passenger rail service that are the focus of the Secretary's principles of reform. THE CHALLENGES FACING INTERCITY PASSENGER RAIL ARE SO GREAT THE THE ADMINSTRATION BELIEVES THE THE CONGRESS AND ADMINISTRATION MUST BEGIN NOW TO IMPLEMENT THE PRINCIPLES IDENTIFIED BY THE SECRETARY."

This is just my opinion but I dont think the adminstration gives any value to anything David Gunn has done or has the possiblity to do. The adminstrations mind is already made up. With the country concentrating on the war, I would not be surprised to see a major announcment made by Norman Mineta this week..saying he will not fund the majority of Amtraks long distance routes. They are going to try to pull the whole system...very soon...THIS IS SERIOUS.

Call the Presdent, your senators, and representatives...TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back