So, the wife liked CONO!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
The management was really, really, pleased with the trip we took to NOLA last week. She said, "We should do that again, George."

And so, we are. Another trip booked in the 1st week of December!

Oh, yeah. She liked New Orleans too. :)

Dec. 1 would be good timing.

Apparently, there is a yearly Fall Double Days AGR Points promotion from about September 16 to December 16.

The Spring DD AGR points promotion started March 16 and runs to May 16

NOL is really nice after they get it decorated for Xmas, and the weather is as good as California. There are plenty of people out walking all night (some even sober), so you can stay out as long as you'd like. If you can, get out to City Park one night for an incredible light display and model train layout, also a garden train around the park, well worth the admission fee. For a very special meal, reserve a "New Orleans Reveillon Dinner" (they sell out, reserve before you leave home). There is a "Christmas District" with topical decorations (like dancing alligators) and seasonal music.

We went to Davenport Lounge in the Ritz Carlton, it was free and the music was great.
We stayed at the Ritz last week, and I've already booked a room there for our December trip!

Fall Double Days AGR Points promotion from about September 16 to December 16
We're headed south on AGR points, but the return trip was ridiculously low priced (in a Bedroom!) that I paid for that one. I'll get the points for the purchase, for the AGR card, and for signing my wife up with AGR.

How was the actual trip/service on the train itself? We take the CONO this summer from CHI to NOL. Was it on time? How was the food? How were the rails?

We departed on time in both directions. I should have mentioned that we travelled in a bedroom both ways. Mrs. George would have NEVER tolerated a roomette! Our SCA's (Rion and Kevin) were available and attentive. Rion was great about letting us know his plan about making the beds ("When you go to dinner, if your curtain is open, I'll know that you want your beds made up, if it's pulled, I'll find you and ask when." He also (as mentioned in another thread gave a little verbal tour as we approached New Orleans, and yeah, played the Johnny Cash version of the Steve Goodman song.

The dinner southbound was a limited menu (we got dinner as we pulled out of CUS). Basically just burgers, dogs and salads. Breakfast and lunch were standard Amtrak fare. Nothing remarkable, but nothing bad, either. Northbound food was different (no lunch with a 1:45 departure), but full dinner. Breakfast, was again, standard stuff. Gee, I wish they'd alter the menus a bit!

We arrived in New Orleans about 50 minutes late. Headed back to Chicago, we got slowed down by freights in Louisiana. By the time we hit the Mississippi border, we were about 40 min late, and never made up the time.

Rails? People have talked about the rough rails near Memphis. I didn't notice anything too unusual. I thought the rails on the CS near Klamath were rougher, twistier, and more difficult to sleep through. They, again, ymmv.

The only thing I didn't like was the noise. We were right behind the bag dorm, or the trans dorm, and on the southbound trip the engineers were on the horn constantly. It was like they never took their hands off the horn. It wasn't too noticeable in the daytime, because we were distracted, but at night...sigh. Seems like the engineers northbound were not as heavy on the horn.

Things I would do differently?

1) Bring a thermos so that when I get some ice - I can get a LOT and enjoy my (cheap) Scotch.

2) Bring a portable fan to move the air around a bit more

3) Bring another pillow.

A couple thoughts on the pillow situation: If you need an extra pillow, the SCA might have one or two extras in the locker. Or maybe he could get one or two from an empty room. It never hurts to ask. Also, when I'm traveling in coach, I always carry an inflatable pillow. You can buy them at places that sell camping supplies, and they will deflate to the size of a deck of cards or a pack of cigarettes.

Glad you both had a good time.

Tom

Nice trip to one of my favorite cities George, and as Alice said, great time to be there!

Let me know if y'all need a guide, I work cheap,roomette and room and board! LOL

Have you checked into the Iowa Pacific Charters from CHI-NOL that run on the

CONO? They have some really good specials from time to time and several AUers ( see the 2 Joes trip Report) have really enjoyed this experience!

As for the horn noise, the South leads the world in train/vehicle collisions and there are many, many unmarked crossings on this route, especially South of Illinois, hence the required whistle noise!

Certain times of the year, usually in the winter, the consist of the CONO is flip flopped and the revenue sleeper is on the rear! Hope it happens for ya'lls trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Googling "Pacific Charters" doesn't show anything.

I found "Pullman Rail Journeys": http://www.luxurytrainclub.com/country/pullman-rail-journeys-chicago-new-orleans/

The Luxury Train Club is offering the A – Class Master Bedrooms with private facilities – drawing room, shower, toilet and wash basin, at fares starting from USD $2,850.
Another outfit (Viator) offers a bedroom for $2500. That's pricey, I'd say. Especially when you're going to spend ⅓ of the trip in darkness or asleep. It would be nice on a different train, perhaps, but not CONO. At least not for me.

The Management frequently doesn't have a great appetite, so that might be a wasted luxury. Amtrak will be just fine for us!

I asked Rion about the horns and that's what he said. He mentioned that they tried to cut back on the horns, but there was a big jump in human vs train incidents.

Any idea why the consist is flipped in the winter?

I rode the CONO in a bedroom in January and the consist was not flipped. Sleeper was behind the crew dorm car at the front of the consist last week of January. For some reason, I never notice the horn noise. Yes, I hear it but not when I am asleep. I had Rion last August on a trip and Kevin this past January. Both are excellent.

Enjoyed your report George. We will be heading to NOL next month and riding the CONO home. Our last trip was great with a super SCA and good food. Even had time to visit a high school prom going on in the Memphis station while we were waiting on an early arrival. :p

INFLATABLE PILLOW???

The hell you say!

Thanks for the tip!

I'm a side sleeper, so an inflatable pillow under the Amtrak pillow is essential. I bought an Exped air pillow: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/air-pillow-m

Not cheap, but I sleep like a baby on the train with it -- not so well without.

George, so glad you and the misses enjoyed the CONO and New Orleans! Can't wait to go back, myself.

George: that's the one, they run specials occasionly, especially from NOL-CHI.

Several of our members have taken this trip and got it for prices comparable to Amtrak and even less!! The 2 Joes did a great trip report on this, Google up the old trip reports and check it out even if just for fun!

You can also PM Joe Hess @ hessjm, he's a great source on this and many other train, food and drink related travel info! His partner in crime, the Colonel, aka grounded flyboy is also a great info source and they're both great guys!!!

INFLATABLE PILLOW???

The hell you say!

Thanks for the tip!

I'm a side sleeper, so an inflatable pillow under the Amtrak pillow is essential. I bought an Exped air pillow: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/air-pillow-m

Not cheap, but I sleep like a baby on the train with it -- not so well without.

George, so glad you and the misses enjoyed the CONO and New Orleans! Can't wait to go back, myself.
We camp a lot and this is a really good pillow too. I am going to try it in a few weeks on our LD trip to Chicago.

http://www.rei.com/product/847721/nemo-fillo-backpacking-pillow

I expect a review!

Meanwhile, I'm looking at these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZ12DQQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=242XR5D93TCEU&coliid=I3DCN5UB1HBDRI

The measurements of my large pillow Expanded: 15" x 19.5" x 7"
Compressed: 15" x 7.5" x 6"
This is after 5 minutes of being expanded. The pillow may expand to be slightly bigger after more time has passed. The compressed size also changes slightly as time passes. It could probably be compressed more tightly than I regularly do it as well.

George, glad you and the missus had a great experience on CONO. My wife and I loved it too. (We also did a bedroom.) Seriously, I didn't expect her to love it that much. She keeps asking me when we can ride again. :p

I did feel like the tracks were rough in TN, never made note of the horn noise. There's a long stop in Memphis and I remember thinking it was a shame Amtrak couldn't exploit the Memphis-Chicago market more.

One thing I enjoy about CONO is seeing the old IC line infrastructure. The French details on the houses in MS were also interesting.

NOLA has pretty good public transit and it is connected fairly well to Amtrak. And if transit lets you down there are plenty of cabs as well.

Hmm. Googling "Pacific Charters" doesn't show anything.

I found "Pullman Rail Journeys": http://www.luxurytrainclub.com/country/pullman-rail-journeys-chicago-new-orleans/

The Luxury Train Club is offering the A – Class Master Bedrooms with private facilities – drawing room, shower, toilet and wash basin, at fares starting from USD $2,850.
Another outfit (Viator) offers a bedroom for $2500. That's pricey, I'd say. Especially when you're going to spend ⅓ of the trip in darkness or asleep. It would be nice on a different train, perhaps, but not CONO. At least not for me.

The Management frequently doesn't have a great appetite, so that might be a wasted luxury. Amtrak will be just fine for us!

I asked Rion about the horns and that's what he said. He mentioned that they tried to cut back on the horns, but there was a big jump in human vs train incidents.

Any idea why the consist is flipped in the winter?

I rode the CONO in a bedroom in January and the consist was not flipped. Sleeper was behind the crew dorm car at the front of the consist last week of January. For some reason, I never notice the horn noise. Yes, I hear it but not when I am asleep. I had Rion last August on a trip and Kevin this past January. Both are excellent.
The consist no longer flips in the wintertime as the CONO no longer shares its equipment with the TE. The year-round consist on the CONO is as follows: P42, Trans-dorm, Sleeper, Diner (CCC), Sightseer Lounge, Coach-Bag, Coach, Coach.

For me, bringing a small fan is a must. As a person with a few extra pounds, I get warmer easier, and it helps circulates the air and keep me cooler when sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back