So what electronics do you take on your train trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Star rider

Service Attendant
With the talk of scanners that some people take with them. What electronics do you take with you just for use on the train?

I travel in a roomette, but if you travel coach, what do you take?

I take a power strip, laptop, GPS, DVD player, Mifi Hot spot, Smartphone (cell phone) chargers for the previous. I even have a 120 volt portable battery device. Some USB rechargeable battery packs.

I am contemplating getting a new scanner for my next trip. My current one, the built in (but replaceable if I can find a replacement) hasn't held a charge in decades. I see newer ones have a computer interface to make programming easier.

Bruce-SSR

I carry only a non-smart cellphone and its charger, and tell anyone who might need to reach me that I can't reliably promise to check for voicemail more than once/day. As long as I can get away with this, long-distance trains are a wonderful way to take a break from the constant connectedness that seems to be demanded of us these days.

Paper maps of various scales are an excellent alternative to GPS. :)

Let's see......smartphone w/charger, still camera and video camera, each with with their own chargers, a couple of spare batteries for each camera, GPS with AC adapter/charger, power strip, and extension cord. I think that does it. :lol:

Let's see......smartphone w/charger, still camera and video camera, each with with their own chargers, a couple of spare batteries for each camera, GPS with AC adapter/charger, power strip, and extension cord. I think that does it. :lol:
I carry several cameras, but those are for my destination.. not the trip ;) I did once broadcast live through Ustream ;)

Bruce-SSR

Android Smart phone and charger and extension cord! That's it, the phone does everything I need while on trips!

Edited: typo corrected (chord to cord)due to small buttons on phone/ arthritic fingers! Thanks chakk! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have a "dumb" flip-phone because there's no cell service at my off-grid home in the mountains, so why pay for a data plan? I take the flip-phone and my little Acer Netbook, plus an extension cord with a low-profile plug and a couple outlets on the end so I can charge both my electronics at once. I use the free wi-fi in stations, hotels and coffee shops. Oh, and I take a pocket Canon camera, and sometimes a PlayTouch video camera. Keep it small, is my motto.

327244.jpg

Android Smart phone and charger and extension chord! That's it, the phone does everything I need while on trips!!
If you take along a chord, then you have certainly considered all the angles.

Phone (which is also a camera/video recorder, alarm, and mp3 player), Kindle (so I don't have to pack a gazillion books), and my laptop (games, writing about the trip, homework).

More electric than electronic, but in a sleeper when I wake multiple times in the night I want to know what time it is without turning on a light, so I bring a little electric clock with battery back up.

Extension cord like pictured above. My (not so) smartphone. Ipad with 4G connection and motionx app, sometimes a portable mp3 player (not always)and sometimes on LD trips we take the Garmin nuvi......and two good books, the kInd with paper pages that I can smell and feel, you know real books.

Bose QC15, iPhone, HP Laptop, Nikon DSLR Camera. and associated batteries/chargers/powerpacks. That is it.

If driving is involved in the trip then possibly my Garmin Nuvi live traffic GPS, though in its absence Waze on iPhone subs fine.

as a long time geek my list is rather extensive

my cell / charger

She Who Must Be Obeyed cell/charger

Sony Camera /charger / battery / memory

Tablet / charger / data cables

She Who Must Be Obeyed laptop / charger

Uniden BC75XLT Hand Held scanner

MP3 player / cable

Memory Stick TUNES

Audio Technica Noise Cancelling headphones

Zip Buds noise cancelling ear buds

Ooontz mini speaker / charger

Garmin / cable / case / stand

USB Cables

6 AAA batteries

5 AA batteroes

3 flashlights (including cap bill)

Battery Powered Lamp

Alarm Clock

Multi Outlet extension cord

Small Air Compressor

All of this fits into a Samsonite Techtonic backpack

Android smartphone and Android tablet. Earbuds. Chargers for both. Power strip. Electric shaver.

Phone, Kindle reader, little laptop and Kindle Fire. If I can figure out how/where to download movies on my little laptop will have no need to bring the Fire. If I'm alone will sometimes bring MP3 player with music/books loaded. And all the stinking cords to charge as well.

Phone, Kindle reader, little laptop and Kindle Fire. If I can figure out how/where to download movies on my little laptop will have no need to bring the Fire. If I'm alone will sometimes bring MP3 player with music/books loaded. And all the stinking cords to charge as well.
There are ways of legally downloading movies to your laptop. Purchasing movies through iTunes does allow you to watch them on your laptop. There is also a website called Flixstar that you can purchase movies to download locally besides streaming.

Bruce-SSR

This is what I take for most trips:

Phone and charger, netbook and charger for destination (phone would do but netbook's keyboard is so much easier), handheld GPS for geocaching at destination and sometimes checking train's speed for the heck of it, compact point and shoot digital camera and charger (simply like it better than phone's camera), Kindle and charger because I like to read. I also have a very small surge protector. I don't read much on the train because I like looking out the window. I don't have a scanner and I don't take my full size laptop. Normally I don't have to recharge things on the train, so most of what I take is used at my destination. It sounds like a lot, but all of it will fit in a medium-large purse thingy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back