Solar Eclipse watching?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I booked the Starlight a couple weeks ago, to head north a couple of days before hand – train to Chemault, thruway to Redmond airport where I pick up a car. Still cheap car rental rates, but all the accomodation is still sold out. Might open up eventually, but plan B is to camp – plenty of Forest Service land around.

The one southbound train from Portland that morning went from low bucket last month to all sold out. I bet a tour group chartered that train.
Good catch! That's probably going to be the only day this year that the 0600 s/b departure out of PDX will be sold out. The train must empty out in SLM though since there are plenty of seats available south of there.

There are low-bucket seats on the Thruway bus from PDX-SLM that follows an hour later, though, which would still get folks to SLM in time for the eclipse.

We were so excited to see the total eclipse that was visible on the big Island and south Maui some years ago. We flew to Maui, drove around Hana to the south side (rather desolate) camped all night in the pouring rain and in the morning, while still raining hard, it go light, it got dark, it got light again, still it was worth the trip.

Any of the AUers flying their Learjet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun?
No, but my plan is to try to fly my* Piper Arrow down to Oregon to see it.

*my as in I rent it from the flight school

Any of the AUers flying their Learjet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun?
No, but my plan is to try to fly my* Piper Arrow down to Oregon to see it.

*my as in I rent it from the flight school
Good move!

super%20decathlon-04.jpg

I haven't been active in nearly 20 years due to medical (prescription my doctor has me on), but damn if it wasn't fun while it lasted. I could make that machine do all kinds of tricks...instructor got queasy on me the very first time I really tried to wring it out! Great solo cross-country machine too, as long as the weather was VFR....

News flash: People planning to flock to Oregon to watch the eclipse get hosed after hotels canceled their reservations without warning and remaining silent of the incident. Read the full story here: http://trib.al/LQT1XYW
See the followup article to the above.http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/04/expedia_reservations_at_the_ce.html

I checked my reservation, and it seems as though most reputable hotels are fine.
This is where it pays to stay at a location affiliated with a national chain so there is another level of responsibility and opportunity for redress. Also beware of third-party booking services and lodging rental agents. In some places in Wyoming, there are a handful of hotel rooms left, which are running around $800 for up to four persons per night. There are plenty of Airbnb rentals available in the same community for $1000+ per night. Some of those may drop as the time approaches, but even if they become as reasonable (so to speak) as area hotels, you're at the mercy of the host until most likely after the fact. Unfortunately, not all are in it to show visitors a good time.

has anyone compiled alist of what trains will meet the eclipse on its way across the county? and more specifically the times, thankyou in advance

Back