Sold Out Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak's Sunset Limited (trains 1 & 2) frequently sell out, especially during the summer season.

I just got off the Empire Builder today in Seattle. Sleepers were 100% sold for the trip, but the coaches were less than 1/2 full, it seemed to me. In talking with the car attendant, he said they have been at or near 100% in the sleepers, recently.

The northbound Carolinian was sold out last Friday. However, as you may know not all seats are sold for the entire trip. When I got off in Wilson, the train was probably 1/2 full. Amtrak was expecting a large boarding at Richmond which would fill it up.

The southbound Carolinian was sold out in business class on Sunday. I'm not sure about coach. Oddly enough, business class was pretty full all the way to Charlotte.

Recently (late August) I could not get a coach seat or a sleeper on the Texas eagle all the way from CHI to DAL. I could get something for parts of the journey, but nothing at all for the whole trip. I had to fly. I had no trouble getting a seat On the Texas eagle last week. The Texas Eagle was very crowded all summer The conductor was putting people in the lounge car.

Hmm sold out long distance trains almost everyday....and to think people actually want to cut this service. Its like telling an airline to cut their highest load factor routes.

But yes, it seems like whenever I check same day ticket prices, something is sold out, weather it be the sleepers or the Portland bound coaches of the Empire Builder. I think if Amtrak added another frequency on certain routes, even more passengers would ride. But of course without funding, lack of equipment, and congestion, that can't exactly happen....yet.

I like to be optimistic

Chris

Back