some CNO questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey B

Train Attendant
Ok, up till now I have been a bit of a lurker, and have learned alot and enjoyed reading your posts. But now that my trip is about 4 months away, I will probably be riddling the questions. So let me start by telling you all about my trip. My traveling companion and I are joining friends in New Orleans for our first Mardi Gras. Two are driving, one is flying from Memphis, and we are going by Amtrak, So we have named our trip "Mardi Gras 2008 Planes, Trains and Automobiles".

Since we HAVE to be in NOLA on January 31 amd we live in Chicago, I came up with the idea of going by train since the weather can be so iffy that time of year and thus the air travel also can be sketchy. We are very lucky that we live 2 blocks from the Metra stop for our town, and we will be able to catch the Metra to CSU and walk over to the Amtrak counter. We have a bedroom on the CNO both ways.

So here we go:

1. First off I keep reading the bedrooms include complimentary coffee, water and juice, is soda available? as my companion has to have his Coke, if not should we bring a small cooler with our own?

2. Out chi-nola train leaves at 8:pm how early should we plan on getting to CSU? I also read that they sometimes board the first class passenger early to get you in the diner for dinner so by the time your on Salad your train should be leaving. Does anyone know if this is the case?

3. Also on the way back home we are schedules to arrive at 9:00 am will we recieve breakfast?

Probably will have more wuestions in the future.

Thanks in advance

Joey B

oh Also would love to hear a recent CNO trip report, especially from Chi to Nola. Most of the ones on the Boards I have been checking out seem to be rather older.

Thanks again

Joey B

1. First off I keep reading the bedrooms include complimentary coffee, water and juice, is soda available? as my companion has to have his Coke, if not should we bring a small cooler with our own?
Sadly, no. Amtrak used to give out free soda in the sleepers, but they stopped that practice about two years ago now. Also I note that you said Coke, if your friend is like me, then he/she needs to know that Amtrak is a Pepsi products only operation. You cannot get Coke products on board. Personally I can't stand Pepsi, so I get Siera Mist when riding on Amtrak since they don't offer Coke.

2. Out chi-nola train leaves at 8:pm how early should we plan on getting to CSU? I also read that they sometimes board the first class passenger early to get you in the diner for dinner so by the time your on Salad your train should be leaving. Does anyone know if this is the case?
I would not arrive later than 7:00 and would recommend 6:00 to 6:30 just to allow for a late METRA train. Allow more time if you are going to check any luggage.

They do indeed usually start boarding by 7:00 to 7:15 PM out of the Metropolitan lounge only. If you go to the regular south waiting room, then you won't get to board early. But if you go into the lounge before 7:00 PM and your tickets for the bedroom entitle you to use the lounge, then you will get to board early if everything is ready on the train. In that case, you will most likely be in the diner starting dinner before the train ever leaves the station.

3. Also on the way back home we are schedules to arrive at 9:00 am will we recieve breakfast?
You will get breakfast, assuming that you get up early enough if the train is running on time. If it's running late, then they'll serve breakfast later. Typically they stop serving about an hour before arrival into CUS to clean up.

Sadly, no. Amtrak used to give out free soda in the sleepers, but they stopped that practice about two years ago now. Also I note that you said Coke, if your friend is like me, then he/she needs to know that Amtrak is a Pepsi products only operation. You cannot get Coke products on board. Personally I can't stand Pepsi, so I get Siera Mist when riding on Amtrak since they don't offer Coke.
To make it clear: no free soda in the sleeper but water, tea, coffee, and juice see it here

Okay I though of another question, I read when you us your dvd player or laptop you need to use head phones, is this true when using it in a bedroom also?

Like if you are in a bedroom with the door closed and you want to watch a movie.

Thanks again

Joey B

Okay I though of another question, I read when you us your dvd player or laptop you need to use head phones, is this true when using it in a bedroom also?Like if you are in a bedroom with the door closed and you want to watch a movie.

Thanks again

Joey B
the door wont stop much as it is mostly glass

I've taken the "City" CHI-NOL four times and NOL-CHI two times...all were great rides, and all were on time if not early.

The last time I took the train...CHI-NOL back in May...I had a roomette, and we boarded around 7:30pm.

They had two calls for dinner: 9:00pm and 9:15pm. In fact it was the latest I had ever eaten dinner on the train! I had the 9:15 seating and didn't get out of there until after 10 since I was chatting with the crew for a bit.

Of course, breakfast and lunch the next day.

You will get breakfast on the return...the service usually starts at 6:30am.

Enjoy your trip!

Okay I though of another question, I read when you us your dvd player or laptop you need to use head phones, is this true when using it in a bedroom also?Like if you are in a bedroom with the door closed and you want to watch a movie.

Thanks again

Joey B
the door wont stop much as it is mostly glass
Joey,

If you keep the volume at a moderate level, then you can probably get away without using headphones. I do it all the time. However if you like things loud, or are reaching levels that others would consider loud, then you may get asked to use headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back