some questions on an eastern trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marylee

Train Attendant
I'm attending my godson's wedding in Buffalo next month. Since a hometown girl, Kristin Chenoweth is doing a musical I decided to make a side trip to NYC before the wedding to see my 1st Broadway play!

I'll be leaving KC on the SWC with a transfer to the CL, then getting off at PGH and taking the Pennsylvania (1st time) to NYC. Can I book KC to NYC for this leg or do I only book KC to PGH and then a separate booking to continue to NYC? If I can do KC to NYC is that guaranteed? I'm a bit concerned about making the connection. If the CL is late do they usually hold the Penn? I'll be traveling on a Sunday if that makes a difference. Also whichever way I book can I check my luggage KC to NYC?

I realize that I won't get breakfast on the CL since it arrives in PGH (if on time) so early. From what I can discover PGH station and nearby have limited resources for breakfast. Is this correct? Any suggestions?

Leaving NYC I'm planning on taking the Empire Service (1st time) to the Depew station. Because it's a regional - I can't check my luggage - right? Also, what benefits besides larger seats is there between business and coach on the Penn and the Empire Service?

Since I'm traveling alone and the SWC gets to KC late at night, I thought I would stay at the Westin Crown Center across the street from the station instead of getting my car from the parking garage and going somewhere else. I can leave my checked luggage and pick it up the next morning - right?

Thanks for all your help, this is the only Amtrak trip I'm taking this year and I am so looking forward to it.

I'm attending my godson's wedding in Buffalo next month. Since a hometown girl, Kristin Chenoweth is doing a musical I decided to make a side trip to NYC before the wedding to see my 1st Broadway play!

I'll be leaving KC on the SWC with a transfer to the CL, then getting off at PGH and taking the Pennsylvania (1st time) to NYC. Can I book KC to NYC for this leg or do I only book KC to PGH and then a separate booking to continue to NYC? If I can do KC to NYC is that guaranteed? I'm a bit concerned about making the connection. If the CL is late do they usually hold the Penn? I'll be traveling on a Sunday if that makes a difference. Also whichever way I book can I check my luggage KC to NYC?

I realize that I won't get breakfast on the CL since it arrives in PGH (if on time) so early. From what I can discover PGH station and nearby have limited resources for breakfast. Is this correct? Any suggestions?

Leaving NYC I'm planning on taking the Empire Service (1st time) to the Depew station. Because it's a regional - I can't check my luggage - right? Also, what benefits besides larger seats is there between business and coach on the Penn and the Empire Service?

Since I'm traveling alone and the SWC gets to KC late at night, I thought I would stay at the Westin Crown Center across the street from the station instead of getting my car from the parking garage and going somewhere else. I can leave my checked luggage and pick it up the next morning - right?

Thanks for all your help, this is the only Amtrak trip I'm taking this year and I am so looking forward to it.
KCY-NYP does not return the Pennsylvanian option on the Amtrak site for some reason. However, it is a valid connection since there are other SWC-CL-Pennsylvanian city pairs. You may have to book with the multi-city option. The connection is guaranteed, if you miss it they will likely keep you on the CL to DC and put you on a Regional. (is there a particular reason you want to go via PGH?)

No matter which route you go, luggage can be checked. It will probably end up on the Lake Shore Limited, so keep that in mind if it's delayed.

You can check your bags to Buffalo if the timing of the Lake Shore Limited works out (even if you're on the Empire Service), as that train carries the bags on the corridor. From my experience with the Penn baggage counter however, it may take a bit of negotiation to get your bags onto a different train than you're traveling, but it IS possible.

Yes, checked bags can be picked up the next day at no charge.

It's my understanding that a connection is not guaranteed unless the ticket is booked as a single point-to-point trip.

In order to have a guaranteed connection, you might consider booking multi-city through a different station that requires routing on the Pennsylvanian. I checked using the example of Paoli, PA (PAO) and it does offer the routing you want, including allowing you to just stay oin the train you are already on. This would have the advantage of giving you a single-ticket train change in PGH. But if for some reason you miss any of your guaranteed connections (CHI, PGH), and Amtrak re-accommodates you, it's important to let them know (before the train would have left Paoli) that you need to be re-accommodated for the continuation, as well.

Nice trip, please share it with us when you get home!

I agree with Train2104 about considering staying on the Cap Ltd from CHI-WAS unless you juat want to see the Altoona Horseshoe Curve! Hanging out in the bus station like Basement Station in PGH @ 5amish isn't fun. If you stat on the Cap to WAS you can have breakfast, see some nice scenery, spend a little time refreshingg in the Club Acela in Union Station before you catch a Regional or Acela to NYP!

You could also ride the Cardinal from CHI to NYP, but it only runs 3 days a week out of CHI ( Tu/Th/Sat) and is usually Late to Very Late into NYP!

The connection to the Penny in PGH is guaranteed but it must be booked on multi-city as was said, otherwise the default is the Lake Shore Ltd. CHI-NYP or the Cap CHI-WAS/Regional to NYP. If you want to ride an Acela WAS-NYP it is not a guaranteed connection so you'd have to book as a separate rez/ticket.

You can check your Luggage in KCY for NYP and it may go from CHI on the Lake Shore Ltd., the Cardinal ( if on Saturday) or even to WAS and then sent on that Nights #66 or the next days LD Trains #20 or #98.

As for Business Class, the Penny runs an Amfleet Coach as the Biz Class Car w/ Separate Cafe to NYP,unless the Train is very crowded probably not worth the upgrade cost!

On the Empire Route, I recommend that you take the Maple Leaf instead of an Empire Service Train from NYP to Buffalo in Business Class, it has the nice 2x1 Seating (18 Seats)in a Biz Class/Cafe Car, very comfortable and worth the upgrade! Plus you can ride to the downtown Exchange Street Station and not have to get off in the sticks @ the Depew Station if that works for your ride!!??

Good plan to spend the night in KCY after your long trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back