Sonoma-Marin SMART train: may be heavy rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the decision to go heavy will eliminate the hideous possibility of Sonoma-Marin's SMART opting for equipment such as the mechanical monstrosity that is Sprinter.

Perhaps the decision to go heavy will eliminate the hideous possibility of Sonoma-Marin's SMART opting for equipment such as the mechanical monstrosity that is Sprinter.
They could go with the Stadler Diesel-Electric units instead as on the NJT RiverLINE. Choosing those would also allow for possible dual mode operation with electric ops in heavier trafficked areas while falling back to diesel in less dense areas.

Heavy rail will generally mean less frequent service that is more expensive to operate. That is the downside.

They could go with the Stadler Diesel-Electric units instead as on the NJT RiverLINE
Never heard of the outfit, so hunted down Stadler Bussnang AG, which also specializes in rack railways. Also found some Stadler DMU videos, including

. It includes a cool shot from between the tracks that ends with the photographer picking up the camera after the train has passed over it. Sure looks like Sprinteroid light rail to me, though as a diesel-electric it surely has smoother riding characteristics.

Finally, I located this
The Stadler units are remarkably quiet and smooth in operation. They have proved to be quite popular with the riding public. Austin is also using Stadlers. I was actually somewhat surprised that Oceanside-Escondido went with Siemens Sprinters.

There is a book on the River LINE written by Al Fazio and published by Railpace that you might find very informative. Lots of technical details both about the cars and the general operations, including all sorts of nuances of temporal separation with FRA traffic etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back