Southbound Texas Eagle Consist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choochoodood

Service Attendant
Can anyone tell me the consist (in order) of the Texas Eagle from CHI to SAN?

The reason I ask is this:

In June, I am planning a ROOMETTE trip from CHI to LAX via the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited. Amtrak's website gives me two options, and option #421 is more expensive than option #21/#1.

Does the #21/#1 option mean I would be on a sleeper in the front of train from CHI to SAS, then have to leave that sleeper and "connect" to the "transferred" sleeper on the rear of train at San Antonio?

Or is this just scheduling semantics, and there's only one sleeper on #21 and that gets connnected to #1, regardless of it being designated as #421?

I hope I made myself clear. I'm sure there are several experts out there that can answer this for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got it right. There is just one train,#21/#421, and the LAX cutout Sleeper and Coach are switched to the rear of #1 in SAS when it arrives from NOL.

If you book the #421 Sleeper you'll be in the Revenue Sleeper on the Front of the train from CHI-SAS, then you will stay in the Sleeeper from SAS-LAX on the rear of #1.( You can get OFF since there is a several hour layover in SAS/10pm-245am.

If you book #21/#1 Sleeper you will have to get off the train in SAS, and await the switching to be completed in the less than pleasant Sunset Amshak, before you can board the Revenue Sleeper on the Front of Train #1.

Interesting, when we were on the TE a few years ago from CHI-LAX we were in the through sleeper(421) and it was on the rear out of Chicago as well as out of San Antonio. Railfan window the whole trip and a great SCA to SAS (not so much to LAX).

The advantage to the current consist is the 421 revenue is attached to HEP for most of the switching process, which is important in the summer months. With the sleeper on the rear then dropped the sleeper on a siding where it sat for a while with no AC or power. The rooms really started to warm up in the 90 degree outside temperatures but now stay cooler with HEP most of the time.

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I now have another question related to this...

Upon arrival in Los Angeles at 5:35 AM, are sleeping car passengers still allowed to stay onboard the train until 6:30 AM?

I searched the Amtrak site and could not find any related info.

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I now have another question related to this...

Upon arrival in Los Angeles at 5:35 AM, are sleeping car passengers still allowed to stay onboard the train until 6:30 AM?

I searched the Amtrak site and could not find any related info.
Nope, the Metro Lounge opens at 530am, so all passengers will be awakened by the lights coming on and announcements before arrival into LAX.
You'll probably wake up anyway at one of the stops before this happens since the Greater LA area now basically stretches from Palm Springs to LA with Lights and traffic, plus you'll still be on Central Time. ( 2 Hours later)

Last edited by a moderator:
The attendants have to get everyone off and have their cars ready for the next trip shortly after arriving LAX. Even when the arrival is 4:30 am, though I found a couple attendants who don't rush everyone off until 5:30 am. My last trip, the attendant didn't do wake up calls until a few minutes from LAX at 4:45 am.

Back