Southeast Flooding (October 2015) - Weather related cancellations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm supposed to be boarding the Meteor on Friday the 16th. Based on the information floating around so far, I think it's pretty unlikely that the Meteor will run on its regular route by then.

But I wish someone with inside Amtrak knowledge would comment on whether Amtrak is contemplating attempting to run the Meteor on an alternate route. Even if Amtrak were trying to accomodate Meteor passengers on the Star, that's not really an option for me since my trip (Winterhaven-NYP-CHI-SEA) cannot be accomplished with the Star (unless Amtrak would let me take the no-diner Star a day earlier and layover in NYC).

I understand that Amtrak has absolutely no culpability for the rail damage due to the flooding, but they really need to work on how they communicate to customers when there are problems. Instead, they show availability for Saturday and Sunday and then it changes to "Sold Out" and then "Cancelled" with "no alternate transportation".

All I'm asking is for Amtrak to say if they have an alternate plan for the Meteor or not. Because if they don't, I can be pretty sure that the trip will be a no-go since the host railroads are apparently still waiting to access some of the flooded areas. I'm sure Rail Freak would like to know too, and his trip is a few days later than mine.
My trip on the Meteor (which can change to the Star, if available. even though it would not be ideal) is on the 15th. It is my understanding that Amtrak is waiting for word from CSX, and they are selling seats starting Monday 10/12 with the hope that they can run the train.

There is a post on t.o. indicating that the A-line (that's the one the Meteor uses, right?) opened at midnight. It says there were no missing bridges or anything.

There is a post on t.o. indicating that the A-line (that's the one the Meteor uses, right?) opened at midnight. It says there were no missing bridges or anything.
I just saw that. Contradicts every other report I've seen anywhere.

edit to add: Seems to be correct, based on the latest CSX customer service advisory. Line restored from Charleston to Florence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Amtrak:

Amtrak Restores Service Along The East CoastOct. 10, 2015
4:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak is restoring all service along the East Coast after severe weather impacted railroad operations in the Southeast over the last week.

The following services will resume scheduled operations as noted, except to the Kingstree, S.C. station, which remains closed:

• Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.) will resume operations on Sunday, Oct. 11
  • Palmetto Train 89 (New York – Savannah, Ga.) will resume operations on Sunday, Oct. 11
  • Palmetto Train 90 (Savannah, Ga. – New York) will resume operations on Monday, Oct. 12
  • Silver Meteor Trains 97 & 98 (New York – Miami) will resume operations on Monday, Oct. 12
This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

Follow @Amtrak on Twitter.

Crew members for tomorrow's southbound Auto Train are expected to report at the Lorton crew base as usual.

Crew members for tomorrow's northbound Auto Train are being flown to Sanford today and/or Sunday morning to pick up their jobs.

This information comes from a text I received from a crew member.

Tom

My friend texted me this morning at 7:09 EDT as his plane was taking off from Washington National, headed for Florida. Crew 4 will work Auto Train 52 north from Sanford today; crew 5 will work A-T 53 south from Lorton. No predictions regarding enroute delays for these trains, but on-time performance would be some kind of miracle. I have no information on other trains.

Tom

P.S. If you REALLY want me to tell you about those other trains, or predict schedule performance, I can make something up. I can do fiction if the occasion demands it. :)

Southbound Star is expected over 2 hours late into Orlando today. Northbound is so far expected to be less than half hour late into Washington today. Northbound Carolinian came in ahead of schedule yesterday. Palmetto also starts running today.

I guess I will pass by the Auto Train at Lorton on the southbound Star today.

As of this moment, 89, 90, 91, 92 & 98 are all on the train tracker map with varying levels of timeliness. Only one I can't find is 97... Oh there it is. It says ontime to Newark, but it's showing 0 MPH. May be in the tunnel.

The Star that I was on made it into Orlando today about as late as it started from Washington DC yesterday.
How was the food in the Diner,?
I had pizza and fruit cup for dinner, egg sandwich, cake and coffee for late breakfast. Not perfect but quite adequate for my meager needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back