Southeast Vacation: Savannah

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might consider a stop in Charleston, too. Just as an interesting a city as Savannah (and arguably better restaurants) and the Palmetto arrival is a bit earlier. Rather than Greyhound, also consider a one way car rental. There is so much to see in this part of the country, you'll miss a lot seeing it from the bus on the interstates. While one way rentals are generally more expensive, it'll certainly provide a lot more flexibility and save a few taxi rides.
Excellent post! As someone who is originly from South Carolina and who has Lived in Savannah, I toitally agree with your Suggestion of Charleston!!! (And if you are flexible in your Travel dates you can Save some Real Money if you go during the Right Times!!! Both can be Pricey "In Season" and on Weekends!
Jim, where in SC do you hail from? I'm from Augusta, GA - might have heard of a little golf tournament played there in the spring. :D
Betty: My Granparents and Dad Grew up in the NW Corner of SC close to Greenville (Pickens, SC) and as my Dad spent his Career in the Air Force we Lived @ Both Greenville/Spartenburg AFB (now the Airport) and Charleston AFB! Two of my Uncles lived in Agusta and we Visited Frequently (One Army @ Ft. Gordon/the other IBM) and I stayed with them One Summer while going to a Tech School @ Ft. Gordon! I also was in the VA Hospital in Augusta for Treatment of a Service Connected Problem! And I have heard of that Golf Tournament, it's coming up Next Month and it's Beautiful there in the Spring !! ;)

Thanks for the suggestion about Charleston. We considered that city, but haven't the time to do both, and Savannah fit the timetables better. Since we'll be there on two weeknights, it appears room rates are quite reasonable.
We're big on letting someone else do the driving in places we've never been, and actually, the bus does go along through Panama City and Fort Walton Beach on the Gulf Coast. Really looking forward to that section.
So, your actual target with the bus is New Orleans. Sounds like your route, west of Tallahassee at least, is US 98, presumably as far as Pensacola. In Pensacola, by the way Greyhound is no longer downtown, but in a little building just off US 29 a couple of blocks south of I-10. If you want to eat there is not much near. Go south, that is toward town. A Burger King is about 1/4 mile down US 29 and an IHOP about 1/2 mile down US 29 on the other side of the street.

for the sake of the scenery, hopefully you will be going along the Mississippi Gulf Coast on US 90, not I-10. This will give you an idea of the recovery from Katrina. Although New Orleans got the publicity, the Miss. coast got hit worse.

Betty: My Granparents and Dad Grew up in the NW Corner of SC close to Greenville (Pickens, SC) and as my Dad spent his Career in the Air Force we Lived @ Both Greenville/Spartenburg AFB (now the Airport) and Charleston AFB! Two of my Uncles lived in Agusta and we Visited Frequently (One Army @ Ft. Gordon/the other IBM) and I stayed with them One Summer while going to a Tech School @ Ft. Gordon! I also was in the VA Hospital in Augusta for Treatment of a Service Connected Problem! And I have heard of that Golf Tournament, it's coming up Next Month and it's Beautiful there in the Spring !! ;)
I was 11 when we move to DE so my memory of places is vague. I have heard of Ft Gordon. And I was lucky enough to have gone back down to that beautiful nursery, oops, I mean golf course to see that tournament a few times with my dad when I was in my 20's. Back in the 50's when my family moved down there they were practically giving away tickets to the tournament.

We took the train to Savannah a few years ago... Great trip, Savannah is really nice place to visit by rail. And it has to be one of the best cities in America for scenic bike riding. We rented bikes and spent most of a day riding about the Historic District. I will never forget that - wonderful day. Lots of old southern homes and large live oaks.

We took Business Class each way and it was like our own car (almost). There were 7 of us (My wife & I and 5 kids). We stayed on the waterfront at Four Points by Sheraton which is really nice and a full service hotel. Most of their best deals include a free breakfast in their full service restaurant. Also amazing view of the Savannah River and the busy shipping lane to and from the Port of Savannah. I enjoyed eating breakfast with coffee and getting to watch the huge ships pass by.

We had no problem getting a cab when we arrived, but I did secure a cab before I checked on the bags. So hop off the train and get a cab right away. I was concerned because I did not want to split up the family (and hire two cabs). We found a nice cab driver with a 7 passenger mini van. I then went and claimed our bags and the driver helped me to carry them over and load the van.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, your actual target with the bus is New Orleans. Sounds like your route, west of Tallahassee at least, is US 98, presumably as far as Pensacola. In Pensacola, by the way Greyhound is no longer downtown, but in a little building just off US 29 a couple of blocks south of I-10. If you want to eat there is not much near. Go south, that is toward town. A Burger King is about 1/4 mile down US 29 and an IHOP about 1/2 mile down US 29 on the other side of the street.
for the sake of the scenery, hopefully you will be going along the Mississippi Gulf Coast on US 90, not I-10. This will give you an idea of the recovery from Katrina. Although New Orleans got the publicity, the Miss. coast got hit worse.
Ooh, thank you for the tip on Pensacola! With these choices, we may well see if we can bring some crackers, cheese and fruit with us, and avoid the fast food altogether!

Be sure to visit Paula Deans Restaurant in Savannah. The Lady & Son. Our waitress was a singer with a great voice. I was able to get her to sing us a few songs. She did a perfect A Cappella of "Georgia on my mind". Excellent food too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back