Southwest Chief #4

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I would like to take SWC from LAX-CHI on 11 November (Sun) and arrive into CHI on 13 Nov (Tues). I just realized Monday is Veteran's day. Am I nuts for travelling that day. Won't the train be over crowded?

I would like to take SWC from LAX-CHI on 11 November (Sun) and arrive into CHI on 13 Nov (Tues). I just realized Monday is Veteran's day. Am I nuts for travelling that day. Won't the train be over crowded?
I doubt it. Veteran's Day is not a day off for many private businesses, and it is a regular class day for most colleges. I don't think you'll see much of a bump in the passenger load on the SWC or any of the long distance trains.

No, everyone needs a ticket reservation too ride.Therefor ,the train should not be "over crowded".

No, everyone needs a ticket reservation too ride.Therefor ,the train should not be "over crowded".
I just get flashbacks of the scene from "The Out of Towners", the original with Jack Lemmon where the train from BOS-NYC is a jam packed and all they have in the diner is sandwhiches.

I just get flashbacks of the scene from "The Out of Towners", the original with Jack Lemmon where the train from BOS-NYC is a jam packed and all they have in the diner is sandwhiches.
It was peanut butter on white bread with nothing to drink! That is a great movie!

After waiting two hours to get a seat in the dining car:

George Kellerman: Can we see a menu, please?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: We just got sandwiches and drinks.

George Kellerman: Oh. Eh, two Chicken sandwiches, please.

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: Sorry, no chicken.

George Kellerman [pointing to someone with a sandwich across the aisle]: Isn't that chicken?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: Yeah, that's chicken. But when he eats that, that's the end of the chicken.

Gwen Kellerman: They're out of chicken, George.

George Kellerman: Got ham or cheese?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: No ham.

George Kellerman: Just cheese.

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: No cheese.

George Kellerman: [under his breath] No cheese.

Gwen Kellerman: What DO you have?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: Peanut Butter on white bread.

George Kellerman: What else you got?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: More peanut butter on white bread. Ran out of everything a few minutes ago, ma'am.

Gwen Kellerman: But don't you have anything else? My husband isn't allowed to eat peanut butter or white bread.

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: I got saltine crackers and green olives. That's all, ma'am. We didn't expect 350 people tonight. No, ma'am.

I just get flashbacks of the scene from "The Out of Towners", the original with Jack Lemmon where the train from BOS-NYC is a jam packed and all they have in the diner is sandwiches.
Could Sandy Dennis' voice have been any more annoying?

This is one of my favorite movies for sure!

George Kellerman: Uh, are there any seats on this train? huh?

[the conductor shakes his head "no"]

George Kellerman: Oh, well don't you have anything in the parlor car or compartment or anything? I'll pay for it.

Train Conductor: This train runs empty six nights a week exept when the New York airport is fogged in, then they fly 'em up to Boston and we could use four more cars.

George Kellerman: Well why don't you put on four more cars?

Train Conductor: Ain't got four more cars. Noboby takes the train anymore. Everyone is in a hurry.

George Kellerman: You expect us to stand all the way to New York?

Train Conductor: Not if you give me $11.00 each.

[George pays the fares]

Gwen Kellerman: Is there a dining car?

Train Conductor: Just sandwiches and drinks. The next car forward.

Gwen Kellerman: Don't pull! Please don't pull! Oh my God, my straps are broken!

My favorite scene is where Jack Lemmon is desperate to find Sandy Dennis so they can catch the train. Assuming his wife is in the ladies room, he asks an attendant to go get her. The attendant promptly drags an upset, protesting woman from the restroom -- just as Sandy Dennis walks up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you traveling in a sleeper or coach?
Sleeper of course. I could not imagine, although others do it, going coach LAX-CHI.
Then it doesn't really matter (much) how crowded the train is. The diner can handle a full load if the crew is professional. Granted, not a foregone conclusion....
Just as long as I am not in the Trans-dorm again. That experiance was horrible!!! Or at least the Sleeping car attendant was horrible. See my thread Rude SCA on SWC 3, or something to that affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back