southwest chief....how scenic?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carolyn

I am thinking of taking the Southwest chief from Chicago and back...dont want to go all the way to LAX, but now sure where is a good "turn around point". How is the scenery? How is the train in general? Any suggestions?

Carolyn

Trinidad, CO- Raton, NM and Las Vegas, NM-Albuquerque have a lot of great scenic vistas especially from the sightseer lounge. I think you would be in for a great trip from the High Plains of Colorado to Gallup.

I'd go to Flagstaff. It's a beautiful, scenic area and with the train's schedule you could spend two nights in Flagstaff and have a full day to sightsee there. (The train arrives around 10pm, stay the night, have a full day to sightsee, stay another night, and reboard the train eastbound back to Chicago at around 6am that next day.)

The train stops right in downtown Flagstaff close to many hotels, restaurants, and shops. A small yet extensive tour company called Open Road Tours operates right out of the station. They offer reasonably priced guided tours to many of the best stops in the area including the Grand Canyon, Sedona, the Painted Desert, etc aboard nice, nearly brand new comfortable shuttle vans. Check out the Open Road Tours website for detailed information about their daily trips. I believe they will give you a discount if you mention that you're arriving on Amtrak. I often travel on the Amtrak thruway from Flagstaff to Phoenix operated by this tour company and am always very impressed with their professional, friendly service.

I agree with jccollins' comment about Flagstaff. The most desert scenic is between ABQ and Flagstaff, esp. at NM/AZ border. Mountain scenic would be between Trinidad, CO and ABQ.

If you're a historical train buff, there's a steam power train between Williams Jct., AZ and Grand Canyon. Better check on the website to make sure if the schedule will fit.

There's a shuttle between Lamy and Santa Fe.

ABQ is a good place to walk around. Midland Valley went there last May and he had a blast!

gswager said:
If you're a historical train buff, there's a steam power train between Williams Jct., AZ and Grand Canyon. Better check on the website to make sure if the schedule will fit.
Yup, the schedule will fit if spending a full day in the region as I suggested. The Grand Canyon Railway leaves Williams, AZ at 10:00am and arrives at the Grand Canyon at 12:15p. It then leaves the Canyon at 3:30p and arrives back into Williams at 5:45p.

After being used to Amtrak I found the steam train to be annoyingly slow and the ride was not all that scenic. The staff on the train was superb but the train was crowded and overpriced. The GC Railway will sell you a bus tour w/ lunch to take up your time once you're up at the Canyon; it is okay but nothing special.

I think Open Road Tours' own tour directly from Flagstaff is the best bargain and will allow you to see more and better parts of the canyon. However, if you choose to try the GC Railway steam train, Open Road tours has a shuttle that will take you from Flagstaff to Williams to catch the train (a 30 minute ride scheduled specifically to meet the train there) and has a convenient return shuttle from Williams Depot back to Flagstaff's downtown at the Amtrak Station.

After being used to Amtrak I found the steam train to be annoyingly slow and the ride was not all that scenic. The staff on the train was superb but the train was crowded and overpriced. The GC Railway will sell you a bus tour w/ lunch to take up your time once you're up at the Canyon; it is okay but nothing special.
Which class of service did you have on the train. I made the trip several years ago in the dome car going up and the rear platform observation car coming back. I thought it was fantastic, and as you say, the service was first class. I have to agree the scenery is boring after 30-45 minutes.

I think it is fair to say that what constitutes good scenery will vary from person to person. It would seem to me that many, many people would prefer the Rocky Mountain type scenery to the desert.

But............give the desert a chance. I have learned to apprecaite it, but did not learn so immediately overnight. Think this: How can it ever be a mistake to see something you have not seen before?

So go for it....... you might want to check out some geology listings or something to get a better idea ahead of time of the landsccapes, formations,such you might see. That could help better prepare you for it.

Nothing like casually eyeing the desert (or anything else!) from the cool leisure of a beautiful sightseer lounge.

By the way....that's my train...I work it from CHI to KCY. The LAX crews are wonderful. Hope you have a great trip.

I agree with going to Flagstaff. I took the SW Chief back in July and loved it!! I spent most of the time in the sightseer car. The scenery was great as this was my first trip out west and I took about three rolls of pics on the train alone. The old towns along the route are really neat and I think the next time I do it I will stop for a night or two along the route. Do you have sleeping accomidations or are you going coach. I highly reccommend getting a sleeper for a good nights rest and a shower in the morning. That being my first train trip, I am now hooked and want to take and other. I was going to take the City Of New Orleans, but that will have to be put off for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions on a over night form Chicago thats not to expensive???

Bill Haithcoat said:
tubaallen said:
By the way....that's my train...I work it from CHI to KCY.  The LAX crews are wonderful.  Hope you have a great trip.

Good to hear from you again tubaallen, it's been awhile, hasn't it? I love the SW Chief, also.
Yes it has. I get so busy, and then I forget about coming back...until something spurs my mind.

Back