Southwest Chief-LAX to CHICAGO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gabbytony

Making my first AMTRAK trip in October. Going from Los Angeles to Chicago. Have a sleeper car Bedroom.

If any one has taken this trip and wants to share experiences and give any advice I would be grateful.

Tony

Making my first AMTRAK trip in October. Going from Los Angeles to Chicago. Have a sleeper car Bedroom.

If any one has taken this trip and wants to share experiences and give any advice I would be grateful.

Tony
I made this trip early in the year and had a great trip. You can read my trip report here Not knowing where you live, I would recommend leaving from Fullerton (FUL) if you live in the vicinty. It is a laid back experience departing from FUL compared to the hustle and bustle from leaving at the Los Angeles station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dove. That you for the reply and a link to your previous thread.

I am boarding in Los Angeles because I will be flying in from Las Vegas to catch the train.

Tony
Would love to see some comments! I am planning a trip next summer from LAX to Chicago, too :) And also some other places (possibly Washington, NY, Georgia and Florida).

Have fun on your trip!

I've taken this twice from Chicago to Flagstaff, both times were in the Spring however. I enjoyed Kansas City (even though it was dark when we arrived), La Junta, and Albuquerque. In fact when we arrived in Albuquerque I had enough time to trek a couple blocks to a local flower shop to buy a single rose for the girl I was meeting in Flagstaff. In my opinion I get off at every smoke break, not to smoke but just to stretch my legs, get fresh air, take in the scenery etc. I especially enjoyed the Colorado/New Mexico scenery, but if you enjoy the flat rolling plains, then Kansas to Illinois would be your preferred viewing preference. I took my trip in coach both times, but you can still enjoy the sightseer lounge and with your sleeper reservation you 3 meals a day for the length of your trip.

Tony
I did this with my kids three years ago and had a great time. We went coach. We were early into Albuquerque so got to wander around the town for a good hour before making our way back to the station. Seems like there were Indian blankets and jewelry for sale near the train. Like a previous poster, we got out whenever the train stopped if we could see. So got out for a quick break at La Junta and also Fort Madison IA. Stopped in Kansas City but I was asleep so missed that stop.

If you have time before you leave, go across the street from Union Station in LA to Olvera Street and take a look around.

Enjoy your trip!

Dan

i loved it......really enjoyed the stop in ABQ to look at the little vendors market.....

nice scenic route....took lots of photos out of my window....

LAUS has some food places as well...such as a subway, starbucks (should be open), a bagel place and a mini market....

i did use a red cap..worth it as there is a bit of a walk to the train...you can store bags for $3 each IIRC as well if you want to wander around...

you can take the bus to the station from the airport, or a cab or super shuttle (or whatever..) I also rented a hertz car at the airport and dropped it off at the station. I had to call to do this.(officially on the website it wasn't possible, but well they want your money and will try to accomodate you...Though i must say getting TO the station was fun. Not that bad, more like too many nutty pedestrians that come literally out of nowhere..)...they have Hertz and Budget...(sometimes the Hertz agent is late too...kind of annoying, but the Budget rep was always there when I was and he was happy to rent me a car...)

it is a great trip..

for the person who may go to DC...i would try for the Cap Limited out of CHI to WAS.....IMO nicer than the LSL or Cardinal.......

The Flyaway Bus from the airport to Union Station is the easiest and is cheap -- $6 direct door-to-door, with frequent service.

Thank you everyone for all the great and useful information. Because of all the help I have received on here, my virgin LD trip is going to full of fun and excitement. Because I will be prepared.

I've done this trip a few times..to KC and all the way to Chicago then on to Milwaukee (starting in Albuquerque) Albuquerque can be a long stop if they are running on time. My big suggestion for Albuquerque is to NOT order food at the little snack bar in the station. You can get grab and go items but for anything that is cooked on the grill, the guy will take an order...cook the whole order..and give it to the cashier before he starts another order. No just going down the line seeing how many burgers, hot dogs, etc and getting them going. One...at...a...time. Odd.

I really enjoy this route..lots of great scenery, Raton pass, crossing the Mississippi. If you are going on from Chicago on a train, don't forget that there is a lounge there for sleeping car passengers. Very nice, TVs, seating, snacks and drinks. I wish LAX had a lounge..you would think they would, but no.

We've done GBB-KCY and KCY-LAX rtn and we got as far as Winslow, AZ yesterday on the SWC (had to detrain as lil un got sick :( ) Its a really nice route, got some great scenery, hopefully we'll pick it up again tomorrow to get back to LAX :)

LSA:

AWESOME man. Absolutely awesome. Best tour I have ever seen of an Amtrak Superliner.

Thank you.

My daughter and I visited the Fullerton station yesterday, so we could get a look at the Southwest Chief (we are planning a trip on it next year). Took some pictures, talked to people, etc. Nice little station!

Tony
I made this trip early in the year and had a great trip. You can read my trip report here Not knowing where you live, I would recommend leaving from Fullerton (FUL) if you live in the vicinty. It is a laid back experience departing from FUL compared to the hustle and bustle from leaving at the Los Angeles station.

You really should leave from Los Angeles Union Station. It is gorgeous and one of the great train stations of the U. S.
Aloha

While I agree with you on the beauty of LAUS. I would no go to the station area just to leave from there. i am suspecting the OP is visiting Disneyland, So the Fullerton Station is the most convenient. If my visit were to include a LA visit then definitely, I would depart from LAUS

Thanks for all the great advice. I have decided to arrive in Los Angeles early in the morning. Mess around for a while and then catch the 6:15 PM SWC train out of Los Angeles for my trip back home.

Thanks to ALL of you for providing me with so much useful information that will assure I have a great trip..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back