Southwest Chief rerouting via St. Louis...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAW66

Train Attendant
I've been hearing about #3/4 rerouting via St. Louis today, due to a freight derailment at Niota, IL some time last night. This morning's #4 (17th) detoured, and today's #3 is supposed to be detouring as well. Has anyone here heard anything more about the derailment?

Why? Kansas City-St. Louis-Chicago already has multiple frequencies daily (including one through train). The Chief would have to take a schedule largely duplicated by the Ann Rutledge anyway.

Passengers KC-Chicago save several hours using the Chief, not to mention the half-dozen or so stops in between.

rmadisonwi said:
Passengers KC-Chicago save several hours using the Chief, not to mention the half-dozen or so stops in between.
Not to mention that the UP line between KC and St. Louis is mostly single track and horribly overloaded with traffic right now. When I rode Ann back in February, we were over 3 hours late into St. Louis, thanks to congestion.

AlanB said:
When I rode Ann back in February, we were over 3 hours late into St. Louis, thanks to congestion.
Alan, you dawg! Maybe Ann needs some Ny-Quil.

AlanB said:
rmadisonwi said:
Not to mention that the UP line between KC and St. Louis is mostly single track and horribly overloaded with traffic right now. When I rode Ann back in February, we were over 3 hours late into St. Louis, thanks to congestion.

Hi, AlanB!

Does the Ann Rutledge still use Horizon equipment? How is the ride on those cars?

Almost all Midwest service uses Horizon, including the Ann. The ride seemed pretty good to me when Jon and I rode them to Milwaukee in July.

battalion51 said:
Almost all Midwest service uses Horizon, including the Ann. The ride seemed pretty good to me when Jon and I rode them to Milwaukee in July.
The Horizon fleet is about the only Western/Midwestern equipment I haven't been on. Mostly, I'm on the Superliners, but I've been on trips in Heritage and Amfleet II equipment. Those cars rode well, but I wasn't used to being so close to the tracks! :p

battalion51 said:
Actually not all of the mid-west equipment is Horizon, although most is. But I have seen a few Amfleets in the mix from time to time. If you choose business class, where it's offered, and you'll be guaranteed an Amfleet car.

While the ride quality and the short widnows have been debated ad nausem in this and other websites for quite some time, I must say that, as a mostly NEC traveler, the appearance of an occasional Horizon car in the Corridor is interesting to say the least.

I rather like the open, more traditional passenger car cross section rather than the sometimes claustrophobic Amfleet I and II cars.

Now if only they'd replace those gunslits with some real picture windows, there are many eastern trains that would benefit from the changeover.

railman said:
I rather like the open, more traditional passenger car cross section rather than the sometimes claustrophobic Amfleet I and II cars.
Now if only they'd replace those gunslits with some real picture windows, there are many eastern trains that would benefit from the changeover.
I'll second that. :)

That was one thing that Amtrak/Bombardier did get right on the Acela. It may have many other problems, but it's got great windows, lot's of light, and a nice airy feeling to the cars.

Isn't it actually due to new safety regulations that they have to be built with larger windows now? Something to do with allowing rescue workers to fit through the windows with all their gear on. So, it's not like Bombardier really had a choice in the matter.

rmadisonwi said:
Isn't it actually due to new safety regulations that they have to be built with larger windows now? Something to do with allowing rescue workers to fit through the windows with all their gear on. So, it's not like Bombardier really had a choice in the matter.
That's one I hadn't heard, but I suppose that it's possible. On the other hand, most commuter RR's aren't buying cars with windows that large, so I don't think that it's a regulation.

Amtrak has stated that it was simply a good idea to have larger windows for their customers to better enjoy the ride.

Aloha

My first long distance train was in a Horison Sleeper from Jacksonvill, FL to Washington, DC, and I don't remember small windows. What I remember was being able to see out as I drifted off to sleep. This car was and still is my favorite sleeper.

:p

GG-1 said:
Aloha
My first long distance train was in a Horison Sleeper from Jacksonvill, FL to Washington, DC, and I don't remember small windows. What I remember was being able to see out as I drifted off to sleep. This car was and still is my favorite sleeper.

That would have been a “Heritage” car, not a “Horizon” car. The Heritage cars are those that Amtrak obtained from the railroads on day one some 33 years ago and those had nicely sized windows. Amtrak did not purchase any sleeper versions of the Horizon equipment.

AlanB said:
rmadisonwi said:
Isn't it actually due to new safety regulations that they have to be built with larger windows now?  Something to do with allowing rescue workers to fit through the windows with all their gear on.  So, it's not like Bombardier really had a choice in the matter.
That's one I hadn't heard, but I suppose that it's possible. On the other hand, most commuter RR's aren't buying cars with windows that large, so I don't think that it's a regulation.

Amtrak has stated that it was simply a good idea to have larger windows for their customers to better enjoy the ride.
Metra's new cars have large windows, as do NJT's new cars. What other commuter railroads have received brand new equipment in the last year or two?

The Bi-Level Bombardier Cars have some pretty large windows, as do the new Kawasaki Coaches that MBTA, VRE, and MARC have. One of the things I love though is that you can see out the fireman's side from the public area on the Bombardier Coaches. Granted your a few feet away from the true head end, but it still feels and sounds like the head end since you can usually hear everything going on (since most Engineers leave the door to the cab open).

Metra's new cars have large windows, as do NJT's new cars.  What other commuter railroads have received brand new equipment in the last year or two?
The Long Island Railroad and Metro North are in the process of receiving all of their M-7 cars although they first started appearing about two years ago now. I believe the windows on the M-7's are larger then those on their predecessors the M-1 and M-3's.

PRR 60 said:
GG-1 said:
Aloha

That would have been a “Heritage” car, not a “Horizon” car. The Heritage cars are those that Amtrak obtained from the railroads on day one some 33 years ago and those had nicely sized windows. Amtrak did not purchase any sleeper versions of the Horizon equipment.
Aloha

Mahalo, Now that you remind me they were Heritage cars, still my favorite.

Back