SouthWest Chief with 12 yr old

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pastena57

I am travelling cross country with my son this summer on the SWC from Chicago. I'd like to stop for an overnight mid point between Chicago and Flagstaff (spending a fews in Flagstaff) any suggestions? Is Trinidad a good option? Any other tips on this trip with a child?

thank you

I don't know much about Trinidad but I know Albuquerque has a nice zoo and aquarium. There is also the Sandia Peak Tramway that takes you to the top of Sandia Peak. These three places could pretty much fill a day. Probably require a rental car.

Bill Nash

are you traveling coach or sleeper, this could make a big difference with a 12 year old. I would recommend a roomette or bed room if you can afford it.

are you traveling coach or sleeper, this could make a big difference with a 12 year old. I would recommend a roomette or bed room if you can afford it.
Generally the 12 year old will do better in coach than the parent. They can go unconcious almost anywhere. Curled up on the seat or stretched out on the floor at your feet work quite well. (experince speaking)

Not sure there is much to do in Trinidad at all. Maybe someplace to go from there. La Junta, which is about the same size has a kiva and a fort to visit if you rent a car and drive a few miles. I think I'd stop in Albuquerque or Kansas City if I wanted a choice of cool things to see/do for a day or more.

Dan

So much depends on what you and your 12yo like to do -- outdoors? educational like museums and historical sites - how people lived long ago? Riding the Seilbahn, ropeway, tramway - whatever - up Sandia (that's watermelon in English) ridge?

I tend to agree with those who say Albuquerque. If you stay 2 nights, take the day trip to Santa Fe and walk the young one up to Martyr's peak and down again to the famous square - the exercise will do you both good -- and make visiting the Palace of the Governor museum welcome - some real good history there.

Also there's a lot of youngish students (JHS thru CC) who commute on the Rail-Runner - I know my kids, when they were 12, really liked to see how "grown-up" teenagers behave (pretty good, usually!)

If only only one night layover in ABQ yo9u could see the Biopark (zoo, botanical gardens, aquarium) or try the Sandia Ridge tramway.

I took a 3-night layover in Albuquerque from the SWC this May - having a 12yo along might have made it even better.

<edit>

PS - some of the best times I spent with my (then) 12 year old kids was just walking and talking (or not) and seeing new things together.

Hope your trip is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back