Special request for rearmost coach car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertDude

Train Attendant
A month ago I rode on the SWC, with the train configuration being: engine - sleeper cars - dining car/sightseer lounge - coach cars. The group I was with discussed the fact that since we were more towards the front of the train in the sleeper cars, we weren't able to get good photos of the front of the train when the train was on a curved segment of track. It dawned on me that if one was riding in a coach car at the very rear of the train, he or she would get the two-fold benefit of 1) getting better photos of the front of the train and 2) being close to the railfan window at the back of the train.

So here's my question - if I'm riding coach on a train which I know will have the coach cars on the end, is there any way I can specially request to be seated on the very last coach car?

Depending on where you board and where you're planning to detrain, the coach attendant will assign you a seat in a specific car.

You can always ask to sit in the last coach car, though. If feasible, the attendant will put you there, but keep in mind some passengers are put in specific cars based on where they're detraining (some platforms are too short to allow the entire consist to "pull up"), so there's a chance the attendant will say no. Also, depending on where you are boarding, that car may be full already.

Basically, yes you can request this when you board. As for whether or not it will be honored, that's up to the car attendant.

Even if you don't get to sit in the last coach car, there is nothing stopping you from taking a walk back there to do your photographs and hang out a while by the railfan window, is there? There are almost always seats available between stations. The worst that will happen is that (at a stop) someone will board and need the seat you may be temporarily occupying.

Even if you don't get to sit in the last coach car, there is nothing stopping you from taking a walk back there to do your photographs and hang out a while by the railfan window, is there? There are almost always seats available between stations. The worst that will happen is that (at a stop) someone will board and need the seat you may be temporarily occupying.
This too. I've often asked the SCA if I can move to an empty roomette so I can take pictures out of the other side of the train. Most of them seemed surprised that I even asked.

On my last trip, the SCAs on the EB and the CZ both made an announcement that the car was pretty empty and to feel free to move around and take pictures as much as we wanted.

The train window is an homage for me. Be it sleeper or coach, it gets a visit, sometimes multiple. I actually hope the Zephyr consist this summer keeps the sleepers in the back,, less of a trek for the old man. My fav train window pic is coming out of the Moffat

Everyone thinks that they will get a good picture of the side of the train going around a corner. The one that Ed poseted above was probably one of the better ones I have seen. Usually those pictures are not that great and you end up taking way too many that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone thinks that they will get a good picture of the side of the train going around a corner. The one that Ed posted above was probably one of the better ones I have seen. Usually those pictures are not that great and you end up taking way too many that way.
It appears to have been taken out an opened window in the side door, not the rear railfan window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back