Spring Break Aboard The Silvers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sweetlenox

Greetings and I hope all of you are doing well. After lurking (and a few posts) I've finally decided to join. While I wait for the go ahead, I'm just going to give you guys a few highlights from my latest long distance trip, Spring Break aboard the Silvers, NYP-MIA Mar/Apr 2013.

Sun Departure 3/24 NYP - MIA - Silver Meteor

Arrival at NYP at the 8th Avenue entrance 45 minutes before departure. By the time I finished checking bags and grabbing a few things to read, the Acela Lounge was packed. Introduced myself to the clerk grabbed a seat only to hear a faint announcement regarding boarding, which caused me to immediately get up and start following a Red Cap. I had no clue, but the direction the Red Cap was going seemed familiar so I just followed :unsure: . Received a little resistance from a Amtrak worker regarding my non usage of the Red Cap (I'm assuming she figured he could handle the load he had, my bags and the stranger trailing down behind me). We assured her that this was our train and we'd heard an announcement (as the stranger and I joined together to convince the Amtrak employee we belonged on this particular platform), and after a quick check of our tickets an SCA allowed us to board.

My little roomette (which was located in the middle of the car) had seen better days, but that was something I got used to really quick. My SCA Rodney, showed up shortly with a manifest and welcomed me aboard. Rodney was efficient, with a good sense of humor and made everyone in the sleeper feel welcomed. I had an early dinner reservation and (as the train was packed, so I was encouraged to get in dinner as soon as the opening presented itself). My dinner companions were an interesting couple (a retired MTA exec/Republican and his wife/Democratic) and a single coach traveler who felt it was her duty to convert anyone she had contact with, to begin using Amtrak as their means of transportation when traveling. We shared a light and funny debate/conversation regarding railroad subsidies, Hurricane Sandy and other stuff :) . The single traveler's recall of her story getting left at the Orlando Station in here pajamas was hilarious. She had us doubled over with her dry humor regarding a not so funny situation! What was even better was (according to the traveler) the Amtrak worker at the station taking care of her (getting her a cab, giving her money & a shoulder to cry on). In the end she was able to get her luggage and make it back home to FL. This small group was the best company I encountered at a meal the entire trip! Oh, and did I mention I had the crab cakes, with rice pilaf, veggies and cheesecake with cold rasberry sauce?

Just after dinner I had a seat in the lounge car, & was able to take a few calls and wait for Rodney to put together my bed. The Roomette turned pretty comfy and I read a few articles before turning in for the night. Every now and then I'd wake up and cross my fingers as a mid atlantic snow storm had blew in overnight in Virginia and was coating the tracks with snow. I must admit I slept pretty well. Breakfast was an early call & I had the pancakes & juice. Rodney was hustling around the car and inquired about my bedding arrangements. Well I decided to eat, return to my roomette, and take advantage of the early hour (7:30am) and ended up falling back asleep until 10:30am :p .

After a shower I pulled myself together and had lunch. The black been veggie burger with chips was good (actually better than the crab cakes IMO). I returned back to my room to read, sleep, make phone calls and await my final destination MIA.. Although we arrived over an hour late I was pleased with the service.

Rented a condo in South Beach, had a blast in Little Havana, Little Haiti, Coral Gables, The Miami Beach Boardwalk and South Pointe Park! My friends and I ate, danced, drank, chilled and walked our way through Spring Break 2013. ;)

I won't bore you with the details of the Silver Star Return trip a week later, but I will add this: The food coming back on the Star was much better than the Meteor. Chef was much better, food was presented better and tasted better. The staff was accomodating, funny and professional at all times. I would have rathered taken a few of my meals in my room (as a few them were a just a boring, uncomfortable drag :mellow: but I made the best of it). In addition the Star's SCA Dean? was a good guy and kept us informed once the delay coming home turned into an extra 3hr's on the train :angry: .

Overall I'd say it was a great trip and I hope to be able to take another one sometime later this year. :)

I enjoyed reading your report and next time you go you should have them bring your meals to your room. That's what I do because I'm a quiet person. Plus when I first started taking the train I heard some doozies in the dining car. But then in fairness I guess if I shared my life story someone might think they were hearing a couple of lies in there somewhere but I'd know it was the truth.

Thanks for your report. We'll be taking the Meteor from NY to Orlando (and back) next winter. It's fun getting a 'sneak preview.'

Glad you guys enjoyed the report.

I must say I usually enjoy the meals but on this trip it was pretty much a bust. Much better convo at the bar or at the longer station stops.

One last monetary note. It pays to check pricing even after purchase. I used the online option to buy 2 one way tickets the first NYP-MIA was obtained about 45 days before departure & was the highest bucket. I checked everyday & sure enough found a cheaper room. Called Amtrak & the rep made the switch minus the 10% and I received a refund of $145. Going back from MIA I purcashed the room 3 weeks before trip and snagged the lowest bucket fare for roomette ($221.00). Oh, the staff appreciated my tipping.

Safe travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back