Springfield IL Daytrip/points run #1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat314159

Train Attendant
Having a day off work I decided to embark on a trip STL-SPI-ALN-STL. Half for points half to see some of the Lincoln Historic Sites. I enjoyed visiting Springfield and hope for another chance to go back and check out the presidential museum.

The morning started out as many of mine do making a jog for the Metrolink as I hear the horn at the crossing west of me that means I need myself on the platform in the next 20 seconds or so.

Arrived at the Gateway Transit center and proceeded directly to the gate/platform. They'd already made the boarding announcement and the crowd was mostly seated for our 6:40am departure on Train #302.

Instead of the usual McArthur bridge over to IL at downtown we took the Merchants street Bridge into Illinois. Not sure if this is the normal route for the early train but it provided a pleasant change of pace from the usual route taken by the later Lincoln Service trains. We ran on time to ALN and CRV but got a few minutes behind in the [de]training at CRV due to deploying the wheelchair lift.

Arrived SPI 8:45am(8 minutes late)

For short layovers I recommend a walk to Union Station or the

Great Western Depot (Lincoln's last train departure in IL) . Lunch at the Feed Store was also delicious and affordable hommade soups and sandwiches a 5 minute walk from the Amtrak behind the old state capital.

I saw all or most of the free exhibits around town had a nice time and walked back to the Amtrak Station for my train to Alton. The 321 pulled in 23 minutes late and arrived at ALN 51 minutes late at 7:13pm. I assume due to freight traffic. I took advantage of LD seats and dozed off for the most of the ride.

Alton leaves a good bit to be desired in terms of waiting options near the station. I walked the 3/4 of a mile to a CVS and Subway and a few other things in a strip mall. For anyone else who is just looking for waiting room hours for ALN as posted on the door they are 5a-545a 6a-4p 5p-730p and 9p-midnight.

#305 arrived 9:58pm 8 minutes late into ALN after much pausing for freight traffic we arrived into STL via MacArthur Bridge route at 11:09pm 24 minutes late.

It was a long but enjoyable day. If I make this trip again I'd put my points run stop in Carlinville instead of Alton. I could see a McDonalds and DQ from the train station stop there.

Lincoln/Great Western Depot IMG_20150821_114029836.jpg

Wabash Delmar Station IMG_20150821_061037171.jpg

Departure Board at Lincoln DepotIMG_20150821_114259160.jpg

ALN with 21/321/421 in background IMG_20150821_191635798_HDR.jpg

Nice day trip and pics, thanks for sharing!

And you're right, SPI is an interesting place to visit! To think, a fairly small town in the corn fields of Illinois helped shape two US Presidents!!!

President Obama was an Illinois State Senator and announced for President on the steps of the Old Capitol on a bitterly Cold Winter Day!

I forget the other dudes name, some old guy with a beard! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back