Squeezing extra life out of the Acelas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeastern292

Service Attendant
Would it be possible to get another few years out of the Acela cars for NEC equipment expansion by rearranging some of the Acela fleet once the Acela IIs are online? That's my argument, since it's going to be a few years until we see a next generation of Amfleets. And I'd say the new Amfleets be for expansion and not outright replacement, unless Amtrak can justify their replacements.

From what I understand talking to people who are supposed to know such things there is currently no plan tor retire any Acela I sets when the first round of Acela II sets come online. The Acela II sets are planned to be net addition to the fleet, at least in the first round. So I am not sure who you are arguing with about what. :)

Okay, maybe I DID put this in the wrong category.

My point is this: Amtrak has an equipment shortage, and I'd love to Amtrak get the funding it needs to expand. No more of this bare-bones network!

One reason that is often cited for retiring old equipment is that "you can't get the parts".

This is actually innaccurate. You can get parts for virtually anything. You can still get parts for a model T Ford. You can get parts for steam locomotives. The more accurate assesment is "you can't get parts at a price that makes retaining the old stuff financially viable".

Train equipment doesn't have a strict shelf like as food does, saying, after this date it's broke and can't be fixed. It's more like the costs of keeping it running increase from year to year and there comes a point that its just cheaper to bite the bulet and get new.

Equipment is mainly retired for one of two reasons

1) new equipment makes more sense economically to maintain and operate

2) or, demands and use case have changed to the point that the old equipment is no longer appropriate. For example, it can't go fast enough, it doesn't meet safety or accessibility requirements, it doesn't meet modern comfort requirements and can't be easily retrofitted.

When will the Acela sets meet either point 1 or point 2? That is what will ultimately decide when they get retired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back