St Louis Amtrak Parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie6052

Train Attendant
Taking a weekend trip from St Louis to Chicago in January. Has anyone heard if long term parking is avaiable for a resoanable fee at the new Amtrak station.

Taking a weekend trip from St Louis to Chicago in January. Has anyone heard if long term parking is avaiable for a resoanable fee at the new Amtrak station.
I stopped by there the other day, to specifically ask this question. There is NO long term parking at the station. The only lot available is a lot that is $1/hour (OUCH). The agents inside the station told me that you can park at Union Station (about 2-3 blocks, or one Metrolink stop, away) for $18/day, or park at the Sheraton Hotel garage (right across the street from the station) for $17/day.

If you are from the area, I would suggest taking a cab to the station (depending on how far away you are, and how many days you will be gone, this might actually be MORE expensive than the parking), parking at a Metrolink station that offers long-term parking, or, do what I think I'm going to do for my trip in March--park in long term parking at the airport, and then take Metrolink to the station. There is long-term parking at the airport available anywhere from $5-$18 per day. If you want/need a map of the metrolink stops and long term parking garages, here is a link: Metrolink

When I was down there, just before it opened for Amtrak, parking was $1/hr. NO LONGTERM PARKING!! I wonder about leaving the car at Alton.

I just took a train from St. Louis to Springfield in December. I left St Louis at 6:35am and returned at about 11:00pm. I parked my vehicle at Union Station. It cost $16 for the day. It seemed a lot safer than anywhere around the station. In the future I am going to use the Alton Station. I usually use Alton, I left from St Louis just to see the new station. I would leave from Alton if I was you. Alton has free parking and they recently increased parking with a gravel lot. I have not heard of any problems with cars at the Alton station.

If I am going West towards Kansas City I leave from Kirkwood - nice free parking lot in the middle of Kirkwood - seems pretty safe to me.

If I am going West towards Kansas City I leave from Kirkwood - nice free parking lot in the middle of Kirkwood - seems pretty safe to me.
Ditto! I'm right between the stations at St Louis and Kirkwood; 20-25 minutes to either one. Like you, if I'm going to Kansas City, I leave from Kirkwood--the parking lot is directly across from city hall and the police station; never had a problem. In fact, I'm headed to Kirkwood tomorrow for a trip west. However, if I'm headed towards Chicago, I usually end up leaving from St Louis, due to the train schedule from there fits into my schedule a little better. I have nervously left the car at the downtown St Louis station (before the new station), and, thankfully, didn't have any problems there. Leaving it at Union Station for the day probably wouldn't be any problem, but, I'd be concerned with an overnight there; just my paranoid mind at work. Once the shops close down, it is basically very isolated there, with easy access for anyone to wander around. Downtown here can be a little 'troublesome' at times. If I were going to drive and leave a car, I'd be more tempted to leave it at the Sheraton Hotel garage. It's an enclosed garage, with security, and right across the street from the station. I know if you're a hotel guest, they validate the parking; I wonder, if you stay the night before departure, or the night after arrival, if they'll work a 'deal' with you for the parking...might be worth contacting them....Perhaps I'll check into that before my trip in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back