St. Paul, MN First Class Lounge?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RalphCT

Service Attendant
I'm traveling round trip in a Roomette on the Empire Builder to MSP in February. On my return I'll most likely have to arrive at the Union Depot in Saint Paul the early afternoon and have a long wait before the 10:20 departure of the westbound Empire Builder. I've traveled the route many times but this will be my first trip to the Union Depot in Saint Paul. I did a search on this forum but most of the information pertained to the planned move to the new station. Now that SPUD is being used I was wondering about:

1. The lounge for first class passengers? What services are available there? Are there showers?

2. Are there restaurants in the station or a food court?

3. Can I safely store my carry on luggage somewhere in the lounge or station? I recall that in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago there was a room where carry ons could be stored.

4. Any recommendations for a nearby casual restaurant and/or bar that I could walk to for dinner?

5. Any recommendations for a Sunday afternoon/evening in downtown Saint Paul?

Thanks,

Ralph

Hi Ralph, you will really enjoy seeing the restored depot.They did a fantastic job. Their is a small first class lounge in st paul but the regular waiting area is so nice i'm not sure how much it is used.I don't think their are showers. Have not left luggage for the day but i would expect if you had a ticket you can for a small fee but you might want to call and ask. As far as places to eat and things to do in st paul. Their is a nice greek restsurant in the depot but i think it is closed sundays. No food court. I have stopped at the golden deli which is nearby and is fine. Otherwise Mickey's diner is a fun hamburger place in st paul designed in the 30's to look like a dining car. http://www.mickeysdiningcar.com/ Other stuff to do: Rice park for a walk, The Minnesota History museum, Schubert musical instrument museum at the Landmark center, James J Hill House tour (the orignal Empire Builder) , St paul Cathedral tour or service, State capitol, Como Park Conservatory and zoo. Good plays or arts at the history theater, ordway, or park square. Lastly if you have the time the new green line light rail runs back and forth to downtown minneapolis 24 hours a day if you want to go for a ride. Hope you have a good trip.

The lounge is unstaffed but protected with a code. I'm not sure if you can store luggage there. I would call and ask if you can.

Mickeys Diner is a decent greasy food joint. The station has a Greek restaurant, but I've never been there. If you like baseball, the St. Paul Saints play nearby (a minor league team.) There's a couple bars down that direction as well.

If you're willing to explore, the light rail stops right in front and offers service to Minneapolis and many intermediate points. Republic (about a block north of the West Bank station) has very good bar food and a very large tap beer selection. Best Steak House is near one of the stations as well (have to look it up) and offers a good inexpensive steak.

As for sightseeing, I'd have to check on a few things but there is a lot to do. The state capitol is closed for renovations, so no tours are available. The James J Hill house is worth going to, but is quite a walk from the light rail.

Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up for a bit on the layover. If I'm in the area, I'd be happy to meet up for a bit.

I got to see the lounge in December 2015 when I was volunteering with the Friends of the 261 North Pole Express train... and it was one of the worst First Class lounges in the system. You have to go to a different floor of the station and get the code for the room from an agent. Of course, they have almost no one who is Select Plus status with AGR ask for the code -- so I had to argue with the guy behind the counter for 10 minutes. He was nice, but kept saying he didn't know what Select Plus was. I offered to show him the AGR website, but he just gave in and gave me the code. We went up there and there was nothing in there pretty much besides some seats. No coffee or snacks or anything -- or even water. I went down to the agent again and he had two coffee pots behind the counter and said that is where they keep the coffee. When I asked, he gave us 2 cups. Just very weird. There are no bathrooms (and yes, no showers) in the lounge. There is no attendant in there, either. The new St. Paul station is beautiful, but this is just a glass cordoned off very small area of a hallway they turned into the lounge. Atleast the "lounge" in St. Louis has water for everyone atleast and a TV.

Thanks for the replies. I just watched the video on the restoration of the Union Depot in Saint Paul. It appears to have been a very impressive effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDPfx88-KU

On Amtrak's website, in the area on station information, there is supposedly available "Baggage Storage." The info button says, "Baggage storage is an area where passengers may store their bags, equivalent to "left luggage" in Europe. A storage fee may apply."

​Does anyone know more about this service? Is this staffed by Amtrak where baggage can be stored for a short period so I can leave the station without carrying around a suitcase?

The MN History Museum in downtown St. Paul would be a fabulous place to check out until 5pm. After that walk over to the light rail and take it all the way until the end in Minneapolis and get off in downtown Mpls. The Loon Café is right on the corner or there are a lot more places to choose from in that area. You can then take it back to the station in downtown St.Paul.

I am so glad they moved. The old station was in an industrial area with NO place to go to.

FYI- I know a lot of people like to bring an adult beverage to consume in the sleepers. I know I do. There are no off-sale hard liquor sales on Sunday.

...The old station was in an industrial area with NO place to go to...
I've been there! Took a van service once from Hayward, WI to the old station. The van dropped me off around noon. Not much to do there until the late train. I'm looking forward to seeing the restored Saint Paul station.

Every time I'm in the Twin Cities, I eat at Christos. One of the locations is in Union Depot; it has the best atmosphere, but poor acoustics. The Union Depot location is not open on Sunday, sad to say.

... I just watched the video on the restoration of the Union Depot in St Paul. ... a very impressive effort.

Very interesting video about this fine structure.

Now we need 4 or 5 more daily trains to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, and one more to Fargo and Grand Forks, to fully restore St Paul's Union Depot to its rightful place.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I just watched the video on the restoration of the Union Depot in St Paul. ... a very impressive effort.

Very interesting video about this fine structure.

Now we need 4 or 5 more daily trains to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, and one more to Fargo and Grand Forks, to fully restore St Paul's Union Depot to its rightful place.
Plus a whole host of regional/commuter rail trains as well.

The Cathedral of St. Paul is s truly grand affair. If you like classic architecture and art at all, check it out. On Sunday, you might even catch it during a Mass, and get to hear the organ.

I second the historic musical instrument museum idea. A short walk from the station, unique, and won't take terribly long to get through.

Also, there is a model railroad exhibit just a bus ride away:

http://www.tcmrm.org

Thanks for the replies. I just watched the video on the restoration of the Union Depot in Saint Paul. It appears to have been a very impressive effort.

On Amtrak's website, in the area on station information, there is supposedly available "Baggage Storage." The info button says, "Baggage storage is an area where passengers may store their bags, equivalent to "left luggage" in Europe. A storage fee may apply."

​Does anyone know more about this service? Is this staffed by Amtrak where baggage can be stored for a short period so I can leave the station without carrying around a suitcase?
That is a service offered by most stations with baggage service. You "day check" your bags with the baggage counter and they hold onto it until you come and get it. The standard cost is $4 per bag (except at least NYP, which is higher). It isn't related to the sleeper lounge/waiting area in St. Paul. Only the locations with full Metropolitan Lounges or Club Acelas have luggage holding facilities (which are free). Typically it is just an area where you can store your bag with no attendant except in Chicago. There you hand your bag over to a Red Cap for storage in the Metropolitan Lounge's baggage room. I understand this may change to the open luggage holding areas when the new Metropolitan Lounge opens.

The Cathedral of St. Paul is s truly grand affair. If you like classic architecture and art at all, check it out. On Sunday, you might even catch it during a Mass, and get to hear the organ.

I second the historic musical instrument museum idea. A short walk from the station, unique, and won't take terribly long to get through.

Also, there is a model railroad exhibit just a bus ride away:

http://www.tcmrm.org
They're moving here soon. The new location is near the old Midway station, and it's a light rail ride away (12 minute walk from the Fairview Ave. station.)

I'm traveling round trip in a Roomette on the Empire Builder to MSP in February. On my return I'll most likely have to arrive at the Union Depot in Saint Paul the early afternoon and have a long wait before the 10:20 departure of the westbound Empire Builder. I've traveled the route many times but this will be my first trip to the Union Depot in Saint Paul. I did a search on this forum but most of the information pertained to the planned move to the new station. Now that SPUD is being used I was wondering about:

1. The lounge for first class passengers? What services are available there? Are there showers?

3. Can I safely store my carry on luggage somewhere in the lounge or station? I recall that in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago there was a room where carry ons could be stored.

4. Any recommendations for a nearby casual restaurant and/or bar that I could walk to for dinner?

Thanks,

Ralph
1. The "lounge" is just a small space off the main concourse with zero services and a doorcode. The chairs are comfy :) Wifi available, USB chargers available throughout main concourse.

2. The only in-station restaurant, Christos, is closed Sunday. No food court.

3. The lower-level Amtrak front ticketing desk should store bags for the standard $4 day fee.

4. Nearby bars and restaurants -- there's several, and if you're willing to walk a mile, or pay for a light-rail pass, or a bus ticket, there's dozens -- hundreds.

You've got almost 12 hours -- the "small world" of the Twin Cities is your oyster.

Unfortunately both Christos and Tanpopo (Japanese) nearby are closed Sunday. Ryan's dive bar across Kellog from the ticket office --naah.

Several good recommendations posted already. There's some newer places around Mears Park about 3 blocks from SPUD - haven't tried them

Walk west - uphill, on Kellog, or 4th, or 5th, and turn left on 7th, near the XCEL center, there's two "Irish" pubs - the Liffey and another, and Cossetta's, and some bar-grill places that keep changing. If you like Thai, there's Sawatdee (fancier, opens earlier Sundays) or Ruam Mit on St Peter (less ambience, good curry) --

5. So many good suggestions already. What do you like? Museums - the HIstory one already mentioned, the Science Museum of MN uphill on Kellog near the Irish pubs mentioned (I love the glyptodont? is it? giant fossil on the lower level. Churches there's the Cathedral, but also Maria Himmelfahrt much closer and downhill from the Cathedral (ask the "Crashed Ice" -- and see that spectacle also if it fits your dates) (and nearer the pubs by the XCEL center)

So much to see, so little time -- and then there's the great railfan area near the station, and -

As others said, PM me if you want. (check your google map first)

I've lived near SPUD for 30 years, but maybe not up-to-date on all new pubs and restaurants etc.

It all depends on what you like and how you want to spend your layover --

Me, I'd take the 3hour circle walk along the river and up the bluff to Mound's Park past the Hoffman rail interchange (5% of all USA rail traffic) and back down 7th, walk the "Bruce Vento" trail, and catch supper and a few beers anyplace near SPUD. But when travelling, I always need a good leg-stretching walk. YMMV

I'd recommend the J.J.Hill (Empire Builder) House: http://sites.mnhs.org/historic-sites/james-j-hill-house Wife & I took a guided tour a few years ago and the place is simply...uh...splendiferous! Below is the rear entrance:

IMG_1509b.JPG

St. Paul's Cathedral is only a block away. Be in the vicinity on the hour and listen for the cracked bell - unless it's been repaired.

Here are answers to my questions based on my actual visit to the Saint Paul Depot.

There is a lounge for sleeper passengers. You need a code for the locked door to the lounge. The code was provided at the Baggage Check counter and I did not have to ask for the code.

The lounge has a TV and comfortable seating. There is a water cooler and coffee pot but there was no coffee available while I was there.

The Saint Paul Depot Wi-Fi works in the lounge. I was able to complete several postings to a website that I update frequently.

The lounge effectively prevented being bothered by the folks in the station looking for handouts. It was a Sunday and the depot was fairly quiet during most of the day. The only folks hanging around asked for a handout. This became less of a problem in the hour or two before train time as more people came to wait for the train.

There are no showers.

Nothing available on the Sunday that I was there except for a few vending machines.

3. Can I safely store my carry on luggage somewhere in the lounge or station?

Carryon luggage can be checked at the Baggage Check/Ticket Counter. I was not charged to check my carryon bag.

There are numerous places to eat and/or drink in Saint Paul. Others are available via a ride on the Green Line light rail.

I enjoyed a Chicago Style Hot Dog and beer at Bulldogs Lowertown Pub. I spent several hours there watching the Blackhawks play the Wild. Also got to see some of the Daytona 500.

Thanks,

Ralph

The Westbound Empire Builder arrived in Saint Paul early, left on time and maintained on time performance all the way to my destination of Shelby, Montana. Service provided by my car attendant was excellent. Rooms were clean, hallways were vacuumed periodically and the shower room and bathrooms were kept clean. All in all a very pleasant Amtrak experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back