Staffed to Unstaffed Stations Master Thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And almost no checked baggage.
Checked baggage is an amenity which is cheap for Amtrak to provide and highly valuable to customers. The cutbacks in checked baggage service are just dumb.

If checked baggage is more cheaply done with an onboard baggageman than with a baggageman at every station, fine, but one way or the other, cutting checked baggage cuts ridership and revenue by more than it can possibly cut costs.

Sadly, it looks like Amtrak may be about to do another round of ticket agent cutbacks. :( This article confirms Kalamazoo will become unstaffed in early 2020, at an undetermined date. To me though, why Kalamazoo of all staffed Amtrak stations? KAL is one of the busiest Amtrak stations in that state, and to me seems just as extremely stupid to unstaff as Cincinnati was, considering how many riders use it. Granted I know Cincy's ridership unfortunately is a little less, but that isn't the fault of that station, and more the fact it only runs 3 days a week. Also the late night train times(after 1:30am going west, and about 3:30am going east), probably don't help with ridership in Cincy. Anyway: https://wwmt.com/news/local/kalamazoos-amtrak-ticket-window-to-close-in-2020

And the area around the beautiful station is not where I want to be after dark!

Buh-bye STP!

https://www.amtrak.com/services/con...rtDate-20200106.stations-NYP|TPA|ORL|STP.html

St. Petersburg Thruway Stop Closing
Effective January 2, 2020
The Amtrak Thruway stop in St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL, will be closed, but Amtrak thruway buses will continue to serve the stop daily. If you are traveling to or from St. Petersburg-Clearwater, please refer to the following:

Waiting area: Customers will no longer have access to the waiting area and restrooms.
Baggage options: Customers will be able to check baggage traveling south to St. Petersburg-Clearwater but will not be able to check baggage from St. Petersburg-Clearwater to another destination.
Other stations: Customers seeking assistance or other services can use the ticket windows with customer service representatives at the Amtrak station in Tampa, daily from 9:45 am to 6:15 pm.

I just noticed that Amtrak has part-time positions listed for customer service representatives at Lamy (2), Maricopa (2), Cincinnati, Garden City, Ottumwa, Topeka, Texarkana, and Fort Madison.

I assume by reading your post that there is only one position available for Cincinnati. If the Cardinal had baggage service available, one person with sufficient strength could handle the job. Sell tickets, answer questions before the train's arrival; shut that part of the operation as to the train arrives to then handle luggage by getting down to the platform and on the train.

It looks like the Maricopa position has been filled :( I saw the opening on a local job board and I got excited about the prospect of working for a commuter rail in AZ.

Would any current customer service rep be able to tell me what normal day-to-day looks like as a customer service rep. Any tips for next time a position opens up?

Thank you so much

I assume by reading your post that there is only one position available for Cincinnati. If the Cardinal had baggage service available, one person with sufficient strength could handle the job. Sell tickets, answer questions before the train's arrival; shut that part of the operation as to the train arrives to then handle luggage by getting down to the platform and on the train.

They most likely are hiring more then one person. Simply to have an extra board.

Any tips for next time a position opens up?

Yes. If you're truly interested in the job, apply as soon as you can.

It looks like the Maricopa position has been filled :( I saw the opening on a local job board and I got excited about the prospect of working for a commuter rail in AZ.

Would any current customer service rep be able to tell me what normal day-to-day looks like as a customer service rep. Any tips for next time a position opens up?

Thank you so much

It's back up for applications if you truly are interested.

Back