Standing room only

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

New Rider

Apparantly, Amtrak overbooked a few trains this holiday weekend. On one northeast corridor train I was standing against a post in an unused cafe car that was in the middle of the train for a while until we got well clear of NY City. Anything I should do in response?

Seems par for thecourse on some runs, I was on Capitol 547 today which left Sacramento full, and became SRO at Davis. Pretty uncomfortable to have to stand for a couple of hours, but sometimes it's necessary unfortunately. I hear this can also be a problem on the NEC especially between New York and Philly.

New Rider said:
Apparantly, Amtrak overbooked a few trains this holiday weekend. On one northeast corridor train I was standing against a post in an unused cafe car that was in the middle of the train for a while until we got well clear of NY City. Anything I should do in response?
You'll need to be more specific, either giving us the train number or at least what time you departed from NY and where you were headed.

While most trains on the NEC were reserved, there were still some that were unreserved. If you were on an unreserved train, then over crowding could be expected.

However if you were on a reserved train then that should not have happened. I'm not sure though just what if any recourse you might have, especially if the overcrowding was caused by another train having problems or a car being removed due to mechanical problems.

I know there have been unhappy people on Silver Service the past few days. According to the AC from P091-25 he had 319 people at his max out, and people sitting in the lounge car coming into Orlando (since it usually gets back to normalcy in South Carolina that's bad). Reportedly today's 98 (P098-27) was showing 260 out of West Palm Beach and 120 on in Orlando. Fortunately both the Meteor and Star are carrying five coaches and two attendants most of the trip.

battalion51 said:
I know there have been unhappy people on Silver Service the past few days. According to the AC from P091-25 he had 319 people at his max out, and people sitting in the lounge car coming into Orlando (since it usually gets back to normalcy in South Carolina that's bad). Reportedly today's 98 (P098-27) was showing 260 out of West Palm Beach and 120 on in Orlando. Fortunately both the Meteor and Star are carrying five coaches and two attendants most of the trip.
That's bad considering 5 Coches will only get you 275 seats. If the 260 on at West Palm Beach stay on past Orlando, that means a total of 380 passengers after Orlando. Either some of those passengers are in the Sleepers or there was a big screw up in reservations.

Well keep in mind that a lot of people get off in Orlando too. I would guess at LEAST 80 people got off in Orlando.

Cheif, How many sleepers? 2, or did they up it to 3? The Meteor does have its dorm back, right? I'm sorry if I forgot a few details.

I think both the Star and the Meteor are running with two Viewliners for November only due to this Viewliner refrubishment program. When did the Meteor loose a dorm? Just thought sometimes there was a substitute due to bad ordered equipment?

Amfleet said:
I think both the Star and the Meteor are running with two Viewliners for November only due to this Viewliner refrubishment program. When did the Meteor loose a dorm? Just thought sometimes there was a substitute due to bad ordered equipment?
There was a period of time a Viewliner had to sub for the dorm I believe due to a shortage of some sort. Must've been quite a few in maintenence. I think it lost it temporarily for the tail end of the summer, but has it back in all likelihood now.

Actually they just whacked the Dorm, the 12 car was still there, no 13 car was added. But once the Dorms were back the 12 car was gone. Now I'll confirm tomorrow but I believe Silver Service is up to 3 sleepers this weekend.

Well I saw 92 today, just two sleepers. I didn't see the Meteor, but I'm taking 97 tomorrow, so I'll find out for sure then.

battalion51 said:
I didn't see the Meteor, but I'm taking 97 tomorrow, so I'll find out for sure then.
Guess you should have brought your telescope so that you could better see the Meteor. :lol: :D Of course you sometimes can see them just by looking up at the sky, even without a telescope. :lol: :D :lol: :)

:lol: You're a funny guy Alan. I just missed the Meteor at Winter Park, the Engineer on 92 said I probably only missed him by five minutes (I would've known had I not forgotten my radio at my Aunt & Uncles). But we still got to see Q455 and 92. :D

battalion51 said:
(I would've known had I not forgotten my radio at my Aunt & Uncles).
Oh, no. :eek:

Now you've committed the cardinal sin. Your radio should be the same as an American Express card.

You don't leave home with out it. :lol: :D :)

Of course I'm just kidding, besides you've got a few more years before you can get your own American Express card. :lol: :D :)

Well I was rushing to get out the door and I said "Well I get it once I put my stuff in the truck." Well I forgot about it. :( :unsure: But I survived, and will always remember it now.

battalion51 said:
Well I was rushing to get out the door and I said "Well I get it once I put my stuff in the truck." Well I forgot about it. :( :unsure: But I survived, and will always remember it now.
These things happen. :)

Trust me, it won't be the last thing that you forget in life. :eek: :lol: :D :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back