Starlight vs Semi - no injuries -12/20/2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a chip truck. So glad the driver was apparently OK. They did not mention if it was the northbound, or southbound, CS. Hmmmn, looks like it's the 11 southbound, left Portland only a few minutes late and still not arrived in Salem (where it was due two hours ago). The northbound train #14 is also between Salem and Portland right now, I wonder if it will get hung up as well.

c0kjtkhucaajvvf.jpg

Looks like someone high centered their truck while crossing an active rail line. When it comes to commercial truckers cowboy logic is their copilot and that which does not kill them only makes them bolder. This driver needs a fine for all costs involved and have his commercial license permanently revoked.

You can't use his mistake to then judge all other truck drivers.

No doubt, that truck driver f'd up and got the trailer high centered.

I wonder too if the truck driver had a valid CDL license.

I bet Amtrak trains hit many, many more cars than trucks.

Note in the 2nd photo in the news article the engines pulling the CS.

You can't use his mistake to then judge all other truck drivers. No doubt, that truck driver f'd up and got the trailer high centered. I wonder too if the truck driver had a valid CDL license. I bet Amtrak trains hit many, many more cars than trucks. Note in the 2nd photo in the news article the engines pulling the CS.
I don't judge commercial truckers by one random mistake. I judge them based on what I've seen on the road and at commercial loading sites with my own two eyes. I've driven a lot of miles over the years and I've seen a lot of dangerous maneuvers and inexcusable screw-ups by commercial drivers. Simply put, these people are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Impacting a private sedan or even a conventional pickup truck has rather little chance of physically harming anyone on board a train. It will scratch the train's exterior and delay everyone while they wait for a coroner but passengers on board the train will survive the even unscathed and the train itself is unlikely to suffer more than superficial damage. Unfortunately vehicles of a commercial size and weight represent a far more serious threat. Commercial trucks are a real and present danger to trains and those who ride them and as such their drivers should be held to a much higher standard those of vehicles which represent a relatively minor threat by comparison

Last edited by a moderator:
Note in the 2nd photo in the news article the engines pulling the CS.
It seems I've seen a lot of videos lately on Youtube with the CS having one or two P42s and a Dash 8.

Just a chip truck. So glad the driver was apparently OK. They did not mention if it was the northbound, or southbound, CS. Hmmmn, looks like it's the 11 southbound, left Portland only a few minutes late and still not arrived in Salem (where it was due two hours ago). The northbound train #14 is also between Salem and Portland right now, I wonder if it will get hung up as well.
Looks like this errant truck driver got hit by 11, but managed to delay 14, 508 and 507 in order of decreasing severity.

You can't use his mistake to then judge all other truck drivers. No doubt, that truck driver f'd up and got the trailer high centered. I wonder too if the truck driver had a valid CDL license. I bet Amtrak trains hit many, many more cars than trucks. Note in the 2nd photo in the news article the engines pulling the CS.
I don't judge commercial truckers by one random mistake. I judge them based on what I've seen on the road and at commercial loading sites with my own two eyes. I've driven a lot of miles over the years and I've seen a lot of dangerous maneuvers and inexcusable screw-ups by commercial drivers. Simply put, these people are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Impacting a private sedan or even a conventional pickup truck has rather little chance of physically harming anyone on board a train. It will scratch the train's exterior and delay everyone while they wait for a coroner but passengers on board the train will survive the even unscathed and the train itself is unlikely to suffer more than superficial damage. Unfortunately vehicles of a commercial size and weight represent a far more serious threat. Commercial trucks are a real and present danger to trains and those who ride them and as such their drivers should be held to a much higher standard those of vehicles which represent a relatively minor threat by comparison
Don't tar the whole lot with a broad brush, there are plenty of professionals around but there are too many haulers hiring poorly trained drivers to operate marginally maintained rigs all in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

You've actually seen a vast majority of big truck drivers not screw up.

But that's a common mistake lots of people make when it comes to lots of topics.

Citing only those experiences that support their biased or stereotyped viewpoint.

FWIW, lots of truck drivers are very smart (very sharp tacks) and well educated.

Since few retail stores have train track sidings behind them, the way most goods get transported in the world is by commercial trucks.

What alternative means would you suggest to keep our economy going?

Self-driving trucks should eventually make their appearance, and change the whole picture.

Of course this will mean a lot of truckers jobs get lost, which is not a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back